Viewing 53 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Worst blown calls in Tampa Bay sports history Gary Shelton, Times Sports Columnist? ? April 26, 2014 9:48pm simeon_zps1e528e90.jpgThey were robbed, okay? They were swindled. They were hijacked. They were burgled. They were plundered. And to this day, to this hour, the memory of it ticks you off. Yeah, yeah. Sure, the professional sports teams of Tampa Bay have caused themselves considerably more damage than the referees and umpires of their sport. When all three teams have spent time as the worst franchise in professional sports, that's a given. But that call? At that time? Are you kidding? Say this for the Tampa Bay Lightning. When its pockets were picked in Game 3 on that disallowed goal by Alex Killorn, it reminded us all of the history of atrocity that this town has endured. No, it hasn't exactly endured Don Denkinger, whose missed call once cost the Cardinals a World Series. It hasn't been the Hand of God (more like the hand of Bruce Allen). But it stings. Still. Ask Bert Emanuel. Ask Evan Longoria. Ask Killorn and Fredrik Modin and Kellen Winslow and Simeon Rice and Chad Qualls. Ask a Tampa Bay sports fan. Yes, a break has come to a Tampa Bay team on occasion. Ask someone from Calgary about the goal that wasn't allowed in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final. But calls that go your way never stick with you the same way, do they? Again, the teams have self-inflicted more damage than officials ever could. Hey, someone had to make the call to trade for Booker Reese. Someone had to draft Kenyatta Walker and re-sign Michael Clayton and pick receiver Dexter Jackson in the second round. And someone had to trade for Marc Denis and give away Brad Richards and sign Gerard Gallant. And someone had to sign Toe Nash and let Buster Posey slide and not hang onto Josh Hamilton. But officials are supposed to be like judges. They are supposed to be fair and just and right. Sometimes, they aren't. A look at the 10 worst blown calls in Tampa Bay history. A warning: This may raise your blood pressure. 10. Ben Zobrist strikes out April 8, 2013 It was only an early season game against Texas, but for goodness' sake, what a bad call. Zobrist had Strike 3 called on him — for the final out of the game —on a ball that was so low and outside, it might have killed earthworms. It was comically awful. 9. Zdeno Chara scores from the rafters Nov. 4, 2006 Chara scored with 46.6 seconds left in the third period to tie the score and lead the Bruins to an overtime victory. The Lightning, and especially goaltender Marc Denis, insisted Chara was guilty of swinging a high stick on the play, and the replay seen by the league was nonconclusive. The play sparked a lot of league discussion about which replays it should use. 8. Rice's flying leap Oct. 6, 2003 What most remember about, perhaps, the most painful regular-season loss in Bucs history is the Colts' sensational Monday Night Football comeback. But if you're looking for a single play, it came when Simeon Rice was flagged for leaping (leaping?) in an attempt to block a missed 40-yard field goal in overtime. (They won the game on the rekick). The league stood by the call. Rice, however, always insisted he did not land on a teammate (which, supposedly, is what made the play illegal). 7. Derek Jeter has an owie Sept. 15, 2010 You can call it gamesmanship if you want. The fact is a pitch that was judged to have hit the Yankees' Derek Jeter never touched him. Instead, it hit the bottom of the bat. The trainer came out to tend to Jeter, however, and the umpire awarded him first base. A lesser player, and it wouldn't even be a memory. But Jeter? 6. Winslow is roughed Dec. 19, 2010 Granted, a lot of these plays happen in a season. But the league agreed that Kellen Winslow was the player who was interfered with, not the guilty party, in a 23-20 OT loss to the Lions. Here's the thing: If the Bucs had won the game, they would've reached the playoffs instead of the Packers, who eventually won the Super Bowl. And Raheem Morris might not have been fired after the following season. 5. Michael Young and Strike 4 Oct. 7, 2010 The Rays were in the AL Division Series against the Rangers when a check swing that will always haunt manager Joe Maddon occurred. Young apparently went too far when he tried to hold back from a Chad Qualls pitch. The umpire called a ball, however, and on the next pitch, Young hit a three-run homer. Maddon was ejected. In a five-game series, it was a crucial call. 4. Modin and his skate May 2, 2003 The Lightning was eliminated from its playoff series against New Jersey in grueling fashion. The Lightning lost a triple-overtime, 111-minute effort in which it never attempted a power play. Even worse, Fredrik Modin had a goal called back in regulation when the officials ruled the puck went in off his skate. Replays, however, showed a Devils player had kicked Modin's skate. 3. Longoria's invisible tag Oct. 26, 2008 The Rays trailed two games to one in the World Series when Evan Longoria clearly tagged out the Phillies' Jimmy Rollins as he retreated to third. The umpire called Rollins safe. He scored on his way to a 10-2 victory that essentially sealed the Series. 2. Ryan Callahan fills the goal April 20, 2014 In the latest entry to the "can you believe that call" list, Callahan scored just after Alex Killorn was called for interfering with Montreal goalie Carey Price. The problem was Price had an inordinate amount of time to recover before the goal went in. Yes, the Lightning was swept, which calms the outrage, but for a moment, the team had life again. And then it was gone. 1. The Emanuel catch Jan. 23, 2000 Ever notice that it isn't referred to as "the noncatch?'' Bert Emanuel seemingly made a clutch 13-yard reception late in the Bucs' 11-6 loss in the 1999 NFC title game against the Rams that was ruled incomplete. It was a play that was commonly called a catch at the time — and, since the rule was changed that offseason, in every season since. Ask a Bucs fan. Watch the veins stick out in his neck as he insists that was a good catch. Then. Now. Always.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Winslow interference should be higher. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Winslow play should be much higher, if the Bucs win that game they would have made the playoffs. Had that team made the playoffs it would have changed the career path of Rah, Dom, and Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That. Was. A. Catch. Period..The league wanted the most exciting team of that season in the Superbowl, not the defensive stud Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After the Emanuel catch fiasco, the rule was NOT changed that offseason. The NFL issued a clarification on the rule. As if it matters, but people discussing it often make it sound like the incomplete call was technically correct but an outcome the NFL didn't want. It wasn't, and we just clearly got screwed on a call reversed under replay.And it obviously was a desperate conspiracy quickly hatched by the ne'er-do-well refs to keep the Bucs from reaching their destiny as Super Bowl champions. ;)

A clarification of what is a pass reception was made by the committee; it doesn't have to be voted on, and will be used beginning with the 2000 season."A receiver has to have possession of the ball and control of the ball," Green said. "Then, if his knee hits the ground and the ball hits the ground, as long as he maintained control of the ball, it's a catch."That interpretation could become known as the Bert Emanuel Rule. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/03/28/meetings_celebrations_ap/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Colts recovered an illegal onside kick in the 2003 game. The ball has to either HIT THE GROUND and go 10 yards or hit the receiving team. Vanderjagt hit it straight up and Bashir plucked it out of the air.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That winslow call was horrible. Defender never looked for the ball and had his arms almost bearhugged around k2.Meanwhile, k2 is looking for the ball and had both hands up.Even if he pushed off beforehand(which in that play he didn't), they waited an awful long time to call it. At least until a Detroit infraction was made.That game proved to me that the nfl WILL get "their" teams in playoffs with the help of a handful of pitiful calls. It was so obvious, the nfl fo hand no choice but to send a "sorry, but we BFed you this time" letter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Emmanuel was a catch. The worse one was that I don’t think Proehl was in bounds when he made his catch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why do people act like the Bert Emanuel call was the difference between a win and a loss?  The dude wasn’t in the endzone.  He was at the 23-yard line.  And if he makes the catch, it’s still third and freaking long, against a top-5 NFL defense, in their own stadium, with 40 seconds remaining.For 15 years, I've heard Bucs fans fuss about the difference between a 3rd and 23 and a 3rd and 11.  But the likely truth is, if Bert makes the catch, we still lose that game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course even if we get the Emanuel’s play ruled a catch, it was still 4th and long.  The call was technically correct so it can’t be called a blown call, no matter how unjust it was.  To me the Winslow call was the worst.  It was so outrageous and changed the history of the Bucs and Packers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That winslow call was horrible. Defender never looked for the ball and had his arms almost bearhugged around k2.Meanwhile, k2 is looking for the ball and had both hands up.Even if he pushed off beforehand(which in that play he didn't), they waited an awful long time to call it. At least until a Detroit infraction was made.That game proved to me that the nfl WILL get "their" teams in playoffs with the help of a handful of pitiful calls. It was so obvious, the nfl fo hand no choice but to send a "sorry, but we BFed you this time" letter.

That catch happened literally right in front of me.  Winslow pushed off...there is no question about it.  However the guy he pushed off from was quite literally hugging him.  He had his arms around him.  I've seen TV replays of it, and it doesnt look like it on the replay (but its from a different angle).  On the field, with Winslow almost falling on me, I can tell you that the defenders arms were holding Winslow's arms down and preventing him from lifting them into the air.Also, the worst call ever in Tampa sports history...had no impact on the game whatsoever.I forget who the opponent was...and it must have been...5...6 years ago now.  But the Bucs intercepted the ball, ran it back some, and then whoever intercepted the ball threw an illegal forward pass which HIT THE TURF.  The other team picked that up as if it was a fumble and advanced it a bit.  The refs rewarded the ball to the other team.  In what world do you give an incomplete pass...illegal or otherwise...to the team that picks up the ball after it hits the ground?  The refs even admitted in their explanation of the play that it was an incomplete illegal forward pass.  The only thing I can think of is that they were thinking of the caveat that if the other team INTERCEPTS an illegal forward pass, it is their ball.  The kicker is...the guy who threw the illegal pass...was DOWN before he threw the pass...and the refs even said THAT in their explanation of the play.  They messed it up royally....I guess they thought that an illegal forward pass is such a special play it trumps every other rule of football.On a personal level, I think the worst call ever in Tampa sports history is not letting Talib kill the guy who knocked peanut out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course even if we get the Emanuel's play ruled a catch, it was still 4th and long.  The call was technically correct so it can't be called a blown call, no matter how unjust it was.  To me the Winslow call was the worst.  It was so outrageous and changed the history of the Bucs and Packers.

He pushed off, period. Winslow has a long and sad history of getting OPI calls so that shouldn't have shocked anyone. The problem with the hurt Emmanuel non catch was that while it was 4th down it was a makeable 4th down as opposed to the unmakeable 4th we got.

Please wait…

• barbuc

Participant

The way I see it, number 8 completely changed the fate of our franchise. That began a downward spiral that we’ve never fully recovered from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course even if we get the Emanuel's play ruled a catch, it was still 4th and long.  The call was technically correct so it can't be called a blown call, no matter how unjust it was.  To me the Winslow call was the worst.  It was so outrageous and changed the history of the Bucs and Packers.

He pushed off, period. Winslow has a long and sad history of getting OPI calls so that shouldn't have shocked anyone. The problem with the hurt Emmanuel non catch was that while it was 4th down it was a makeable 4th down as opposed to the unmakeable 4th we got.

The incompletion occurred on second down, which left the Buccaneers with a completely unmanageable 3rd and 23.  If Emanuel makes the catch, it would've been 3rd and 11.  It's definitely a better outcome, if we get the call, but people act like the referees took away a touchdown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Edell Sheppard. I was at that game and have never been so furious with a call in my life. 3 steps, two knees, both hips, both elbows. DROP.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m usually pretty even-keeled and am not a conspiracy theorist; nevertheless, as we were watching that Rams game, my brother and I both felt like it was rigged.  There were several questionable issues before the Emmanuel fiasco.  What’s even worse is that two cousins from St. Louis were with us and they agreed that many things seemed crooked, but were celebrating the fact.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That catch happened literally right in front of me.  Winslow pushed off...there is no question about it.  However the guy he pushed off from was quite literally hugging him.  He had his arms around him.  I've seen TV replays of it, and it doesnt look like it on the replay (but its from a different angle).  On the field, with Winslow almost falling on me, I can tell you that the defenders arms were holding Winslow's arms down and preventing him from lifting them into the air.Also, the worst call ever in Tampa sports history...had no impact on the game whatsoever.I forget who the opponent was...and it must have been...5...6 years ago now.  But the Bucs intercepted the ball, ran it back some, and then whoever intercepted the ball threw an illegal forward pass which HIT THE TURF.  The other team picked that up as if it was a fumble and advanced it a bit.  The refs rewarded the ball to the other team.  In what world do you give an incomplete pass...illegal or otherwise...to the team that picks up the ball after it hits the ground?  The refs even admitted in their explanation of the play that it was an incomplete illegal forward pass.  The only thing I can think of is that they were thinking of the caveat that if the other team INTERCEPTS an illegal forward pass, it is their ball.  The kicker is...the guy who threw the illegal pass...was DOWN before he threw the pass...and the refs even said THAT in their explanation of the play.  They messed it up royally....I guess they thought that an illegal forward pass is such a special play it trumps every other rule of football.On a personal level, I think the worst call ever in Tampa sports history is not letting Talib kill the guy who knocked peanut out.

While there,  did you see some greenbacks sticking out of the refs pockets?That freaking play would've been the only time we would've made playoffs in the last ten seasons. So for me, it was made to be a big deal, and as time moves on those refs become even bigger d bags.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think K2's rep had a lot to do with that call. He would constantly push off defenders. The opposing coaches would always lobby the refs before the game to watch K2.  So I think they were sending K2 a message, they just picked the wrong play to do it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Edell Sheppard. I was at that game and have never been so furious with a call in my life. 3 steps, two knees, both hips, both elbows. DROP.

He didn't catch it. But in the same game, Rice sack/stripped Brunell, Bucs were running it for a TD and the official blew his whistle saying incomplete pass. Never really seen it since but at the time I was pretty sure it was a fumble.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He didn't catch it. But in the same game, Rice sack/stripped Brunell, Bucs were running it for a TD and the official blew his whistle saying incomplete pass. Never really seen it since but at the time I was pretty sure it was a fumble.

Well, hopefully we don't have to endure any more blatant BS calls, with replay expanding. In the NFL that is. Baseball will catch up with replay in another 20 years maybe.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Colts recovered an illegal onside kick in the 2003 game. The ball has to either HIT THE GROUND and go 10 yards or hit the receiving team. Vanderjagt hit it straight up and Bashir plucked it out of the air.

I am so glad someone mentioned this one.  Totally agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That colts game was full of foolishness. I thought I was on crazy pills that night.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That colts game was full of foolishness. I thought I was on crazy pills that night.

I was told that John Lynch had to be physically restrained outside of the officials locker room, he was so irate after that game.  That was one of, perhaps THE, the most bizarre and sickening moments in my long life as a Bucs fan- and that says a lot. Someone earlier said it, and they were right- this franchise has never seemed to recover from that night.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we are considering all sports in Tampa Bay history, then this disallowed goal by Rodney Marsh of the Rowdies vs the Ft Lauderdale Strikers has to rank up there. It is one of the best goals ever scored in US soccer history and the refs killed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7fRexO3yw

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On a personal level, I think the worst call ever in Tampa sports history is not letting Talib kill the guy who knocked peanut out.

LOLGood call.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That play gets my vote. He whacked his arm forward.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was told that John Lynch had to be physically restrained outside of the officials locker room, he was so irate after that game.  That was one of, perhaps THE, the most bizarre and sickening moments in my long life as a Bucs fan- and that says a lot. Someone earlier said it, and  they were right- this franchise has never seemed to recover from that night.

I said it and I believe it. It was the beginning of the Dungy Myth and gradual beginning of the end of Gruden.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are only two others that stick out in my memory that weren’t listed.One is the Micheal Clayton "fumble" against Miami where he caught the ball was tackled rolled over with a defender on top of him, got up dropped the ball because the play was over then Jason Taylor picked the ball up and they called it a fumble and a recovery by the D!!The other is when Mike Williams was pushed out of bounds and came back and caught the game winning (or was it tieing?) TD catch but they called it an illegal touch because Freeman was outside the pocket so MWIll was allowed to be pushed out of bounds!? BS!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On the Michael Clayton play one the officials ruled it an interception since Jason Taylor caught the ball as it came towards him in the air. Although before that, pictures clearly show Clayton with his butt, back and elbows on the ground with a Dolphins player on him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The way I see it, number 8 completely changed the fate of our franchise. That began a downward spiral that we've never fully recovered from.

Exactly.  The team was just never the same after that game.  They came into the 2003 season looking unstoppable, and through most of that game seemed destined to continue that way.  The wheels kind of fell off when Brian Kelly got injured and Tim Wansley was sent in to replace him.  I got to believe though, that if they had managed to pull out that victory as they should have, they would have regrouped and come back strong for the rest of the season.  Instead, they got double-teamed by the Colts and the Zebras, and never managed to regain their swagger for the rest of the season.  The disappointment of that season allowed the front office to let the heart of the team leave for Oakland, and the long slow decline of the once dominant Bucs D began.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

.  Instead, they got double-teamed by the Colts and the Zebras, and never managed to regain their swagger for the rest of the season.  The disappointment of that season allowed the front office to let the heart of the team leave for Oakland, and the long slow decline of the once dominant Bucs D began.

I think Carolina blocking our game winning XP took away the team's swagger more than the Colts game. That 2003 team could have been great but just had alot of flukey things happen. But the Bucs defense didn't really miss a beat without Sapp. 2004 we were #5, 2005 #1, 2007 #2 with backups playing last 6 qtrs, 2008 they were top 5 until the last monthThe one thing that happened as a result of 2003 was Gruden running McKay out of here and the franchise turning into a chit show.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL that people are still whining about the Winslow interference call."The Refs robbed the Bucs of that win and a playoff berth!!"When will people stop using that bull sh*t excuse?You people do realize that that play happened with 9:08 left in the game, right? Do you not realize that the Bucs tied the game up 2 plays later? Do you also not realize that the Bucs got the ball back a few plays later and the Bucs had yet another drive stall in Detroit's redzone resulting in them taking a 20-17 lead? 908_zpsc1c4e6a6.pngThe Bucs lost because they didn't play well enough through 4qtrs and OT to win.....not because of the refs.S.M.F.H.Summary: That play occurred with around 9 minutes to go in the 4th quarter on a 3rd down and goal. The Bucs had not only another shot to score a TD, but the following FG allowed them to tie the game at 17. Then the Bucs got the ball again 5-6 plays later and once again couldn't push it in for a score, so they had to settle for a FG, giving them a 20-17 lead with less than 2 minutes to go. The "refs stole that game" is such a lame excuse. The Bucs lost that game because Stanton and Megatron did pretty much what they wanted and the Bucs D couldn't tackle Maurice Morris when they needed to. The refs stole nothing. Questionable calls happen. Good teams rise above them when given the opportunity, and the Bucs didn't. No officiating crew has a perfect game. Refs being imperfect is a part of the game. Teams that play well enough to rise above it, win....the one's who don't...well...don't. The Bucs didn't play enough to win. Period.The Bucs defense then completely tanked, allowing Stanton, Megatron, and Morris do whatever they wanted.Blaming the refs for that loss is not only pathetic, but it's also a cop out....but go ahead and continue to ignore what happened in the entire scope of the game, and continue to blame the big bad refs for "stealing" a win for the Bucs, along with their playoff hopes.  ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was just thinking about the Emmanuel call/travesty/crime against football the other day. I hope nothing ever unseats that as the worst call against us because that was a doozy. I still get furious about it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On a personal level, I think the worst call ever in Tampa sports history is not letting Talib kill the guy who knocked peanut out.

LOLGood call.

I am trying to remember that players name.Weston?Watson?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David Wesley?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David Wesley?

Ya there you go, thanks.  IIRC, I don't think there was ever a fine or anything for that hit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree, as this wasn’t in the least controversial. Clearly the refs made the wrong call by rewarding the Colts possession despite their illegal touching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David Wesley?

Oops...wrong Wesley.Brad.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All 3 calls involving the Bucs were terrible on that list, but a comment on each game:1. The Rice/Colts call:Yes, that was a terrible call, but don't have one of the biggest 4th quarter choke jobs in NFL history and you're never in that position.2. The Winslow/Lions callAgain, bad call, but don't struggle against a Lions team that hadn't won a road game in forever OR don't go really conservative when you had the hottest QB in the NFL and settle for a FG on the last drive of regulation and you probably still win.3. The non-catchScore more than 6 points. Refs very rarely cost teams game. They do that themself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JC5100:   "Colts recovered an illegal onside kick in the 2003 game. The ball has to either HIT THE GROUND and go 10 yards or hit the receiving team. Vanderjagt hit it straight up and Bashir plucked it out of the air."This is not correct. A kickoff is a live ball once it has traveled ten yards down the field. On that play however, the Bucs signaled fair catch. Unknown to most fans, once fair catch is called a defensive player cannot touch the ball until after it hits the ground. Meaning even if it hits the offensive player and bounces into the air, the defense still cannot touch ball or player until that ball hits the ground. To do so constitutes fair catch interference. That's why onside kicks are always driven into the ground, it negates the offenses ability to call for a fair catch. Colts failed to do this, refs pretended not to notice, and the Bucs got robbed. One of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David Wesley?

It was Dante Wesley.. I did have the wrong one. Please don't punt my baby.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we are considering all sports in Tampa Bay history, then this disallowed goal by Rodney Marsh of the Rowdies vs the Ft Lauderdale Strikers has to rank up there. It is one of the best goals ever scored in US soccer history and the refs killed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7fRexO3yw

OMG what a beautiful goal. They called the other player offsides? I thought if the other players had nothing to do with the goal then the offsides was overlooked if the shot went directly in. I'm glad this is before my time because I would have had a fit.  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

David Wesley?

It was Dante Wesley.. I did have the wrong one. Please don't punt my baby.

It was a joke. I was referring to Brad Wessley. The character from "Road House".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I knew he looked familiar

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

.  Instead, they got double-teamed by the Colts and the Zebras, and never managed to regain their swagger for the rest of the season.  The disappointment of that season allowed the front office to let the heart of the team leave for Oakland, and the long slow decline of the once dominant Bucs D began.

I think Carolina blocking our game winning XP took away the team's swagger more than the Colts game. That 2003 team could have been great but just had alot of flukey things happen. But the Bucs defense didn't really miss a beat without Sapp. 2004 we were #5, 2005 #1, 2007 #2 with backups playing last 6 qtrs, 2008 they were top 5 until the last monthThe one thing that happened as a result of 2003 was Gruden running McKay out of here and the franchise turning into a chit show.

I always say the high water mark for this franchise wasn't the Super Bowl win, but drubbing the Eagles to open the link and hearing Madden say- " the Buccaneers are up here, and the rest of the league is down here somewhere."  2003 was just snake bit I believe.  When Alstott took out JJ, and we lost two key players in one fluke play, when Gramatica gets a PAT blocked to force us into an over time loss,  that Carolina game was just a bad omen.  I really believe though, that the team was still going to find a way to right the ship.  that Colts game though was just so demoralizing and so deflating, we weren't coming back.  That loss allowed the festering personal problems and building bad chemistry that success had masked, to bubble to the surface.  Such a waste of a season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought this non call was worse than the "leaping!" call on Rice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always say the high water mark for this franchise wasn't the Super Bowl win, but drubbing the Eagles to open the link and hearing Madden say- " the Buccaneers are up here, and the rest of the league is down here somewhere."  2003 was just snake bit I believe.  When Alstott took out JJ, and we lost two key players in one fluke play, when Gramatica gets a PAT blocked to force us into an over time loss,  that Carolina game was just a bad omen.  I really believe though, that the team was still going to find a way to right the ship.  that Colts game though was just so demoralizing and so deflating, we weren't coming back.  That loss allowed the festering personal problems and building bad chemistry that success had masked, to bubble to the surface.  Such a waste of a season.

Brian Kelly got hurt in that Colts game too. Keyshawn and Gruden had a falling out. Absolutely unreal how bad that season went.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IDK man. That frekin leaping call was defitnitly a WTF moment for me.  SMH

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That whole game was a WTF moment for me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That may be more because we hadn't seen it called before.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That whole game was a WTF moment for me.

yup...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not only should the non-call on the onside kick vs. the Colts in 2003 be up there, but team it up with the “leaping” call on Vanderjagt’s missed FG in OT in the same game.  Team never recovered from that either.  Was thinking about that one even before I saw JC bring it up…good call JC.Had forgotten about the Edell Shephard drop but that one deserves mention. I'm giving away my age, but also remember the refs not giving us a first against Terry Bradshaw and the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers back in 1980 with 20 seconds left when we should have had a first down.  Bucs thought it was 1st down so Doug Williams deliberately threw the ball away thinking it was first.  the refs then refused to do a measurement after the incomplete pass. Both Williams and Richard "Batman" Woods were chewing the refs out after the game.  Not that I hold grudges.  Don't suppose anyone else recollects that one, do they?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not only should the non-call on the onside kick vs. the Colts in 2003 be up there, but team it up with the "leaping" call on Vanderjagt's missed FG in OT in the same game.  Team never recovered from that either.  Was thinking about that one even before I saw JC bring it up...good call JC.Had forgotten about the Edell Shephard drop but that one deserves mention. I'm giving away my age, but also remember the refs not giving us a first against Terry Bradshaw and the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers back in 1980 with 20 seconds left when we should have had a first down.  Bucs thought it was 1st down so Doug Williams deliberately threw the ball away thinking it was first.  the refs then refused to do a measurement after the incomplete pass. Both Williams and Richard "Batman" Woods were chewing the refs out after the game.  Not that I hold grudges.  Don't suppose anyone else recollects that one, do they?

I vaguely remember that, but time has dulled the details a bit.  I remember a couple of measurement issues over the years, most recently against the Falcons.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This has become one of the most depressing threads of all time. I feel like I’m having this recurring nightmare about that Colts game. :(

Please wait…

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.