Viewing 45 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

What We're Watching: Jameis Winston vs. Bengals by Joe Wedra 9h ago  watching_zpskr8bohw1.pngAug 15, 2015; Minneapolis, MN Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston (3) rushes for an 8 yard touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in the second quarter of a preseason NFL football game at TCF Bank Stadium. The Vikings won 26-16. Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY SportsThe storyline that is Jameis Winston grows larger by the day. For us, we can’t ask for much more than what he’s provided for us over the years.Countless storylines at Florida State, a number one overall NFL Draft pick and now pre-season play in the NFL where everyone under the sun wants to jump to conclusions.After one game.Luckily for us sane fans (yes, we do exist), looking ahead to this week vs. the Bengals is relatively easy after watching last week’s tape.Here are the three things to watch in Winston’s game on Monday night (ESPN broadcast).Improved Decision MakingFrom what we saw last Saturday, Winston still has tremendous room for improvement as far as his decision-making skills are concerned. Too many times, we saw forced throws into coverage that turn into interceptions at the NFL level.At FSU, Winston got away with tight-window forces due to his arm, the threats he had to toss to and quite simply the overall level of play when it came to ACC defenders.At this level, everyone he faces is an NFL standout.It’s a natural progression that every rookie QB must encounter to thrive on the big stage. Winston should get there, but if Tampa Bay fans want to see results immediately, it’ll be a great sign if they see fewer passes in double/triple coverage and more structured, basic throws on Monday night.Continued CommandA major plus in Winston’s first outing came at the line of scrimmage, where he looked very comfortable taking the reins of an NFL offense.While he went just 9-19 with an INT against Minnesota, Winston kept a cool and collected presence as he approached the line for pre-snap reads. It wasn’t a complex gameplan for the first pre-season outing of the season, but getting his feet wet looking across at NFL defenders was a nice touch in his debut.On Monday, look for the 21-year-old to change a play or two at the line. His intelligence will take care of the original adjustment — it’s the execution that has to be ironed out.Awareness of the OpponentThis one is as much on OC Dirk Koetter as it is Winston. Nonetheless, both have to understand who they’ll be going up against.For the first few drives, the Bengals defense will be the best unit Winston has ever played against in his life. While he’s seen talent, he’s never seen starting NFL top-tier talent like the Cincinnati group.What you’d like to see here goes hand-in-hand with the previous point: a calm mindset and smart decisions.We shouldn’t expect Winston to light it up at all on Monday night. Realistically, a couple of drives with multiple first-downs will be a strong success for the first-year signal caller. It’s all about minimizing mistakes and being able to understand the strength of who he’ll be facing.The task will be tough, but Winston has all the tools to keep balanced and put together a decent performance.At this point in the year, that’s all he needs to do.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot of this article is on point. I would love to see Koetter give him some short stuff to settle him in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot of this article is on point. I would love to see Koetter give him some short stuff to settle him in.

Agree, I thought ASJ was going to be that guy.  But it hasn't panned out that way so far. Or maybe a RB leaking out of the backfield to be a safety valve. He needs something with a crappy O-line. I will enjoy the game. Its our only primetime game of the year. Other than a Thursday night game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the stuff we did the other night wasnt deep though.  comeback to asj, deep slant to evans, out route to evans.  then a screen to murphy, a short cross to murphy.  they werent screens, but they werent bombs either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the stuff we did the other night wasnt deep though.  comeback to asj, deep slant to evans, out route to evans.  then a screen to murphy, a short cross to murphy.  they werent screens, but they werent bombs either.

I thought the ASJ play was mid range, no?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Footwork.Read count (how long until he throws).Blitz pickup. This week is a much better test.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ah I mistyped. I was referring to the first few plays. Jameis first throw was on on third down after 3 runs. I think he can again a little more confidence with a few short throws to open the game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ah I mistyped. I was referring to the first few plays. Jameis first throw was on on third down after 3 runs. I think he can again a little more confidence with a few short throws to open the game.

I think Koetter did that to let him settle in. First NFL game he was probably amped up big time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“…We shouldn’t expect Winston to light it up at all on Monday night. ..”I look forward to watching him play.  Light it up?  hahaha.

Please wait…

• snidley

Participant

The offense was an extremely vanilla version of what will be run in the regular season. If you watched practice 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 it is clear that what was shown against Minn was extremely basic and short lived. They don’t want to show Jameis strengths or his weaknesses as much as possible but will work on what they feel he needs to work on. They should slowly release the offense as the regular season develops without showing much at all imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The offense was an extremely vanilla version of what will be run in the regular season. If you watched practice 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 it is clear that what was shown against Minn was extremely basic and short lived. They don't want to show Jameis strengths or his weaknesses as much as possible but will work on what they feel he needs to work on. They should slowly release the offense as the regular season develops without showing much at all imo.

I don't expect it to change much. As bad as the O-line is, its tough to get too creative.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I want to see if that wind up is really that bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Besides Winston, it will be interesting to see if the D looks better with Lovie calling the shots.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Besides Winston, it will be interesting to see if the D looks better with Lovie calling the shots.

i'd like to see someone, anyone, breathe on Dalton

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i'd like to see someone, anyone, breathe on Dalton

I wouldn't put any money on it. They have a nice team, well coached. Their only weak link is the guy you mentioned.  IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m more interested in the third preseason game when they game plan during the week. This will give us a better idea of where Winston is at.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tweak that unorthodox, slow release. Slide feet first. Throw with anticipation…he knows the playbook.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm more interested in the third preseason game when they game plan during the week. This will give us a better idea of where Winston is at.

Your guy might get traded still. A few QB's getting banged up. RG III got hurt tonight. McCown is looking pretty bad. Buffalo needs a QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm more interested in the third preseason game when they game plan during the week. This will give us a better idea of where Winston is at.

Your guy might get traded still. A few QB's getting banged up. RG III got hurt tonight. McCown is looking pretty bad. Buffalo needs a QB.

It has to at least be a #2 or he stays put.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be nice, but I don't think anyone pays that high a price.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be nice, but I don't think anyone pays that high a price.

Good luck to them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Koetter did that to let him settle in. First NFL game he was probably amped up big time.

I really dont think they were trying to win that game.A lot of calls werent koetter-esqe. Also, winston has always been discounted for his bad footwork, but what i saw was nervousness. Those feet were all over the place.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really dont think they were trying to win that game.A lot of calls werent koetter-esqe. Also, winston has always been discounted for his bad footwork, but what i saw was nervousness. Those feet were all over the place.

Agree and hopefully we see an improvement Monday night.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I want to see him have an interception free game as well as complete a bit higher completion %.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Awareness of Opponent” – In a pre-season game? They spend about a day on the Bengals. How much will you really learn in a day? It’s all about the Titans right now and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How snugly he gets his top hand onto Evan Smiths nuts

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How are you going to watch that?  Does Gamepass have a preseason crotch cam for the rainbow crowd?

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

How are you going to watch that?  Does Gamepass have a preseason crotch cam for the rainbow crowd?

It's a extra $19.99, but it's in HD with slo-mo & 3D as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No thanks.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

No thanks.

You're missing out. Also, the proceeds go toward a covered practice facility at OBP.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ill be watching him get killed because our OL sucks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I will be watching how long it takes Gruden to say, Winston is a future HOF’er.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

I will be watching how long it takes Gruden to say, Winston is a future HOF'er.

Opening warm up throws.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

No thanks.

You're missing out. Also, the proceeds go toward a covered practice facility at OBP.

How about a covered stadium? Those early games are too fuckin hot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ill be watching him get killed because our OL sucks.

Very Possible

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A completion percentage over 50 would be nice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

all i’m hoping for is health.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

all i'm hoping for is health.

C'mon man!  Everytime I mention that, you call me a worry wart.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

shlt got real when Jordy went down

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ha Ha, I feel ya man. I will be a nervous wreck Monday night. But I know, players gotta play.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Ha Ha, I feel ya man. I will be a nervous wreck Monday night. But I know, players gotta play.

Yeah at this point I just want us to make to the Titans game in tact.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not worried about the Kid.  I know he’s going to do what he needs to do to get better.  I’m worried about those dudes in front of him.  They can either help and accelerate his learning curve or totally bring it down making it difficult to evaluate the Kid properly. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s a Bucs Life!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not worried about the Kid.  I know he's going to do what he needs to do to get better.  I'm worried about those dudes in front of him.  They can either help and accelerate his learning curve or totally bring it down making it difficult to evaluate the Kid properly.

Same herea good OL can make or break a rookie. im concerned that our line wont be able to protect him adequately and will cause some of his strugglesall rookies will struggle but a bad line can multiply the issues they experienceim praying that Smith and Marpet can step in at an acceptable level of play as well as whoever plays in Dotson's spotin terms of Winston i want to see him go through his progressions and check it down if the guys down field are covered. play smart football and take shots when the opportunity arises

Please wait…

• vlagatta

It's a Bucs Life!

It's a Bucs Siege!the bucs seriously have to consider firing their marketing firm.......both sayings are absolutely stupid.  If I were hired to give them a new slogan it would be very simple.......PUMMEL THE INFIDELS!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dont worry, you should get a good look. ES doesnt have EDS anymore.

Please wait…

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.