Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 21 reply threads

• Author

• flashgordon

Participant

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2015/11/whats-the-farthest-anyone-has-ever-run-without-stopping/

I remember Jon Gruden bringing in body builders to show his players what can be done. The flipside of these extreme body builders is well known; they can’t move their arms. We’ve had 240 pound David Boston who could run 4.3, but he wasn’t always the most effective. Well, how about these ultra-runners?

They call them ultra-marathoners; but, when you read this, I don’t think Marathon is quite the right word!

We’re talking about running like fifty or hundreds of miles, and forgoing sleep? Running hundreds of miles through death valley . . . running at the south pole? Like what?

Bobby Blue Bland I Pity The Fool (1961)

• seekpar

Participant

I thought it was Forrest Gump who ran the farthest without stopping…

• Donkey

Participant

I might make it a half mile before I stop to throw up

• Kermit56

Participant

To the bathroom each night after drinking beer all night.

• Roy

Participant

If you get in a car which is moving, does that count as stopping?

I thought it was Forrest Gump who ran the farthest without stopping…

Well if you are talking about fictional characters you have to put Superman pretty high on the list. For me though, if I have to go a long way I take a car. I find it much easier.

• flashgordon

Participant

When you’re loosing nails while running, you know you’ve gone too far!

Not to mention hallucinating because you’re not sleeping!

• spartan

Participant

I think you and I might have a lot more in common than politics :)

• Culo Con Dientes

Participant

This is an easy one. It would be me after my divorce from my psycho ex-wife. I’m still running.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I ran the CCC once. Going up that bridge was MURDER.

• Kermit56

Participant

I think you and I might have a lot more in common than politics :)

I wish I could express myself as well as you do concerning politics. I always look forward to your posts.

• flashgordon

Participant

Best I can tell, the CCC, is a French 100 mile run. So, your a ultra-marathon runner?

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Best I can tell, the CCC, is a French 100 mile run. So, your a ultra-marathon runner?

The part of the CCC that goes over the bay is a little over 9 miles, so not even close.

• Greattimes

Participant

The astronauts on the International Space Station run on a treadmill everyday they are in orbit. Traveling over 17,000 miles an hour 24/7 runs up a bunch of miles. Does that count?

• flashgordon

Participant

The part of the CCC that goes over the bay is a little over 9 miles, so not even close.

Nine miles isn’t too shabby. I know I’ve ran a 15k that had the hardest hill I’ve ever ran. I kind of take pride more in my hill running than running a marathon. Before this run, I always noted that I’ve never stopped when running a hill. Towards the top of this one hill, which had steps on it . . . I literally could not run any further without putting my hands on the ground. It was so steep there, I had to climb up the rest of the way!

• flashgordon

Participant

The astronauts on the International Space Station run on a treadmill everyday they are in orbit. Traveling over 17,000 miles an hour 24/7 runs up a bunch of miles. Does that count?

in my experience, you can’t substitute for the real thing. You can’t, say run in place, in your room, for a even a week, and expect to feel the same when running out on a trail somewhere. You can’t just bike for an hour, and then go an expect to run hard for an hour. Well, I remember hitting a wall after biking through a calf injury. Cross-training is fine, so long as your continueing to do what else your doing.

Also the heart is more important to keep in shape than the legs. The legs can get back in shape faster than the heart.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Nine miles isn’t too shabby. I know I’ve ran a 15k that had the hardest hill I’ve ever ran. I kind of take pride more in my hill running than running a marathon. Before this run, I always noted that I’ve never stopped when running a hill. Towards the top of this one hill, which had steps on it . . . I literally could not run any further without putting my hands on the ground. It was so steep there, I had to climb up the rest of the way!

9 miles is about 14.5 kilometers so I guess running the CCC could be considered a 15k. Especially having to run up that bridge. That more than covers the final half mile on flat land. I won’t do that again.

• flashgordon

Participant

9 miles is about 14.5 kilometers so I guess running the CCC could be considered a 15k. Especially having to run up that bridge. That more than covers the final half mile on flat land. I won’t do that again.

I take it you hate hills!

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Yep. A big reason why I live in Florida. The highest mountain here is a 300 foot landfill.

• flashgordon

Participant

Yep. A big reason why I live in Florida. The highest mountain here is a 300 foot landfill.

I remember a little bit of Florida. For some odd reason, they had to have us EA-6B squadrons all stationed in Washington State. If we had to get on the aircraft carrier in Florida, we’d fly clear across the country to do so. No, they can’t have the EA-6B squadrons that go to the aircraft carriers in Florida be on the East coast, and let those who go on an aircraft carrier on the Westcoast be on the west coast. They just station everyone on one coast, and well . . . i mean it’s insane to pack up the entire squadron out of the hanger in one day, put it all in one or two airplanes, and the squadron’s stuff is put in the front of the airplane, while everyone else is seated behind all this equipment stacked to the airplane’s ceiling. They have to make sure the airplane is weighted right before take off; fly clear across the country, land, go to the aircraft carrier as soon as you land, unpack everything that day; meaning load all the squadrons equipment onto elevators that bring them to the aircraft carriers hanger deck, from where we haul boxes that takes two guys to lift it, up stairs and in various spaces of the ship.

Not only that, but we’d do back to back two week workups, and month long cruises before the six month cruise. I mean we’d fly back and forth and do all this packing and unpacking for two weeks, go back to Washington for a week, then go back for another two week, then come back for a week, then go back for a month, then come back for awhile, and then go out for a six month cruise where we work 12 hour days/7 days a week.

Anyways – about all I remember of Florida is how flat it is. I like to say that land always looks beautiful from out at sea. Florida looks flat. The only land more boring that Florida is the Suez canal. Talk about seeing nothing but sand to the horizon!

I’m sure Tampa Bay and other places in Florida are a lot more beautiful than some military base!

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I remember a little bit of Florida. For some odd reason, they had to have us EA-6B squadrons all stationed in Washington State. If we had to get on the aircraft carrier in Florida, we’d fly clear across the country to do so. No, they can’t have the EA-6B squadrons that go to the aircraft carriers in Florida be on the East coast, and let those who go on an aircraft carrier on the Westcoast be on the west coast. They just station everyone on one coast, and well . . . i mean it’s insane to pack up the entire squadron out of the hanger in one day, put it all in one or two airplanes, and the squadron’s stuff is put in the front of the airplane, while everyone else is seated behind all this equipment stacked to the airplane’s ceiling. They have to make sure the airplane is weighted right before take off; fly clear across the country, land, go to the aircraft carrier as soon as you land, unpack everything that day; meaning load all the squadrons equipment onto elevators that bring them to the aircraft carriers hanger deck, from where we haul boxes that takes two guys to lift it, up stairs and in various spaces of the ship.

Not only that, but we’d do back to back two week workups, and month long cruises before the six month cruise. I mean we’d fly back and forth and do all this packing and unpacking for two weeks, go back to Washington for a week, then go back for another two week, then come back for a week, then go back for a month, then come back for awhile, and then go out for a six month cruise where we work 12 hour days/7 days a week.

Anyways – about all I remember of Florida is how flat it is. I like to say that land always looks beautiful from out at sea. Florida looks flat. The only land more boring that Florida is the Suez canal. Talk about seeing nothing but sand to the horizon!

I’m sure Tampa Bay and other places in Florida are a lot more beautiful than some military base!

Salute to your service. And yes, Florida is flat and at sea level. There’s a bunch of hurricane jokes this time of the year. One of mine is this:

In the event of a hurricane, it is always good to have an evacuation route planned. Especially if you live in a low lying area. To determine if you live in a low lying area, look at your drivers license. If it says Florida, then you live in a low lying area.

• Greattimes

Participant

If you want to look at pictures of a boring Military Installation google “USCG LORAN Station French Frigate Shoals” and look at the pictures. Imagine during a year there.

• flashgordon

Participant

Salute to your service. And yes, Florida is flat and at sea level. There’s a bunch of hurricane jokes this time of the year. One of mine is this:

In the event of a hurricane, it is always good to have an evacuation route planned. Especially if you live in a low lying area. To determine if you live in a low lying area, look at your drivers license. If it says Florida, then you live in a low lying area.

flatland and at sea level . . . I remember going out on a sandbar and looking back at the seashore. Boy, if some wave, or the sea level rose back real fast, I would have been hurting. The Washington State water is cold!

• flashgordon

Participant

If you want to look at pictures of a boring Military Installation google “USCG LORAN Station French Frigate Shoals” and look at the pictures. Imagine during a year there.

well, that definitelly tops a shack out in the middle of, ah . . . death valley!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.