What’s up with Vincent Jackson?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bveghte
    Participant

It seems very obvious to this fan on his couch that Jackson does not have chemistry with Glennon. Worse than that it seems (and I certainly hope I’m wrong) that Jackson is not giving anywhere close to 100% effort these past few weeks. Not sure if this is Glennon-related, or just related to the fact that we are out of the playoff hunt. I'd love to hear PR's take on this. I think this topic (see subject line) is worth an article. VJ is our number one receiver and should be bailing out the rookie, but instead he is almost never open. His receptions per targets percentage has gone down a lot since Glennon replaced Free, even though Glennon is equally if not more accurate. It seems to me that VJ got open a lot more for Freeman. Is he still suffering from his rib injury? That could explain it.There was one particular play I'm sure we all saw that might be part a part of this story, or might just be a separate miscommunication. There was a long pass (can't remember when) when VJ was running half-speed and Glennon threw it deep to him assuming he was running full speed. At the end of the play VJ was shown smirking -- or smiling knowingly -- as if he was annoyed Glennon threw the pass. Perhaps Glennon should have known he wasn't going full speed on the route for some reason.But aside from that one play, something's wrong with VJ these past few games. At least I hope something's wrong. If not, then we overpaid for him. My gut tells me that he can play a lot better than he has recently.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will keep what I think of VJax rated PG.He is overpaid if continues to play this way.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm going to have to disagree witht he "doesn't seem to have chemistry with Glennon" part of that.  VJax has been off all year, even in the preseason.  He had the same look and IDGAF aura.

That's true that he's been off all year. But too often when Glennon has thrown Jackson the ball it's been in the wrong spot.  Clearly Glennon expects Jackson to be in a different spot. Whether it's Jackson running the wrong route, not looking at the right time, Glennon mis-reading the coverage, making a bad throw - something's "off" more than just Jackson playing poorly.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m pretty much Tog on this one, but would add that it’s quite possible the ribs are hurt more than we know.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

There were a number of plays where to me it looked VJ wasn’t giving – or at – 100%. Something we can look into. In Atlanta he had 22 targets, so I am not sure what has happened. All of the points made above may have some validity. Although I do not believe he has lost a step. And there may be some frustration. Jackson says all the right things in interviews. And we normally only get him on Friday. Although it is kind of foolish to assume that the coaches or VJ himself would confirm any problems.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Mark for looking into this.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

There were a number of plays where to me it looked VJ wasn't giving – or at – 100%. Something we can look into. In Atlanta he had 22 targets, so I am not sure what has happened. All of the points made above may have some validity. Although I do not believe he has lost a step. And there may be some frustration. Jackson says all the right things in interviews. And we normally only get him on Friday. Although it is kind of foolish to assume that the coaches or VJ himself would confirm any problems.

yeah I'm looking forward to this as well... I don't personally see quit, but he's not as dominant as he was last year where Freeman would literally just single him out in 1-1 matchups and toss it to VJ.I'm a huge, huge VJ fan. Love what he's about, think he's a strong WR. Hoping the benefit of the doubt is founded, and he's just hurting still from the early rib injury.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, lets be fair I guess.  We shut down Wallace and they shut down Jackson.  It happens.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, lets be fair I guess.  We shut down Wallace and they shut down Jackson.  It happens.

Jackson's definitely having a down year. If I were him, I'd be frustrated too with having Freeman and Glennon throwing me the ball.  Also, his last 3 games since Atlanta have been mediocre (again, how much is the rib injury he sustained against New England?).  Here are some stats ot help with perspective:Targets: 102 (2nd overall)Receptions: 46 (25th)Avg/Rec: 14.4 (37th)Yds/game: 73.6 (23rd)TDs: 4 (24th)YAC: 209 (40th)1st Downs: 36 (11th)First, to put it in perspective Jackson was top 10 in every category (1st in Avg/Rec) except for receptions and YAC in 2012. You can of course overanalyze this. Yet, whether injury or poor QB play, Jackson hasn't been putting up good numbers (which was already blindingly obvious). He's lacking the big gains he put up last year and isn't catching as many balls thrown his way.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Jackson likes Glennon, but misses Freeman’s deep balls. I think that is part of why you saw Williams struggle before the injury. Glennon, up until Monday night was hesitant to throw the deep ball. He did throw a decent one in Atlanta, but overall his deep ball willingness, and accuracy hasn’t been very good. We noticed it in camp, that he was Capt. Checkdown and when he did throw deep they were rarely completed.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why does it seem like we never run any deep crosses?  Everything is just straight vertical it seems.  Ad outside the hashes.  He has to hit it over the top or back shoulder.  Nothing in stride going across deep.  I would think that would be a better look for Glennon

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d rather he loft ducks towards the sideline than to the middle of the field – I expect it would be a lower chance of getting picked off.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why does it seem like we never run any deep crosses?  Everything is just straight vertical it seems.  Ad outside the hashes.  He has to hit it over the top or back shoulder.  Nothing in stride going across deep.  I would think that would be a better look for Glennon

I'm with you - if nothing else, to make it less predictible.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If our QB can’t make deep throws to the middle of the field (deep crosses, seem routes), then we need a new QB. It’s that simple. You can’t let a defense have to defend only part of the field.That said, Glennon may just be building confidence now. By the end of the year he may have the confidence to make those throws.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

confidence comes with accuracy, something he doesn’t have yet.  Trouble is, I agree with those that say that it will be hard to win with a QB that has distance limitations.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.