What’s up with Vincent Jackson?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Jackson likes Glennon, but misses Freeman's deep balls. I think that is part of why you saw Williams struggle before the injury. Glennon, up until Monday night was hesitant to throw the deep ball. He did throw a decent one in Atlanta, but overall his deep ball willingness, and accuracy hasn't been very good. We noticed it in camp, that he was Capt. Checkdown and when he did throw deep they were rarely completed.

I have to admit, I chuckled when I read that.  Childish I know.I never played QB, is a deep ball something that you can get better at in a single offseason?  On a side note, it was a thing of beauty watching C Simms throw teardrop bombs into trashcans during practice. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went back and watched the game last night, and to Jackson’s credit he pancaked a DB on Rainey’s long run. I would guess that if a player was dogging it, the first thing he would stop doing is block down field. Clearly that wasn’t the case. And as far as the deep ball, perhaps it was a case where he was a decoy to take the CB and safety deep and set up something underneath and Glennon threw his way anyway. I don’t know, but after watching the game again, it never looked like he was going 100% on the route really at any point. It’s just a theory, probably should have asked Sullivan today in the press conference.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand VJax being targeted for double coverage. But, when the ball hits you in the hands please catch it.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I went back and watched the game last night, and to Jackson's credit he pancaked a DB on Rainey's long run. I would guess that if a player was dogging it, the first thing he would stop doing is block down field. Clearly that wasn't the case. And as far as the deep ball, perhaps it was a case where he was a decoy to take the CB and safety deep and set up something underneath and Glennon threw his way anyway. I don't know, but after watching the game again, it never looked like he was going 100% on the route really at any point. It's just a theory, probably should have asked Sullivan today in the press conference.

THis would suggest injury, wouldn't it? Either that or lack of effort. I give him the benefit of the doubt unless we have reason to think otherwise.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I went back and watched the game last night, and to Jackson's credit he pancaked a DB on Rainey's long run. I would guess that if a player was dogging it, the first thing he would stop doing is block down field. Clearly that wasn't the case. And as far as the deep ball, perhaps it was a case where he was a decoy to take the CB and safety deep and set up something underneath and Glennon threw his way anyway. I don't know, but after watching the game again, it never looked like he was going 100% on the route really at any point. It's just a theory, probably should have asked Sullivan today in the press conference.

THis would suggest injury, wouldn't it? Either that or lack of effort. I give him the benefit of the doubt unless we have reason to think otherwise.

Not necessarily, if he was a decoy to pull the S and CB deep, he could be bluffing and not going 100%, then on a pass where he is a likely target, VJ turns on the after burners and blows by the defenders. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

VJax is not a loafer and it indicates either he has slowed down a step, injury, or the timing is not there yet with the QB.  Vincent is the kind of person and player that we want on this team and I give Dominik all the credit in obtaining him.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why does it seem like we never run any deep crosses?  Everything is just straight vertical it seems.  Ad outside the hashes.  He has to hit it over the top or back shoulder.  Nothing in stride going across deep.  I would think that would be a better look for Glennon

The deep cross, the deep post, seams would all work better.  I think the thing is that we like VJax outside on the smaller CBs isolated.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why does it seem like we never run any deep crosses?  Everything is just straight vertical it seems.  Ad outside the hashes.  He has to hit it over the top or back shoulder.  Nothing in stride going across deep.  I would think that would be a better look for Glennon

The deep cross, the deep post, seams would all work better.  I think the thing is that we like VJax outside on the smaller CBs isolated.

Don't matter what they like, gotta roll with what works.  Not sure we'll ever see that with this regime though. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Don't matter what they like, gotta roll with what works.  Not sure we'll ever see that with this regime though. ?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Don't matter what they like, gotta roll with what works.  Not sure we'll ever see that with this regime though.

Well the problem might become do we have a WR who can do what helps this QB and do we have a QB who can help the WR. The answer to both might be no. I thought VJax was perfect for Freeman but a Reggie Wayne type player who is precise and middle of the field might be a better fit for Glennon than an outside the harsh vertical threat like VJax.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Great point dalbuc. Sad but true.In fact, neither VJ nor MW are precise route runners or good at getting open. It's heartbreaking to think we just locked up two very high priced receivers who are a bad fit for our QB. That alone could be a reason to switch QBs, if any good ones are available in January that are better fits for our WR corps.I assume VJ and MW have way too much guaranteed money to cut. Of course if we decide to keep Glennon and we could trade our WRs, that would solve the problem, as their new teams would take on their contracts. Well the problem might become do we have a WR who can do what helps this QB and do we have a QB who can help the WR. The answer to both might be no. I thought VJax was perfect for Freeman but a Reggie Wayne type player who is precise and middle of the field might be a better fit for Glennon than an outside the harsh vertical threat like VJax.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.