Viewing 57 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

NFL coach rankings: Belichick stands pat, but shakeup down the line The Sporting NewsBy David Steele @david_c_steele RSS June 10, 2014 12:06am EDT There are no simple criteria for ranking the NFL’s head coaches, 1 through 32. Wins and losses aren’t enough, nor are Super Bowl wins, playoff appearances, longevity or the eyeball test. It’s also quite a challenge to figure it all out in June, while teams are in OTAs, with a lot of draft picks still unsigned or unavailable, injuries already playing havoc with a coach’s chances to prove himself (hello, Jason Garrett; sorry about Sean Lee) and with seven new head coaches. Four of them have never been NFL head coaches before, period. What fun to rank them now! All that being said, there is one fairly reliable rule of thumb: Start with Bill Belichick and work your way down.rank1_zpsecf5f454.png1    Bill Belichick (AP Photo) It’s going to be a long time before any coach is able to dislodge him from the top, even if he never wins another Super Bowl. What makes him special, heading into Year 15 in New England: You can hardly remember the last time the Patriots began a season without being one of the favorites to win it all. Tom Brady or not, that’s indescribably hard to do. rank2_zps994cfeeb.jpg2    Pete Carroll (AP Photo) On the surface, it’s an overemphasis on the immediate, because his Seahawks just won the Super Bowl. But in taking over the franchise and turning it into a champion in four years, Carroll answered the final question about whether he was anything more than a rah-rah, fist-pumping college coach who had stumbled in previous NFL gigs and needed to stay in his lane. He’s in the right lane now — Seattle is here to stay, and so is he. rank3_zps648be070.png3    Tom Coughlin (AP Photo) Coughlin, who turns 68 in August, won’t be around forever, and one only hopes he’ll be more appreciated when he’s gone from the NFL. In turning the Giants (and the Jaguars before that) into winners, he mastered one of the great challenges any coach has: tweaking his style to mesh with players, while getting players to adopt and adapt to his. If nothing else, who else, outside of his own family, really thought Eli Manning had two Super Bowl wins in him? Thank Coughlin largely for that. rank4_zpsb64c41a9.png4    Sean Payton (AP Photo) It would be a shock if Payton exits with only one Super Bowl win. But getting that one with the Saints, with that history and under those circumstances, is a career pinnacle anyone can brag about. Few coaches rally their players around them the way Payton has, as evidenced by their return to prominence last year when he came back from his suspension. Puts his ego aside (no easy task for him) to surround himself with coaches who make his team better, like Rob Ryan last year. rank5_zpsb0599a58.png5    Mike Tomlin (AP Photo) He’s still only 42, making his two Super Bowls and one win all the more remarkable. Further proof that the Rooneys know what they’re doing, grabbing a hot assistant before the rest of the NFL believed he was ready. Now facing more of a challenge than he ever has in his brief career, but most franchises will gladly take back-to-back .500 seasons as a low point in seven years. rank6_zpse3bcb599.png6    Andy Reid (AP Photo) You’d think that a coach with Reid’s track record in Philadelphia over 14 years wouldn’t need to jump-start his rep. But Reid did, and he pulled it off in Year 1 in Kansas City last year. After all the near-misses with the Eagles, a Lombardi Trophy is hardly inevitable, but if and when Reid wins one, he jumps up several notches on this list. rank7_zpsaf9f1fcd.png7    John Harbaugh (AP Photo) His success is almost taken for granted in Baltimore, but not anywhere else. One of the more inspired and unconventional coaching hires in recent years, Harbaugh proved the franchise’s wisdom with playoff trips in his first five seasons, three AFC title games and a Super Bowl win. The unknown Harbaugh brother will never be anonymous again. rank8_zps2fa121f6.png8    John Fox (AP Photo) When you take two different franchises to Super Bowls in just over a decade, it doesn’t matter if either of them had Peyton Manning. One of them didn’t, of course, the 2003 Panthers, so he can do far more than steer a Hall of Fame quarterback toward the huddle. He has the respect of his players and his colleagues — and this season, he may be loaded enough to get that last piece of hardware left. rank9_zps30747553.jpg9    Jim Harbaugh (AP Photo) The 49ers’ brass had better be smart enough to hold onto him, because the transformation he’s engineered there is borderline miraculous. Not every front office, roster or fan base can handle his style, and he willingly takes on a ton of heat — but he has yet to prove he can’t handle it, nor has his team. Even if he overstays his welcome, some other team would snatch him up before the door closes behind him. rank10_zps2147afbc.jpg10    Mike McCarthy (AP Photo) Coaching in Green Bay is a cauldron, and it only gets hotter when you win, or have an all-timer at quarterback, or both. McCarthy is just low-key, firm and accessible enough to flourish in it. You can’t argue with the results so far, especially considering he wasn’t fast-tracked for a head-coaching position the way others often are. He’s a smart hire that’s paying off. rank11_zpsadfe919b.png11    Chuck Pagano (AP Photo) He’s a couple of playoff wins, maybe a conference title-game appearance, away from cracking the top 10. Pagano has instantly made owner Jim Irsay’s wholesale shakeup from two years ago pay off. Before and after his cancer fight in his rookie year and in the full season afterward, Pagano has pulled together the threads of a rebuilt roster, gotten the full support of his players, and steered Andrew Luck deftly through his introduction to the NFL.  rank12_zpsb12c75a7.jpg12    Mike Smith (AP Photo) Truly cursed by a lack of playoff success, which is overshadowing his regular-season accomplishments. Throw out last season’s buckling under the weight of injuries, and you have 56 wins in five years … and one playoff win. Smith’s division is loaded right now. You hope his team’s window hasn’t closed this early, not with Matt Ryan still just 29 years old. rank13_zps3e1313f0.png13    Jeff Fisher (AP Photo) It’s hard to find anyone to knock Fisher’s coaching ability, some of the great teams he put together in Tennessee, the identity they forged, or even the early results of the current reclamation project in St. Louis. It’s harder to explain how he only made the playoffs six times, and had six winning seasons, in 17 years with the Oilers/Titans. The record needs to catch up with the reputation at some point. He’s in a tough division for that right now, the NFC West. rank14_zpsf6fbea8d.jpg14    Lovie Smith (AP Photo) On the other end of the scale from Fisher, it’s hard to knock what Smith did in Chicago for nine years, getting to a Super Bowl, making the NFC title game, three losing seasons in nine years — yet only NFL insiders seem to respect his coaching chops. He’s now being handed the reins in Tampa, where things have been a mess since the end of the Jon Gruden era. The Bucs will get better, but Smith also faces a beast of a division. For the rest of the league......link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems a reasonable list to me. I think coaches 10-14 are subjective and you could bump them around a place or two and not get too much criticism. I personally would probably rank this list about like this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Regardless of where he ranks in the NFL right this second, he easily is the best HC we have had in the last 5 years without having even coached a game yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ll take 14th .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll take 14th .

What was Schiano? 7th? 8th?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Probably about right. For now.   I think his decision to take last year off and piece together the makings of a whole staff, get a good idea on the upcoming FA and draft, and execute his formulated plan once his HC position was secured in Tampa Bay will quickly move him up that list.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mostly fair list. I think Jim Harbaugh should be ranked higher and John Fox should be lower. Fox is basically Lovie Smith or Jeff Fisher with a Hall of Fame QB.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

I won’t rate Lovie until after this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll take 14th .

If I remember correctly, Schiano was listed as one of the worst hires.  I don't remember though.  I just remember getting into a lot of debates on how terrible of a hire it was, so I could be mistaking my opinions for the national one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll take 14th .

At this time last year, Sporting News ranked Schiano #21. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-06-01/nfl-2013-coaches-ranking-john-jim-harbaugh-giants-jets-ravens-49ers-dolphins

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“I think his decision to take last year off…”Chicago informed him that he no longer worked there and no one else offered him a job. Hardly seems like his decision.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"I think his decision to take last year off..."Chicago informed him that he no longer worked there and no one else offered him a job. Hardly seems like his decision.

Kinda hard to get offered a job after you decide to take a year off and wont interview.  Hardly seems like it was anyone's decision BUT his.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

"I think his decision to take last year off..."Chicago informed him that he no longer worked there and no one else offered him a job. Hardly seems like his decision.

Kinda hard to get offered a job after you decide to take a year off and wont interview.  Hardly seems like it was anyone's decision BUT his.

I thought he was interviewed by one team to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would assume the intent was that he declined to pursue any assistant coaching jobs. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/28/lovie-smith-plans-to-sit-out-2013-season/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought he was interviewed by one team to satisfy the Rooney rule.

He interviewed with the Texans this hiring cycle but I don't think he did anything last year.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Reality disagrees.http://www.google.com/search?q=lovie+smith+interview&client=ms-null&hl=en&v=200400000&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A5%2F9%2F2012%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F9%2F2013&tbm=

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What has Jeff Fisher, Mike Smith, Chuck Pagano or John Fox done to be ranked higher?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reality disagrees.http://www.google.com/search?q=lovie+smith+interview&client=ms-null&hl=en&v=200400000&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A5%2F9%2F2012%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F9%2F2013&tbm=

And yet nothing you posted mentions anything about him not being offered those positions.  If he took 2013 off it was because he opted to. 

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

And yet nothing you posted mentions anything about him not being offered those positions.  If he took 2013 off it was because he opted to.

You have a sig line making fun of JC for being ridiculous, then you post this ridiculous stuff?    If he had been offered a job, he would have taken it.  If you think otherwise, find a link that says he was offered a job and didn't take it.  He wasn't offered a head coaching job last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You have a sig line making fun of JC for being ridiculous, then you post this ridiculous stuff?    If he had been offered a job, he would have taken it.  Find a link that says he was offered a job and didn't take it.

You seriously dont think he was offered a job?  Any job?  Im not just talking about a HC job.  Its fairly obvious someone of his caliber chose to sit out 2013 and reconnect with football when the coaching layoffs happened.  Oh and look, it worked. 

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“And yet nothing you posted mentions anything about him not being offered those positions.”I'm sure you're right. They probably all offered him the HC job but Lovie turned them down. He only took those interviews because he wanted to jerk them around. Solid theory.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"And yet nothing you posted mentions anything about him not being offered those positions."I'm sure you're right. They probably all offered him the HC job but Lovie turned them down. He only took those interviews because he wanted to jerk them around. Solid theory.

I will admit I was mistaken about him not having interviewed for other HC jobs...but do you honestly believe he wasnt offered ANY coaching job?  DC?  LB? Anything?  If he was not in football in 2013 its because he chose not to be.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Yeah, he “chose” not to be. A choice he made after not being offered a decent job.  I find it pretty humorous that you can't admit the guy was fired and then couldn't get a job at the same level for a while. Most coaches do get fired at some point. You can admit it, it'll be okay.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, he "chose" not to be. A choice he made after not being offered a decent job.  I find it pretty humorous that you can't admit the guy was fired and then couldn't get a job at the same level for a while. Most coaches do get fired at some point. You can admit it, it'll be okay.

Oh, so now its a "decent" job?Ummm...when did I ever say he wasnt fired?  Because he was.  YOU said he wasnt offered another job...not another "decent" job.  Seems like is plan worked out pretty well, sit out a year, come back as a head coach.  Im sorry you cant admit he's a good coach.  Maybe you preferred the Schiano era?  I mean you only showed up on the boards after that dark period was over...either that or someone embarrassed you enough to change your screen name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, he "chose" not to be. A choice he made after not being offered a decent job.  I find it pretty humorous that you can't admit the guy was fired and then couldn't get a job at the same level for a while. Most coaches do get fired at some point. You can admit it, it'll be okay.

Oh, so now its a "decent" job?Ummm...when did I ever say he wasnt fired?  Because he was.  YOU said he wasnt offered another job...not another "decent" job.  Seems like is plan worked out pretty well, sit out a year, come back as a head coach.  Im sorry you cant admit he's a good coach.  Maybe you preferred the Schiano era?  I mean you only showed up on the boards after that dark period was over...either that or someone embarrassed you enough to change your screen name.

Illuminator was a big Schiano fan and blames the fans for running him out of town. He's been bashing Lovie since the day we hired him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Illuminator was a big Schiano fan and blames the fans for running him out of town. He's been bashing Lovie since the day we hired him.

Oh is that who this is?  I cant keep track of all the alter ego's here. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep. And Java's most recent name is EvansUpTheGut.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well that explains a lot...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

No one ever claimed the guy was unemployable. That’s a scarecrow argument that you made up. Sure he could have gotten “some” job – just not one as a head coach.Homer brigade out in force, trying to pretend it didn't happen the way it happened. Sorry you boys delicate egos got bruised, but Lovie still got fired and couldn't get a comparable job until two seasons later. It really is hilarious that you can't accept this simple fact, and your emotional investment requires you to pretend it's not true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one ever claimed the guy was unemployable. That's a scarecrow argument that you made up. Sure he could have gotten "some" job - just not one as a head coach.Homer brigade out in force, trying to pretend it didn't happen the way it happened. Sorry you boys delicate egos got bruised, but Lovie still got fired and couldn't get a comparable job until two seasons later. It really is hilarious that you can't accept this simple fact, and your emotional investment requires you to pretend it's not true.

1.  Nobody said he didnt get fired, you made that up.2.  You said he didnt get an offer, not a decent or comparable one.  Dont get mad you got called on what you said and now are backtracking.3.  Ill take my emotional investment with Lovie over yours with Schiano every day of the week.4.  Maybe you should change your screen name again. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have to side with Illum here. Lovie only sat out from being an assistant coach. If he were offered the Bills job, you have to assume he would have taken it. However, I don't see how you can spin his unemployment as lasting "two seasons". He only missed the 2013 season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have to side with Illum here. Lovie only sat out from being an assistant coach. If he were offered the Bills job, you have to assume he would have taken it. However, I don't see how you can spin his unemployment as lasting "two seasons". He only missed the 2013 season.

Oh I conceded that he did in fact interview for HC jobs and didnt get offered any or he likely would have taken them...but at the same time what was said is that he wasnt offered ANY job which I find to be short sighted.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Circumventing the endless bs of the excuse makers:Lovie did not choose to take a year off, as was claimed. The only thing Lovie might of had a choice in was not taking a lesser job. But Lovie wanted a job and was actively looking, he just couldn't get hired.P.S. Don't give up on the Schiano angle, I love to watch the futility of your efforts.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“However, I don’t see how you can spin his unemployment as lasting “two seasons”. He only missed the 2013 season.”What I said was that he didn't find a job until two seasons later. If he had found one in 2013, that would have been one season later.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems to me the NFL has only played one season since Lovie got fired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Simple math eludes some without having it drawn out in crayon.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Yep, he missed one season. Found another job in the second one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Adam Schefter?Verified account?@AdamSchefter  Even with openings for DC jobs in Philadelphia and New Orleans, Lovie Smith plans to sit out this year and hopes to return as an HC in 2014.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who cares about where he ranks prior to this year.  The fact is, he will calm the waters in Tampa with solid if not stingy defense and it appears his deficiency with the O side of the ball is being addressed by hitching his wagon to Tedford.  It’s another meaningless off-season list that can be burned when toe hits leather. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie still got fired and couldn't get a comparable job until two seasons later.

What I said was that he didn't find a job until two seasons later. If he had found one in 2013, that would have been one season later.

Yep, he missed one season. Found another job in the second one.

Perfectly clear...

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Yes, it is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll take 14th .

In the Big East

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What has Jeff Fisher, Mike Smith, Chuck Pagano or John Fox done to be ranked higher?

Pagano and Smith - nothing.  Fisher and Smith would be pretty even IMO.  And although I believe both guys are better than Fox, Fox has been to the Superbowl twice, which enhances his resume.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pagano and Smith - nothing.  Fisher and Smith would be pretty even IMO.  And although I believe both guys are better than Fox, Fox has been to the Superbowl twice, which enhances his resume.

Agree.  Pags is a feel good story, but I think any competent HC could have guided that team. I have never been a big Mike Smith fan. Seems like a classic underachiever. Not a big Fox fan, but he keeps getting the job done. Fisher is a good HC, well respected in NFL circles. But this will be a big season for him. He has a lot riding on this season. Bradford in? Bradford out? They have a nice team, it will be interesting to see how they hold up in that tough NFC West.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chuck Pagano? Really?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Arians is tremendously underrated at #20.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Who cares about where he ranks prior to this year.  The fact is, he will calm the waters in Tampa with solid if not stingy defense and it appears his deficiency with the O side of the ball is being addressed by hitching his wagon to Tedford.  It's another meaningless off-season list that can be burned when toe hits leather.

I'm worried that Lovie has lost his love for the game.  If he still loved the game, he would not have taken the year off last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who cares about where he ranks prior to this year.  The fact is, he will calm the waters in Tampa with solid if not stingy defense and it appears his deficiency with the O side of the ball is being addressed by hitching his wagon to Tedford.  It's another meaningless off-season list that can be burned when toe hits leather.

I'm worried that Lovie has lost his love for the game.  If he still loved the game, he would not have taken the year off last year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if Gruden returned to the coaching ranks, you wouldn't be worrying about him having lost his love for the game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

More than 1 year off and I would agree with you.  1 season off is a good amount of time to do whatever self reflection you want and still keep your edge.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys are giving Java’s silliness too much thought.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys are giving Java's silliness too much thought.

lol +1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys are giving Java's silliness too much thought.

But I barely gave it any thought at all...oh, yes, I see.  You're probably right.:-D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Arians is tremendously underrated at #20.

While I agree, his HC resume is fairly short right now.  But he could be another Sean Payton-type if he can get a QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I bet we ranked near 32 the past 4 seasons

Please wait…

• GARCIAFAN

Participant

Damn, that reality is one persistent son of a buc, ain't it, Banana Boy?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i rank Lovie like the 36th coach in the NFL id put a few coordinators ahead of him.. guys like Roman and Gase would be better then him

Please wait…

• mdclarie

Participant

Damn, that reality is one persistent son of a buc, ain't it, Banana Boy?

Nice bump

Please wait…

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.