Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• Darktanian

Participant

The 2002 Buccaneers, or the 2020 Buccaneers?

Could the 2020 Bucs handle Dunn and Alstott? Could they dominate against Sapp, Brooks, Barber, Lynch, etc?

Could Dungy and Kiffin game plan better than Arians and Bowles?

I have the 2002 Bucs winning 34 to 31.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Would be a good game. Dunn wasn’t with the 2002 bucs btw. Wish he would have been able to get a ring with tampa.

• chad1336

Participant

What rules? Because if we are playing in the modern NFL, the 2002 Buccaneers have no chance against the 2020 version. The game has changed significantly in the past 20 years, which makes it difficult to really compare the two. Apples to Oranges. But, not taking into account the overall statistics for the year, this 2020 team finished as an offensive juggernaut with a very stout defense that manhandled and shut down the best offenses on the way to winning the Lombardi. So for me, the 2020 version was way better.

• Richie Cartman

Participant

You see the 02 Bucs putting up 34 points against the 2020 defense? Doubtful. I would give a slight edge to the 2020 team as I think they are more balanced. Maybe 20-17 type game.

• kenntak

Participant

Because of the new rules and assessment of penalties, the 2002 team would have to make some adjustments, assuming 2020 rules apply. You would also have to give a lot of film to both teams to study!

• JC5100

Participant

2020 vs 1999 with 1999 rules might have a total of 6 points.

• Roy

Participant

You are asking who would win H2H, which is not exactly the same as asking who was better.

I gotta go with 2020 because of the GOAT.

The 2002 Bucs had to go through Philly, which I think was tougher than going through Green Bay. They had HOFers on defense, but Brady would have found a way to put up a couple touchdowns. On the other side, the Bucs 2020 defense could have stifled the 2002 offense and held them to a touchdown. Even if the 2002 D did create a score off a turnover it wouldn’t be enough.

Coming down to the 4th quarter, the 2020 Bucs would not be able to easily salt away the lead by running down the 2002 team like they did against the Chiefs, so I can see the 2002 version making something happen in the waning minutes, but it won’t be enough. the GOAT won’t let 2020 go off the rails.

Final score 2020 Bucs 24 2002 Bucs 20.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I think this has recency bias with the Super Bowl win for the 2020 Bucs. I had just re-watched the playoff games against the Saints and Packers. There was far more nail biting in those two games than against KC in the Super Bowl.

2002 Bucs, Playoffs

Div: SF 6, Bucs 31
        Conf: Bucs 27, Phi 10
        Super Bowl: Oak 21, Bucs 48

2020 Bucs, Playoffs

Wild card: WFT 23, Bucs 31
        Div: Bucs 30, NO 20
        Conf: Bucs 28, GB 25
        Super Bowl: Bucs 31, KC 9

WFT was playing with a QB starting his only 2nd game in the NFL in the wild card game. Brees could not throw deep at all. The Packers’ HC turtled on 4th down by going for a FG than a TD.

KC’s offensive line wasn’t all there for the Super Bowl. Yet, both Buc teams did heavily scouted the opposition and won big.

The key to the game is pressure. KC’s Mahomes was pressured all game. Brady wasn’t pressured much at all and that’s Brady’s Achilles’ heel. Against the Packers, they got to Brady to throw 3 INTs.

2002’s DLine under Kiffin’s defense is one I wouldn’t want to bet upon, especially when you see how well the 2002 defense clamped down in the playoffs.

• buc-in-out

Participant

I mean, it’d be pretty hard to bet against Brady at this point. I think players of today are already much more athletic: bigger stronger and faster. The rules have changed as well.

It’s clear the 2002 Bucs had the superior defense, but on the whole I think the 2020 team was more complete.

• Roy

Participant

Hockey, thats why I made the point that the question was not “Which team is better”. It was “Who would win head to head?” I’m assuming we are talking about a Superbowl matchup. Matchup-wise I think you have to go with 2020. Does that mean they are the better team? That’s a slightly different argument and harder to answer.

Even Mahomes and company couldn’t score on the 2020 team. How was Brad Johnson going to score anything? The 2002 defense would have to get some turnovers to score or set up red zone field position. Maybe a couple more FGs because of field position, I don’t see the offense getting any real sustained drives. None. I give them 20 points, just purely giving credit to the 2002 defense getting turnovers either scoring or getting red zone field position, and some 3 and outs resulting in maybe a couple field goals.

But you can’t say that 2002 defense would totally shut down the 2020 offense. You could look at the Bears game where they were held to 20. The Bears had a very good defense. But that was October 8th and the Bucs weren’t clicking yet. The Bucs scored 25 or more for the rest of the season, 13 games. I think the absolute low end of what the 2020 team would do would be 24 points, and that’s what I gave them.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@Roy,

You are proving me correct with “recency bias”. You’re using the Super Bowl as the standard for the Bucs’ game. This is false. That’s the most recent memory you have and that’s only memory you’re utilizing.

No one on here was showing how the Bucs could dominate the Chiefs save me when I shared that Brett Kollman video breakdown of the Chiefs. Kollman stated the Chiefs were explosive, not efficient as well as not great in the Red Zone. Kollman also used the Bucs’ loss to the Chiefs in the regular season. The first half was the Bucs’ defense playing single high and getting burned. The second half, we doubled on Hill and Kelce. That held the Chiefs to only 7 points in the second half. Also, the Chiefs couldn’t stop us from scoring in the 2nd half as we scored 17 points.

2002 Bucs, Playoffs

Div: SF 6, Bucs 31; diff = +25
          Conf: Bucs 27, Phi 10; diff = +17
          Super Bowl: Oak 21, Bucs 48; diff = +27

2020 Bucs, Playoffs

Wild card: WFT 23, Bucs 31; diff = +8
          Div: Bucs 30, NO 20; diff = +10
          Conf: Bucs 28, GB 25; diff = +3
          Super Bowl: Bucs 31, KC 9; dif = +22

If we use the playoff production of both Buc teams, then we notice just how dominant the 2002 Bucs were in the whole playoffs. The 2020 team was fortunate to have faced KC during the regular season to be able to plan against them better.

Now, we also know that Brady doesn’t do well under pressure. The Packers forced 3 INTs on Brady. The WFT got 3 sacks on Brady. What did the 2002 Bucs do with pressure in the playoffs?

2002 Bucs QB pressure

Div vs SF: 0 TDs, 3 INTs, 4 Sacks
          Conf vs Phi: 0 TDs, 1 INTs, 2 Sacks
          Super Bowl vs Oak: 2 TDs, 5 INTs, 5 Sacks

I love Brady and that he brought the Trophy. But I’m not oblivious of his flaws either. WFT, New Orleans, and Green bay games were all nail biters. If it wasn’t for our defense creating turnovers, then we would have been out of the playoffs.

• RudeGuy

Participant

This would be like asking if Ali at the top of his career could beat Tyson at the top of his career. Like the Tootsie Pop and how many licks,the world will never know.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I see this as Michael Jordan vs Kobe Bryant. I’m going Jordan all day, everyday.

• mjs020294

Participant

Would definitely be a battle of the defenses. The 2002 defense was one of the greatest in NFL history. I think they conceded two pass plays over 20 yards the entire season. The current defense is good and played great in the SB but at times the secondary has been pretty average. On the offensive side the 2021 team is much stronger but Brady would struggle with the pocket collapsing around him.

My guess would be:
      2002 Bucs 23 (with 14 defensive points)
      2020 Bucs 16

• BucBalla85

Participant

I tend to agree that it could come down to who had the better d. Hard to bet against that 2002 d. Then again, its hard to bet against Tom Brady and our d did just shut down some very high powered offenses. 2002 offense didn’t come close to those offenses we beat. Its hard to say who would come on top.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

2002 Bucs, Playoffs

Div: SF 6, Bucs 31; diff = +25
          Conf: Bucs 27, Phi 10; diff = +17
          Super Bowl: Oak 21, Bucs 48; diff = +27

2020 Bucs, Playoffs

Wild card: WFT 23, Bucs 31; diff = +8
          Div: Bucs 30, NO 20; diff = +10
          Conf: Bucs 28, GB 25; diff = +3
          Super Bowl: Bucs 31, KC 9; dif = +22

It appears that 2002 Bucs’ offense scored a lot. That defense clamped down throughout the playoffs. Look at those point differentials for the 2002 Bucs. The 2002 Bucs’ didn’t barely win in each game in the playoffs; they straight dominated.

• Hate

Participant

this year’s team is the best team in our history

• Roy

Participant

Hockey, the Bucs may have faced KC before, but the 2002 Bucs basically had the Raiders playbook.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

The Raiders lost their HC to us. The Raiders decided to keep the playbook. Thought they could out execute the 2002 Bucs. It failed miserably.

Anyhow, do you concede the 2002 playoff Bucs probably would have dominated the 2020 playoff Bucs? Because you have haven’t presented anything that would change my mind at all.

• seekpar

Participant

Wasn’t the GB game score 31-26?

• Roy

Participant

Hockey, I stated that Brad Johnson could not have led a sustained drive against the 2020 Bucs in the Superbowl. Do you think he could have?

• Ramonb

Participant

As much as I love the 2002 team…Brady, not much more to say.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I present you Super Bowl XLVI.

NYG (9-7) 21, NE (13-3) 17.

DE JPP was part of that NYG team. Apparently, a defense with a good secondary, good run stop, and pass rush can get to Brady.

Brady’s stats for that game: 27/41 for 276 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, and 2 sacks.

People need to re-watch the Wild Card game, Divisional game, and Conference game. Just see how much of a nail biter all three of those games were.

Now, review the 2002 Bucs’ playoff run and see how consistent they were on defense and offense. There’s a vast difference between the 2002 Bucs and the 2020 Chiefs.

• Culo Con Dientes

Participant

As things turn out the 2020 team had the perfect balance of offense and defense.

• Swash

Participant

Need a Madden simulation to know for certain lol

• Darktanian

Participant

That would be interesting to see who would win two out of three.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.