Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Which is harder, Harvard or Bucs offense? Greg Auman, Times Staff Writer? ?Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:06pm harder_zps2089474a.pngTAMPA — Shortly after today's Bucs practice, rookie tight end Cameron Brate will hurry to the airport to catch a plane to Boston. On Thursday morning, he'll graduate from Harvard with an economics degree, and then he'll fly back to Tampa, putting one promising future on hold for his hopes of another one on the football field. "This is definitely harder," said Brate, asked how the offense he's trying to learn compares to the challenges of his first classes in Cambridge. "Once you get the base down, everything builds off of that in economics. One thing that Harvard helped me out with was teaching me how to learn efficiently." If his next two days seem like a tricky juggling act, consider two weeks ago, when he was a tryout player at Vikings minicamp. His day started at 6 a.m., and after a full 14 hours of practices and meetings, he met a Harvard-approved proctor in the lobby of the team hotel at 8 p.m. to take his final college exam. "It was tough to balance it," the 6-foot-5, 255-pounder said of his double-duty. "I had to learn a whole new system when I was up there, and I studied a bunch leading up to it because I knew I was going to be in that situation. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'll never have a day like that again." Brate flew to Tampa for a workout last week and landed a free-agent contract. He led the Crimson with five touchdowns last season, finishing with 25 catches for 403 yards. He's one of six tight ends on roster, competing for three or four spots that survived the final 53-man cut in August. Few have been able to do what Brate seeks to accomplish. In the past 94 years, only 41 players have gone from Harvard to the NFL. The Bucs have never had a Harvard graduate make their roster, and in 38 seasons, just five Ivy Leaguers have played in a game as Bucs. Only two have made more than a one-game cameo — Cornell's Tom McHale from 1987-92 and Yale's Nate Lawrie in 2004-05. "You expect a guy from Harvard not to make a lot of mental mistakes," coach Lovie Smith said Tuesday. "He hasn't, but it was more than that. He came in and we saw athletic ability. We saw a tight end that could run, caught the ball well and made some plays." At Harvard, Brate was a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, known as the "academic Heisman." He isn't sure where his degree will take him — he interned last summer at a hedge fund in Boston — but now finds himself living a dream. As if being on an NFL roster isn't enough, he grew up "a huge Bears fan" in Napierville, Ill., watching Smith coach his favorite team for nine years. Brate faces long odds to survive as an undrafted rookie, but the Bucs saw an unheralded tight end do just that last year in Tim Wright. Brate will have a Harvard degree to fall back on, but his immediate focus is on extending his football career as long as possible. "When you're coming in behind the eight-ball a little bit, you've got to come in and make the coaches take notice," Smith said. "He did that, catching the ball and knowing what to do."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I smell a baller!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Call me crazy, but if he’s got more talent than our FBs, I could see us keeping 4 TEs and go w/o a rostered FB. A smart OC can definitely make that work. It’s really all about putting together the most functional talent possible on the final 53…

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I don’t think he stands a chance.  Nice feel good story for the off season, although on second thought, you only get into Harvard with hyper rich parents, so I don’t know how much of this was actually on him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think he stands a chance.  Nice feel good story for the off season, although on second thought, you only get into Harvard with hyper rich parents, so I don't know how much of this was actually on him.

Say what? I'm 20 minutes from Harvard and know a few people who have went there. No idea where people get this idea you need 'hyper rich parents' to get in. You just need good grades or one of a few exceptions to get in then you need the stomach to borrow enough student loans to pay for your college which equates to a nice house in a middle-upper class area.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A true renaissance man haha

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you only get into Harvard with hyper rich parents

lol, I believe Harvard has the largest endowment of any college and it has to be that 70-80% of students receive aid and if anything the selection process steers away from status

Please wait…

• vlagatta

lol, I believe Harvard has the largest endowment of any college and it has to be that 70-80% of students receive aid and if anything the selection process steers away from status

It's like taking candy from a baby with you. My point is substantiated, someone handed it to him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's like taking candy from a baby with you. My point is substantiated, someone handed it to him.

um . . . okay?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think he stands a chance.  Nice feel good story for the off season, although on second thought, you only get into Harvard with hyper rich parents, so I don't know how much of this was actually on him.

Say what? I'm 20 minutes from Harvard and know a few people who have went there. No idea where people get this idea you need 'hyper rich parents' to get in. You just need good grades or one of a few exceptions to get in then you need the stomach to borrow enough student loans to pay for your college which equates to a nice house in a middle-upper class area.

Doesnt that answer you question on why people think you rich parents? Sure if you take out that much in loans then you wouldnt need a dollar in your wallet, but that would be a terrible decision.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doesnt that answer you question on why people think you rich parents? Sure if you take out that much in loans then you wouldnt need a dollar in your wallet, but that would be a terrible decision.

People do it everyday. A doctor or lawyer goes over $250,000 in debt for a degree. They might not even have parents or their parents could be poor bums. Parents don't matter. My co-workers kids are both over $200,000 in debt from college. That's just 4 year degrees! Rich parents would pay for your college and it wouldn't matter what college you went too. Now if your talking about Phillips Academy that's another story. The Bushes and Bill Belichick went there for high school. You can drop $200,000 for high school there!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rich kids go to a whole host of liberal art colleges in the Northeast based solely on their money and connections (and donations).  Sure there is some of that at Harvard, but Harvard does not need to sell itself to the highest bidders

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Walk around Harvard.  It’s seems like its mostly Asians going there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

200 grand for a degree? Sheesh. UAH where I went is 8-10 grand a year depending on how many credits you take.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

200 grand for a degree? Sheesh. UAH where I went is 8-10 grand a year depending on how many credits you take.

My 4 year degree was just under $40,000 so I know it can be done. Most kids do room/board plus tuition so a single year is about $40,000-50,000. The cost is nuts now. I looked into MIT for my masters degree. They want $80,000 a year for online classes. I'm not paying $160,000 for 2 years of online classes!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One current trend is for kids to go to a less expensive state school for undergrad because they are going to graduate programs anyway. Save the undergrad money, crush the grades at a state school and go to a high end graduate program

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

..Your college is dumber than the bucs offense.Take THAT Harvard!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Pretty sure you can get a degree at Stetson for around twenty bucks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty sure you can get a degree at Stetson for around twenty bucks.

Illuminator stalking me. Priceless show of self-control by the oft-banished, multi-account guy. Ozy, you never explained what got you kicked off the boards most recently? If you have the time to stalk me, surely you have the time to explain? Was it Boid who got you all tied up in knots again?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My 4 year degree was just under $40,000 so I know it can be done. Most kids do room/board plus tuition so a single year is about $40,000-50,000. The cost is nuts now. I looked into MIT for my masters degree. They want $80,000 a year for online classes. I'm not paying $160,000 for 2 years of online classes!

Robbery.. A room at UAH was 5000 a year in the 21+ dorms. Cable and internet included. Spacious. Cold air. Loved it.

Please wait…

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.