Viewing 44 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Which New NFL Head Coach Will Go Furthest In 2014?By Erik Lambert - Apr 4th, 2014 at 9:54 am new_zps6bf60d92.jpgJan 9, 2014; Ashburn, VA Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen pose for a photo after a press conferences at Redskins Park Team Auditorium. Brad Mills-USA TODAY SportsThe draft is the final major hurdle before the NFL season really begins.  How are things stacking up for the new head coaches? Bill O’Brien – Houston Texans The man who kept hope alive at Penn State now must do the same for the Houston Texans.  Bill O’Brien doesn’t entire the dire situation he did before though.  He inherits a team with a talented roster already in place.  His job is to get the needed pieces to make in viable for the playoffs again, namely a quarterback.  If he succeeds his roster is good enough to challenge the Colts in the AFC South 2014 finish:  10-6  (Wild Card) Mike Pettine – Cleveland Browns Ray Farmer has made some nice tweaks to the Cleveland Browns roster as Mike Pettine settles in as the third head coach in three years for the team.  The problem is while the shift has gone on relatively well there is no feeling that the Browns have improved from where they were a year ago which was boasting some talent but no winning feeling.  Much of that can change in the draft.  The Browns have a wealth of early NFL draft picks and such a talent infusion might tip the scale their way provided Pettine knows how to use it. 2014 finish:  7-9 Ken Whisenhunt – Tennessee Titans His success in Arizona followed by a strong year in San Diego got Ken Whisenhunt his second chance at head coaching with the Tennessee Titans.  He inherits a team that seemed good enough to make the playoffs in 2013 but has lingering questions at quarterback with Jake Locker.  Throw in a shift in defensive scheme and it very difficult seeing the Titans being able to unseat the Colts unless they get at least one of those two issues resolved. 2014 finish:  6-10 Jay Gruden – Washington Redskins Living in the shadow of his brother has cast a lot of doubt on Jay Gruden, which isn’t really fair.  The new Washington Redskins head coach is experienced, a capable play caller and has learned from some very accomplished coaches.  On top of that his team has been busy upgrading the roster in free agency with names like DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Jason Hatcher and Ryan Clark among others.  Together with a strong draft and healthy Robert Griffin III there is no reason to think the Redskins can’t compete in a division whose reigning champion was 10-6 last season. 2014 finish:  11-5 (NFC East champs) Jim Caldwell – Detroit Lions Aside from O’Brien, no coach took on a more talented roster than Jim Caldwell.  The Detroit Lions seemed poised to take over the NFC North in 2013 but fell apart down the stretch due to some catastrophic breakdowns.  They have an offense and defense in place.  What they lack is direction and discipline.  Caldwell can provide that.  Whether he can do it swiftly is the big question.  Detroit has what it takes in terms of talent.  It’s the mental toughness they’ll need to push it over the top. 2014 finish:  10-6 (Wild Card) Mike Zimmer – Minnesota Vikings This hiring was long overdue.  Mike Zimmer has been one of the best coordinators in the NFL for years and deserved a chance to head his own team.  Now he has that chance with the Minnesota Vikings.  One thing that can be rest assured is that he will straighten out a defense that struggled often in 2013.  The real dilemma facing the defensive head coach is how he plans to solve the Vikings’ quarterback woes.  Christian Ponder is a bust and Matt Cassel is a veteran with no long-term guarantees.  Zimmer must find stability at the position if Minnesota is going to compete in that division with three other really good teams. 2014 finish:  8-8 Lovie Smith – Tampa Bay Buccaneers No NFC team was more aggressive in free agency than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  They overhauled the entire roster from top to bottom, especially on defense as Lovie Smith prepares to install a system that made him famous during his nine-season run in Chicago.  They added a Pro Bowl corner in Alterraun Verner, a disruptive pass rush in Michael Johnson, a tight end in Brandon Myers, a left tackle in Anthony Collins and even a quarterback in veteran Josh McCown.  These moves have improved the talent level for sure, but it’s up to Smith to get them playing together quickly.  Getting past the Saints, Panthers and Falcons will be a season-long chore. 2014 finish:  9-7http://nflmocks.com/2014/04/04/new-nfl-head-coach-will-go-furthest-2014/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Bill O’Brien doesn’t entire the dire situation he did before though.”What?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Bill O’Brien doesn’t entire the dire situation he did before though."What?

Damn you auto correct .... ;DActually, I thought this wasn't that good of an article. How can you predict anything until after the draft and some of the OTA's. Might as well predict that Jay Gruden going 16-0 and Lovie will end up 0-16. There is no basis for his predictions based upon coaching changes. Wasn't worth the read IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

” Together with a strong draft and healthy Robert Griffin III…”Yeah, cause that's what Bruce Allen is known for...strong drafting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good luck Skins. No first rounder really hurts them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Caldwell and Lovie have the best chance because of experience and what they have to work with. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Minnesota improve a lot this year if they can figure out their QB situation, they have a lot of talent. If RGIII can get his crap together this year then Washington will be tough again.I live in Nashville and have been to plenty of Titans games... there's a serious lack of talent on that team and Whisenhunt has a LOT of work to do... they have nothing at QB, RB, WR and their pass rush stinks.Texans could be tough if they can stabilize everything under center too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still can't believe they sold the farm for Griffin. He was going to be a Brown haha.Even more sad is how ST Louis hasn't made the most of those trade downs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie has had the rockiest start of any of them. Gruden is hosed, his Quarterback is a steaming dumpster fire and cousins isn’t much better.  Poor Redskins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still can't believe they sold the farm for Griffin. He was going to be a Brown haha.Even more sad is how ST Louis hasn't made the most of those trade downs.

We will see they have some pieces on that team. Tavon Austin was probably overdrafted but he can be electric. They need a QB though, too bad the married Bradford with that contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not expecting much.I know that sounds awful, but that's what is see. Let's take a look at why we could be mediocre/bad.1. New staff.2. A plethora of new players.3. New schemes on BOTH sides.4.lovie surely has some rust.5. New qb.6. Questionable wideouts (besides vj).7.Schedule. (any time you have atl, no, and car twice a season, it's rough).8. Integration. How the team meshes.9. Mccown could get hurt behind this new ol.10. Can tedford compete in the nfl?It's not like it's the end of the world, and it could go great. Obviously, the players and personnel are both better on paper. However, we have to consider these things in our evaluations of our beloved team.There is some good hope in there if we look for it though. Not all is bad.1. Pro level hc. Definitely an improvement.2. Defense looks stacked talentwise.3. Mccown is a slight improvement over glennon.4. Rb's are obviously promising.5. Little gametape of our team.6. The promise of a #7 player. Hopefully offense (manziel, watkins, evans, teddy).7. Just hearing "spread offense" sounds like a nice change.8. We got rid of a bunch of slackers and idiots. Addition by subtraction.9. We have a better group of subs than we normally do.10. Hopefully the new helms blind opposing players.All in all, I believe it's fair to say 8-8 is a fair objective for the bucs. They could possibly go farther, but imo, expectations should start there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am not sure why anyone would be that high on the Texans.  I live in Houston, and their team has cap issues, has tons of needs, and doesn’t have a franchise QB.  I can’t really think of a worse situation than cap hell and no franchise QB.  They do play in the easiest division in the NFL, but they also put up the worst record in the league in that division last year.  Outside of Watt, I am not sure if they have a surefire stud on the rest of the team…Johnson is old, Cushing is always hurt, same for Foster.  Jonathan Joseph is good, but they definitely have secondary issues.  I think the Bucs and the Redskins have the best chance to make significant turnarounds.  RGIII put up probably the best statistical rookie QB year in history, but played poorly next year after coming off  ACL and MCL tears suffered in a playoff game.  They have some playmakers on offense, and when Orakpo and Kerrigan are healthy, they have a pass rush.  Dallas has cap issues and lost their two best pass rushers, New York also has issues on both sides of the ball, and the Eagles were boom or bust last year.  As for the Bucs, I think they are building a solid defense to negate the quality at QB in the division.  If we can get decent QB play and stay healthy on the O-line, then I like our chances.  I also think New Orleans and Atlanta's windows are closing.  Carolina was great last year, but they have no WRs (at least we have 1). 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Redskins have the best chance because of a weak division and QB. Next is Houston, though the previous concerns are valid. I see us as 7-9. But obviously if our draft is good enough, who knows…..

Please wait…

• majbodoh

Participant

If rank them as follows:1. Redskins: If RG3 returns to form the Redskins will be serious contenders for the NFC East title. Potentially RG3, Morris, Desean, Garçon and Reed could be scarily good if things click. (11-5)2. Lions: If not for falling apart last season, the Lions where in pole position for their division title. They've got an offense to go with any team in the league, and a decent defense too. I'd fancy them for a division title this season if things click. (11-5)3. Buccaneers: Might be biased, but I think we have a chance to compete for the division this season. The Falcons are retooling and aren't the side they were a couple of seasons ago. The Panthers D is impressive, but they have an O-Line and receiving core to rebuild. And the Saints while talented and my favorite for the division, could beaten to the post if out D becomes scarily good like the Panthers did, and the offense can be productive. (9-7)4. Vikings: Not sure they are play off calibre, but Zimmerman should get their defense sorted, and if they can find a decent QB in the draft they have some nice weapons in Jennings, Patterson, Rudolph and Peterson. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go 8-8. (8-8)5. Texans: Talented but need to stay healthy and bounce back. Plus find a decent QB. If they do they have a chance to compete for a wild card, but I feel it will be a transition season. (8-8)6. Browns: Talented defense. They need to find a QB and a RB, but have a decent O-Line and some very nice receiving options. If they could come out of the draft with Watkins to pair with Gordon, and a QB like Carr, they could end up having a good offense to make some noise in the AFC North. I liked what Pettine did in Buffalo, soon their D continues to improve and their offense does to, they could have a chance. (7-9)7. Titans: Whisenhunt was a fairly good hire, but they have a new defensive scheme to contend with, plus an offense that needs to find their franchise QB and new starting RB. I think they'll struggle and perhaps finish fourth in their division behind the Jags, especially of they stick with Locker. (5-11)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If RG III can stay upright, and DeSean works out, they could be in the running.Texans also, but they need a QB, and he needs to play well from day 1.I expect the Bucs to at least be competive. 9-7 or 10-6.  But that GD QB position is crucial, as always.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If RG III can stay upright, and DeSean works out, they could be in the running.Texans also, but they need a QB, and he needs to play well from day 1.I expect the Bucs to at least be competive. 9-7 or 10-6.  But that GD QB position is crucial, as always.

And that’s why I say 7-9. If we are average or better at QB, anything is possible. But gotta get receiving help.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can’t believe the Redskins are so highly regarded here. RG3 is a trash can, dude will never be the same after that knee injury. Watch the Skins lose a game or two….You think Jon Gruden’s fat ass little brother is going to be able to hold the locker room together with Deangelo Hall and Desean Jackson running around? HA. Thats a laugh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can't believe the Redskins are so highly regarded here. RG3 is a trash can, dude will never be the same after that knee injury. Watch the Skins lose a game or two....You think Jon Gruden's fat ass little brother is going to be able to hold the locker room together with Deangelo Hall and Desean Jackson running around? HA. Thats a laugh.

This is exactly right.  RGIII seems to be trending in the wrong direction.  He has to learn to do what Cam is doing and I am not sure he's capable.  He has far too slight a frame to play the way he does and I am not sure Gruden is deft enough at coaching QBs to overcome this project.  Gruden will last two years in DC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But that GD QB position is crucial, as always.

Don't tell 10lbbass....he thinks you should build a team around mediocre QB play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't tell 10lbbass....he thinks you should build a team around mediocre QB play.

I saw that.  I am sick of bandaids at the QB position. I hope Glennon pans out, or they draft a QB who turns out to be a gem.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I saw that.  I am sick of bandaids at the QB position. I hope Glennon pans out, or they draft a QB who turns out to be a gem.

Agreed

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can't believe the Redskins are so highly regarded here. RG3 is a trash can, dude will never be the same after that knee injury. Watch the Skins lose a game or two....You think Jon Gruden's fat ass little brother is going to be able to hold the locker room together with Deangelo Hall and Desean Jackson running around? HA. Thats a laugh.

This is exactly right.  RGIII seems to be trending in the wrong direction.  He has to learn to do what Cam is doing and I am not sure he's capable.  He has far too slight a frame to play the way he does and I am not sure Gruden is deft enough at coaching QBs to overcome this project.  Gruden will last two years in DC.

RG III, got hurt. That is trending in the wrong direction ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

C'mon, you know you love Glennon more than the hacks that are being served up as 1st rd. QBs in this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes.  Staying healthy would be trending in the right direction. He's not the same player post injury and probably never will be.  He came back too soon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes.  Staying healthy would be trending in the right direction. He's not the same player post injury and probably never will be.  He came back too soon.

History says otherwise. How many guys have come back from knee injuries? Hundreds?How many career's have ended because of knee injuries?  A handful.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

History says otherwise. How many guys have come back from knee injuries? Hundreds?How many career's have ended because of knee injuries?  A handful.

Not any old injury, you have to consider this specific type of knee injury before you throw around stats like that. Players hardly ever fully come back from damaged ACLs. And when you factor in his suckage the season after his surgery RG3's chances are even more slim to return to "normal".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not any old injury, you have to consider this specific type of knee injury before you throw around stats like that. Players hardly ever fully come back from damaged ACLs. And when you factor in his suckage the season after his surgery RG3's chances are even more slim to return to "normal".

You said yourself he came back too early.  Try again?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

History says otherwise. How many guys have come back from knee injuries? Hundreds?How many career's have ended because of knee injuries?  A handful.Look, he slowed down last year when he came back.  His speed was his big weapon in and out of the pocket.  Without the speed he's a pretty average pocket passer.  Despite what the Gatorade commercials tell you, RGIII is not super dedicated to anything that isn't RGIII.  He's not some great team guy.  Not trying to derail a thread but RGIII's career is not looking good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

C'mon, you know you love Glennon more than the hacks that are being served up as 1st rd. QBs in this draft.

There is nothing about Glennon's game that i like....nothing!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Players hardly ever fully come back from damaged ACLs.

Is this for real??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, 19 TDs with that pathetic cast and he's done nothing you like.  Hate the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, he slowed down last year when he came back.  His speed was his big weapon in and out of the pocket.  Without the speed he's a pretty average pocket passer.  Despite what the Gatorade commercials tell you, RGIII is not super dedicated to anything that isn't RGIII.  He's not some great team guy.  Not trying to derail a thread but RGIII's career is not looking good.

Your all over the place bro.  We already established he came back too early. Now with a full offseason to rehab, you don't expect him to be healthy?  What are you basing that on?You sound like your of the opinion, well, he had a knee injury, its all over for him. This is 2014, not 1960.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rg had bust written all over him coming out of college. Surprised people had such a high opinion of him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, 19 TDs with that pathetic cast and he's done nothing you like.  Hate the Bucs.

Craptastic Christian Ponder has had a 18 & 13 season. Hell, Freeman had a 25 & 6 season. Both of them ooze suckitude. For me, Glennon doesn't pass the eyeball test. Color this Buc fan unimpressed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is average, and IF asked to do more, won’t be able to handle it. He can’t go out and score, only prevent the ball from being turned over.19 tds isn't sh1t anyway. Now, he comes out in his rookie season at 25 plus, then we're talking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is average, and IF asked to do more, won't be able to handle it. He can't go out and score, only prevent the ball from being turned over.19 tds isn't sh1t anyway. Now, he comes out in his rookie season at 25 plus, then we're talking.

I am not pro-Glennon or anti-Glennon.  But we need to see how he progresses this season. Assuming he gets a start at some point. Who knows? He may light it up in training camp, and make McCown the backup for opening day. I just don't want another Steve Young situation again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is average, and IF asked to do more, won't be able to handle it. He can't go out and score, only prevent the ball from being turned over.19 tds isn't sh1t anyway. Now, he comes out in his rookie season at 25 plus, then we're talking.

I am not pro-Glennon or anti-Glennon.  But we need to see how he progresses this season. Assuming he gets a start at some point. Who knows? He may light it up in training camp, and make McCown the backup for opening day. I just don't want another Steve Young situation again.

There is nothing i've seen from Glennon that resembles Young. Secondly, every new coach wants his own guy....unless he's already special.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, he slowed down last year when he came back.  His speed was his big weapon in and out of the pocket.  Without the speed he's a pretty average pocket passer.  Despite what the Gatorade commercials tell you, RGIII is not super dedicated to anything that isn't RGIII.  He's not some great team guy.  Not trying to derail a thread but RGIII's career is not looking good.

Your all over the place bro.  We already established he came back too early. Now with a full offseason to rehab, you don't expect him to be healthy?  What are you basing that on?You sound like your of the opinion, well, he had a knee injury, its all over for him. This is 2014, not 1960.

He may be healthy but he will never be at the level speed wise he was two years ago and his basic pocket command is not great. If you are a closet WR fan and hope they are going to improve I would tell you that you shouldn't hold your breath.  They will struggle for years to come in MHO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is nothing i've seen from Glennon that resembles Young. Secondly, every new coach wants his own guy....unless he's already special.

Yet.  I don't think we really know what we have in Glennon. So my point is, lets be sure what he is, before sending him down the road. I am not talking 5 seasons, or anything like that. I think they will have a pretty good handle on who he is, after this upcoming season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He may be healthy but he will never be at the level speed wise he was two years ago and his basic pocket command is not great. If you are a closet WR fan and hope they are going to improve I would tell you that you shouldn't hold your breath.  They will struggle for years to come in MHO.

You should use IMO, instead of MHO.  Nothing you post comes across as being humble. Its more like wild proclamations, that are written in stone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bringing in McCown and declaring him starter tells me all i need to know in regards to Lovie’s feelings towards Glennon. Not sure why others are having a hard time grasping that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bringing in McCown and declaring him starter tells me all i need to know in regards to Lovie's feelings towards Glennon. Not sure why others are having a hard time grasping that.

What if.....They needed to tell McCown that to get his sig on the contract. Then if Glennon beats him out in training camp, Lovie can just say, Oh well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bringing in McCown and declaring him starter tells me all i need to know in regards to Lovie's feelings towards Glennon. Not sure why others are having a hard time grasping that.

What if.....They needed to tell McCown that to get his sig on the contract. Then if Glennon beats him out in training camp, Lovie can just say, Oh well.

Hence a discussion i had a couple days ago. It wouldn't be the first time since his hire that Lovie has said one thing and done another(Revis & Williams). IMO, he'd be better served to go the Belichick route and just say nothing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What exactly are you referencing when you mention Revis and Williams? Im lost.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He means Lovie stated on separate occasions that there was a plan for Revis with his defensive schemes and he spoke of williams as if he would be on our team as well.  Now both are gone. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hence a discussion i had a couple days ago. It wouldn't be the first time since his hire that Lovie has said one thing and done another(Revis & Williams). IMO, he'd be better served to go the Belichick route and just say nothing.

Agree, he should just say nothing.  Glennon will be on this team unless I am completely missing something.  He has no attitude works hard and is coming off the best rookie season of any of last years QBs.

Please wait…

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.