Viewing 85 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Power Rankings: The greatest player in the history of every franchiseMarch 25, 2014 10:25 am EDT ??Power-Rankings_zps28df43b7.jpgEvery team has a GOAT. You know, the “greatest of all-time.” The best player to ever don the uniform. The first pick on every fan’s Mount Rushmore.Whether a franchise has been around since the early years of the National Football League or was the most-recent addition via expansion, someone is atop their all-time roster. If they’ve played a game, one player has emerged as the best ever.But that does mean that all GOATs are created equally. Far from it. Some are perennial Pro Bowl selections. Some are Hall of Fame inductees. And others are in the rarest of stratospheres, going down as one of the league’s iconic figures.With that notion in mind, the editors at cover32 rated every team’s greatest all-time player, from No. 1 to 32, to determine which franchise has the best of the best. There’s two parts to the equation: First, selecting each team’s GOAT. Second, ranking those players.Here’s how it shaped up:***1. Jerry Rice (San Francisco 49ers) – Rice is not only the greatest 49er of all-time, which is saying something considering the fact that Joe Montana is in that conversation, but he’s the greatest player to ever wear an NFL uniform.2. Jim Brown (Cleveland Browns) – An argument can certainly be made that Brown was the best player in league history, given that he won eight rushing titles in nine seasons, was a nine-time Pro Bowler and earned eight first-team All-Pro honors.3. Walter Payton (Chicago Bears) – Despite playing on some bad teams, when he was the only offensive weapon, “Sweetness” was able to amass enough yards to be the league’s all-time leading rusher at the time of his retirement.4. Emmitt Smith (Dallas Cowboys) – Smith broke Payton’s record, to be the current holder of the all-time rushing mark. Plus, he was the driving force behind the Cowboys dynasty of the early 1990s, helping Dallas win three Super Bowls.5. Brett Favre (Green Bay Packers) – If there’s a passing record in the NFL’s annals, it probably has Favre’s name next to it. Plus, he was a walking highlight reel, doing something on the field every week that made fans ooh and aah.6. Lawrence Taylor (New York Giants) – LT revolutionized the outside linebacker position, turning it into a spot on the field that was reserved for elite pass rushers. Few defensive players have dominated games like Taylor did in the 1980s.7. Barry Sanders (Detroit Lions) – Had he not walked away from the game after just 10 seasons, he’d likely hold every league rushing record. As it is, fans are simply left with memories of some of the most-electrifying runs in NFL history.8. Jack Lambert (Pittsburgh Steelers) – The Steelers won four Super Bowls in the 1970s on the back of their famed “Steel Curtain” defense. Lambert was the heart and soul of that unit, as the linebacker personified Pittsburgh’s toughness.9. John Elway (Denver Broncos) – Elway retired as the winningest quarterback in NFL history, a stat that embodies his career. It wasn’t always pretty, but No. 7 got the job done, including leading Denver to five Super Bowls and two titles.10. Johnny Unitas (Indianapolis Colts) – Johnny U. ushered in the modern passing game, plus he was the quarterback during the 1958 NFL Championship Game, which has been dubbed “the greatest game ever played.”11. Deacon Jones (St. Louis Rams) – Before Jones came along, there wasn’t a way to measure how much havoc a defensive lineman could wreak on an offense. But because he was always harassing quarterbacks, the sack became a term and stat.12. Tom Brady (New England Patriots) – Brady has led the Patriots to five Super Bowls and three championships, helping New England become the signature franchise of the 21st century. And he’s not done yet.13. Steve Largent (Seattle Seahawks) – When he retired, Largent held the NFL’s all-time records for receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches. Plus, he had caught a pass in a then-record 177 consecutive games.14. Anthony Munoz (Cincinnati Bengals) – Munoz is perhaps the greatest left tackle to ever play the game, a designation worthy of praise. But it says a lot about the Bengals that the best player in franchise history was an offensive lineman.15. Howie Long (Oakland Raiders) – There are perhaps players that better personify the Raiders mystique (Jack Tatum, Ted Hendricks), but none of them were a better player than Long, one of the greatest defensive linemen in NFL history.16. Dan Marino (Miami Dolphins) – People like to knock Marino because he didn’t win a Super Bowl, which clearly is a giant omission on his résumé, but few quarterbacks in the history of the league could chuck it like No. 13.17. Derrick Thomas (Kansas City Chiefs) – Thomas wasn’t a great all-around player, but the linebacker could do one thing exceptionally well; he could get after the quarterback, perhaps better than any NFL player ever, including Lawrence Taylor.18. Ray Lewis (Baltimore Ravens) – Lewis was a great player, a middle linebacker who was always around the ball, but his leadership skills perhaps eclipsed his abilities on the field. He helped will the Ravens to a pair of world championships.19. Jim Kelly (Buffalo Bills) – In a day and age where teams still preferred to run the ball more than throw it, Kelly was chucking it all over the yard as the trigger man for Buffalo’s “K Gun” offense, a machine that took the Bills to four straight Super Bowls.20. Darrell Green (Washington Redskins) – Green played 20 seasons at cornerback, which is an impressive feat. Being a Redskin for all of those years is even more amazing. There’s a reason he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2008.21. LaDainian Tomlinson (San Diego Chargers) – In 2006, LT rushed for 1,815 yards and 28 touchdowns, while also posting 508 receiving yards and five more scores. In the mid-2000s he was the games best offensive player. By a mile.22. Dan Dierdorf (Arizona Cardinals) – Today, most people know Dierdorf for his work in the broadcast booth. They forget that he had a Hall-of-Fame career on the field, where he was a five-time All-Pro and a part of the 1970s All-Decade team.23. Alan Page (Minnesota Vikings) – A cornerstone of the famed “Purple People Eaters” defense, Page was a nine-time Pro Bowl selection, six-time All-Pro, a member of the 1970s All-Decade team and the 1971 NFL MVP.24. Earl Campbell (Tennessee Titans) – In the late-1970s and early ’80s, “The Tyler Rose” was the most-feared player in the NFL. And he was a running back. No defensive player wanted to attempt to tackle Campbell in the open field.goat1_zps602e5d14.jpg25. Lee Roy Selmon (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) – Selmon was drafted No. 1 overall by the expansion Bucs. His first year, Tampa Bay went winless. Four years later, when Selmon was Defensive Player of the Year, they were in the NFC title game.26. Joe Namath (New York Jets) – Namath is a legend more for his off-the-field swagger than the numbers he posted during an injury-riddled career. But guaranteeing a victory in Super Bowl III is part of NFL lore.27. Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia Eagles) – Oddly, the greatest Eagles player of all-time isn’t all that revered in Philly, where the fans have a love-hate relationship with the quarterback who led them to five NFC title games and one Super Bowl.28. Tommy Nobis (Atlanta Falcons) – The No. 1 overall pick in 1966, Nobis languished in anonymity on some bad Falcons teams. But his contemporaries knew how good he was on the field, electing him to five Pro Bowl teams.29. Tony Boselli (Jacksonville Jaguars) – As the Jaguars inch toward their 20th anniversary, their former offensive tackle who was selected to be a part of the 1990s All-Decade team is still clearly the greatest player in franchise history.30. Archie Manning (New Orleans Saints) – He’s still revered in New Orleans, despite the fact that he didn’t do much winning during his days as the Saints quarterback. His No. 8 was retired for a reason; he personifies the black and gold.31. Steve Smith (Carolina Panthers) – It says a lot about today’s NFL that the greatest player in Panthers history was just released by the team. After 836 catches, 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns in Carolina, Smith is now a Raven.32. Andre Johnson (Houston Texans) – Johnson has posted monster numbers during his 11 years in Houston, including back-to-back 1,500-yard seasons in which he led the NFL in receiving. Someday, he’ll be first into the Texans’ Ring of Fame.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/power_rankings_whos_the_biggest_fool_in_tampa_bay_buccaneers_franchise_history/16156714?linksrc=story_team_tampa_bay_buccaneers_auto_module_head_16156714

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In Bucs history, the greatest ever was Lee Roy Selmon.  End of story.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Archie Manning better than Drew Brees? Ehm.. Meh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm surprised you aren't picking Freeman, Lord Freesus.  Why did you stop using that screen name anyway? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jack Lambert was a great LB, but Mean Joe Green was the heart and soul of that defense. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm surprised you aren't picking Freeman, Lord Freesus.  Why did you stop using that screen name anyway?

Freeman never played for the Saints. Christ, you're an idiot.I change screen names as players come and go from the team. After this draft I plan on having another one :)At least I don't get banned from a message board like you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jack Lambert was a great LB, but Mean Joe Green was the heart and soul of that defense.

I can't argue that.  Mean Joe was the key to the Steelers turn around.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cant argue with Lee Roy Selmon. He was a first class person as well. After meeting him in public and seeing how he treated everyone with such respect …. he will always be my GOAT Buccaneer. What a wonderful man he was.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wasn’t around when selmon played, but I have to think Sapp needs to be in close consideration. He defined the position, not just for the team but the league. Sapp was dominant.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

thisMean Joe and its not close

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Favre over BART STARR?? Favre had the stats and was a media darling, but Bart Starr had FIVE NFL championships, for Cripes sakes!!!!    A few others I'd disagree with; Marino over Csonka? Payton over Butkus? Mean Joe for sure too. I think this is all about stats and nothing more...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Favre over BART STARR?? Favre had the stats and was a media darling, but Bart Starr had FIVE NFL championships, for Cripes sakes!!!!    A few others I'd disagree with; Marino over Csonka? Payton over Butkus? Mean Joe for sure too. I think this is all about stats and nothing more...

Understand the sentiment about Favre, but guys get lots of media points for bringing a team out of the "dark times".  Not to mention retiring with how many NFL records?  Starr, while a great player in his time, was more of a product of a Vince Lombardi coached team and lack of competition.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon was 10x the man that Sapp was…..but if we are just talking about on the field, then Sapp is our GOAT imo. He isn’t just our GOAT, he is the greatest UT in NFL history. He changed the whole the **CENSORED**ing game for cripes sake. He may be an idiot and a jackass, while Selmon was one of the best men you will ever meet…..but I don’t think that is what we are talking about here. Is it?Selmon had 78 sacks, which is a very nice career for a DE. Sapp had 96 sacks.....which is ridiculous for a DT.I'd vote Sapp. Then Selmon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon was 10x the man that Sapp was.....but if we are just talking about on the field, then Sapp is our GOAT imo. He isn't just our GOAT, he is the greatest UT in NFL history. He changed the whole the **CENSORED**ing game for cripes sake. He may be an idiot and a jackass, while Selmon was one of the best men you will ever meet.....but I don't think that is what we are talking about here. Is it?Selmon had 78 sacks, which is a very nice career for a DE. Sapp had 96 sacks.....which is ridiculous for a DT.I'd vote Sapp. Then Selmon.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Emmitt Smith isn’t a top 10 Dallas Cowboy.  Funny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And personally, I don’t think it even makes sense to look at guys from the 50s and 60s for these type of things. Imo, there should be a cut off date somewhere in the mid to late 60s because the game changed and it’s like comparing apples and oranges. I don’t wanna here about some dude in a leather helmet from 1958 being better than Calvin Johnson or Brett Favre. There is a modern era of football and it started in the early 70s. Everything before that was a different sport imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brooks and if you disagree, ask Sapp.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon was 10x the man that Sapp was.....but if we are just talking about on the field, then Sapp is our GOAT imo. He isn't just our GOAT, he is the greatest UT in NFL history. He changed the whole the **CENSORED**ing game for cripes sake. He may be an idiot and a jackass, while Selmon was one of the best men you will ever meet.....but I don't think that is what we are talking about here. Is it?Selmon had 78 sacks, which is a very nice career for a DE. Sapp had 96 sacks.....which is ridiculous for a DT.I'd vote Sapp. Then Selmon.

You are too young to have seen Selmon play.  Your vote doesn't count.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It takes guts to go against Selmon, but I’d go Brooks too, although it’s real close ;D…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It takes guts to go against Selmon, but I'd go Brooks too, although it's real close ;D...

It's like many argue on here - He's the best player on the best Bucs Team in history.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Understand the sentiment about Favre, but guys get lots of media points for bringing a team out of the "dark times".  Not to mention retiring with how many NFL records?  Starr, while a great player in his time, was more of a product of a Vince Lombardi coached team and lack of competition.

No question Starr was a Lombardi product. But, I have to say LOMBARDI brought that team out of the “dark times” way before Favre came on the scene. Good teams want to be judged by their championships, not individual players' stats. I'm sure you know that...  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cowboy fans loved Emmitt, but ask THEM who is Mr. Cowboy…. ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don Hudson was the greatest Packer ever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cowboy fans loved Emmitt, but ask THEM who is Mr. Cowboy.... ;D

Staubach

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It takes guts to go against Selmon, but I'd go Brooks too, although it's real close ;D...

Brooks had a better surrounding cast. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp/Brooks.Right hook, left uppercut.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You probably mean Don Hutson, WR.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And personally, I don't think it even makes sense to look at guys from the 50s and 60s for these type of things. Imo, there should be a cut off date somewhere in the mid to late 60s because the game changed and it's like comparing apples and oranges. I don't wanna here about some dude in a leather helmet from 1958 being better than Calvin Johnson or Brett Favre. There is a modern era of football and it started in the early 70s. Everything before that was a different sport imo.

Jdub, I’d say more like late 50’s was the beginning of the modern era of football. That win by the Colts over the Giants for the NFL championship was a major catalyst. Maybe not all the rules changes to the game you like were yet in place by then, but that’s when the NFL started to grow, both literally and in fan popularity. And the TV industry right along side it too…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You probably mean Don Hutson, WR.

You betcha.  typo.  I never saw him play live (of course), but I've seen enough and read enough about him to realize he was a monster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Staubach

agreed.  And for the 49ers I’d give the edge to Montana. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d personally go with Brooks, but I absolutely would not argue with those who would go with Selmon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vikings I’d say Tark. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vikings I'd say Tark.

Most talented for the Vikings is Moss.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No Buc D lineman was feared more than Selmon. Comparing a 3-4 end to a UT with stats from different eras is folly and younger fans are going to have more recent memories. "There are only three things that I never want to happen. Get buried at sea, get hit in the mouth with a hockey puck, or go back out and play another half against Lee Roy Selmon."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody is saying Selmon wasn’t great. It is very close imo…..but Sapp literally changed the way the game was played. There had never been a UT like him before and there hasn’t been one since. Every top UT that comes out is compared to Sapp, because he was the pinnacle of perfection at his position. You ever hear people say “He looks like the next Lee Roy Selmon”? No. Because while Selmon was great, he was not the best ever at his position. He might not even be top 10 at his position. Sapp on the other hand is one of the NFLs GOAT, not just the Bucs. Sapp is a one of a kind and the vast majority of people you ask around the country will tell you Sapp is the best UT to ever play the game. So I really don’t see how Selmon would beat out Sapp for this honor.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody is saying Selmon wasn't great. It is very close imo.....but Sapp literally changed the way the game was played. There had never been a UT like him before and there hasn't been one since. Every top UT that comes out is compared to Sapp, because he was the pinnacle of perfection at his position. You ever hear people say "He looks like the next Lee Roy Selmon"? No. Because while Selmon was great, he was not the best ever at his position. He might not even be top 10 at his position. Sapp on the other hand is one of the NFLs GOAT, not just the Bucs. Sapp is a one of a kind and the vast majority of people you ask around the country will tell you Sapp is the best UT to ever play the game. So I really don't see how Selmon would beat out Sapp for this honor.

I love me some Sapp, but a lot of Randle fans might disagree with you.  I can still see him chasing that chicken around the yard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah….John Randle was ridiculous. Love that guy. That is who by boy Aaron Donald reminds me of…..which is why I want us to draft him so bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I used to think that way, but I'm more inclined to go with Starr now. The "dark times" were just as bleak for the Packers from 1945 - 1960. And I think while Lombardi was obviously huge, that very few QBs meshed as well with a HC as Starr did with Lombardi. He was an extension of the coach on the field and the more I learn about Lombardi, a critical buffer that helped the team survive Lombardi.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And personally, I don't think it even makes sense to look at guys from the 50s and 60s for these type of things. Imo, there should be a cut off date somewhere in the mid to late 60s because the game changed and it's like comparing apples and oranges. I don't wanna here about some dude in a leather helmet from 1958 being better than Calvin Johnson or Brett Favre. There is a modern era of football and it started in the early 70s. Everything before that was a different sport imo.

Jdub, I'd say more like late 50's was the beginning of the modern era of football. That win by the Colts over the Giants for the NFL championship was a major catalyst. Maybe not all the rules changes to the game you like were yet in place by then, but that's when the NFL started to grow, both literally and in fan popularity. And the TV industry right along side it too...

Yeah - I'd add too that in some ways the 70s were somewhat of an anomaly, in that the running game was a bigger factor than it was in the 1960s or 1980s. Football Outsiders did something on this once. It's why (I suspect) a lot of people of a certain vintage who grew up on 1970s football still are suckers for running backs going early.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah....John Randle was ridiculous. Love that guy. That is who by boy Aaron Donald reminds me of.....which is why I want us to draft him so bad.

That's a good comp. I've seen Dom Easley compared to Randle too, and there is definitely film showing some similarities.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s very close between Lee Roy and Derek. I say Lee Roy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Derrick Brooks and wins by a nose

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody is saying Selmon wasn't great. It is very close imo.....but Sapp literally changed the way the game was played. There had never been a UT like him before and there hasn't been one since. Every top UT that comes out is compared to Sapp, because he was the pinnacle of perfection at his position. You ever hear people say "He looks like the next Lee Roy Selmon"? No. Because while Selmon was great, he was not the best ever at his position. He might not even be top 10 at his position. Sapp on the other hand is one of the NFLs GOAT, not just the Bucs. Sapp is a one of a kind and the vast majority of people you ask around the country will tell you Sapp is the best UT to ever play the game. So I really don't see how Selmon would beat out Sapp for this honor.

I think you make some good points, but Selmon made the 1980s all-decade team at DE and probably is considered one of the 3 or 4 best 3-4 ends to play the game, and I think in fact he's more underrated nationally as a result of the Buc's history. 78 sacks as 3-4 end is nothing to sneeze at either, and if you didn't watch him live you'd find it hard to imagine how much blocking was shaded his way. Personally, I think Selmon, Sapp, or Brooks are all acceptable - very, very, close.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Selmon was ridiculous.Sapp was ridiculous.Saying who was more dominant is like saying who is smarter....Chrispy or Doloris.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even though the guy is the epitome of d-bag, I’d have to give the nod to Sapp. And Brooks a close second.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jake Plummer

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp for me!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a long span but 2001-2005 Simeon Rice was the most dominant. He was the best player in the entire league in 2002 and he stepped his game up in the playoffs. 8 sacks in 5 post-season games as a Buc. Should have 2002 Defensive Player of the Year and Super Bowl MVP

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a long span but 2001-2005 Simeon Rice was the most dominant. He was the best player in the entire league in 2002 and he stepped his game up in the playoffs. 8 sacks in 5 post-season games as a Buc. Should have 2002 Defensive Player of the Year and Super Bowl MVP

Rice was a beast. Still have his jersey. Loved his personality too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I kind of thought Rice deserved DPOTY over Brooks because a lot of the plays Brooks made were due to Rice. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vikings I'd say Tark.

Yep, he and Eller and Page were all big names in Viking lore. I’d add the quiet one, FS Paul Krause to that list. His 81 picks I believe is still the NFL standard; missed only 2 games in 16 seasons…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Staubach

agreed.  And for the 49ers I'd give the edge to Montana.

Speaking of a ‘system’ QB…  ;D Trying to decide between Rice or Montana makes the brain hurt…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jake Plummer

ilt.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I used to think that way, but I'm more inclined to go with Starr now. The "dark times" were just as bleak for the Packers from 1945 - 1960. And I think while Lombardi was obviously huge, that very few QBs meshed as well with a HC as Starr did with Lombardi. He was an extension of the coach on the field and the more I learn about Lombardi, a critical buffer that helped the team survive Lombardi.

Excellent point! Yep; Lombardi wasn’t perfect, and he was smart enough to LISTEN to Starr and take his advice. One of the best player/coach relationships the NFL has ever seen. Starr was quiet, but Lombardi recognized he had that ‘IT’ factor to be a great  LEADER, and gave Starr that opportunity over BETTER athletes at QB he had on the roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think you make some good points, but Selmon made the 1980s all-decade team at DE and probably is considered one of the 3 or 4 best 3-4 ends to play the game, and I think in fact he's more underrated nationally as a result of the Buc's history. 78 sacks as 3-4 end is nothing to sneeze at either, and if you didn't watch him live you'd find it hard to imagine how much blocking was shaded his way. Personally, I think Selmon, Sapp, or Brooks are all acceptable - very, very, close.

Agreed!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Staubach

agreed.  And for the 49ers I'd give the edge to Montana.

Speaking of a 'system' QB...  ;D Trying to decide between Rice or Montana makes the brain hurt...

greatest QB of all time vs greatest WR of all time.  have to go with the QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

still think its Stabach but what about Bob Lilly?  he might be #2.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Last rant: A couple more gawd-awful choices, IMO, were: 1) the Redskins (ever hear of the DIESEL, John Riggins?). And Darrell Green WAS great, no question. 2) The WORST was the Eagles (try the DUTCHMAN, HOFer Norm Van Brocklin, who engineered the Eagles last NFL championship in 1960, and is the only QB to ever beat Lombardi in a playoff game). Van Brocklin also holds the NFL record for most yards passing in a single game, set in 1951… I doubt McNabb ever makes the HOF, either… Two other Eagle HOFer’s also ignored come to mind; WR Tommy McDonald and MLD Chuck Bednarik…  /End of rant

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can't argue with a word of that!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

still think its Stabach but what about Bob Lilly?  he might be #2.

Good catch! Bob Lilly IS the official “Mr. Cowboy”, not Roger Staubach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A lot of truth here. When Rice landed in our lap, our defense went from “very good” to “dominant” to “Super Bowl champs”…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The more I think about it, it’s Brooks hands down.  Did it more consistently for a longer period of time.  Should have made the pro-bowl in his second year. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

there are three obvious choices, and a great argument can be made for each.  My choices: Selmon edges Sapp by the slimmest of margins and Brooks a step behind them.  If the draft were held today, and all three were available to choose from, that would be the order I would choose them.Selmon is undervalued by many on this board because they were unable to watch him play.  My opinion on Selmon is based not just on watching him play, and dominate as a pass rusher in a 3-4, but in speaking to others within the organization.  The most glowing reviews I have heard actually came from Warren Sapp himself.  Sapp talked about the man with honest respect, almost reverence, and refused to compare him to anyone other than Simeon Rice- and we all know how he feels about Rice.  Abe Gibron would speak about him with awe, and said he was the best to play at his position, but would never be remembered as such by most folks.  Despite being on teams that were at times awful, despite playing at a position, that would never maximize his pass rushing ability, and despite being so kind hearted, that he actually aimed to wrap up quarterbacks in a style designed to minimize the potential for injury to the passer rather than risk injury with hits ( true story),  Selmon put up a Hall of Fame career.  Sapp played with another sure fire HOFer, and at least three border line HOFers who might join him in Canton.  Selmon did not.  For all the love that Doug Williams gets, people do realize, or forget, that Selmon was the heart, spine and shoulders of the Bucs in those long ago glory years rode upon.  In short, Selmon was the player that Sapp was, with the character of Brooks, and a presence, I would argue, even greater.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren for me.  Lets hope the player that overtakes Warren and Selmon as the GOAT Buc, is on the team now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren for me.  Lets hope the player that overtakes Warren and Selmon as the GOAT Buc, is on the team now.

Fingers crossed, but that is a long way off as yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Might be Lavonte David when it’s all said and done. Was just looking at his stats and highlights from last year…..we finally lucked out. Love this guy so much. He’s in year two and he is playing like Brooks in his prime AND racking up 7 sacks? Just wow. I sure hope he stays healthy and keeps playing at this level. SOOOOOO happy we got him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Might be Lavonte David when it's all said and done. Was just looking at his stats and highlights from last year.....we finally lucked out. Love this guy so much. He's in year two and he is playing like Brooks in his prime AND racking up 7 sacks? Just wow. I sure hope he stays healthy and keeps playing at this level. SOOOOOO happy we got him.

I'm wondering what he's capable of in a Lovie scheme.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Might be Lavonte David when it's all said and done. Was just looking at his stats and highlights from last year.....we finally lucked out. Love this guy so much. He's in year two and he is playing like Brooks in his prime AND racking up 7 sacks? Just wow. I sure hope he stays healthy and keeps playing at this level. SOOOOOO happy we got him.

He might just burst into light and ascend to some higher celestial plane.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He might just burst into light and ascend to some higher celestial plane.

Or turn into Chuck Norris. Either way...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He doesn't seem to happylavontecrying_zps10d8e433.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He doesn't seem to happylavontecrying_zps10d8e433.jpg

I hear he despises bad grammar.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Java….climb off the ladyboy for a minute and cast your vote for MC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp was our GOAT 1A. Brooks was 1B.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i seriously doubt he matches or exceeds the stats he put up last year.  Not saying he’s going to get worse or anything as a player but stat wise it would be very unrealistic to expect.  If he does….then maybe we will be talking about him as the greatest LB of all time. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

there are three obvious choices, and a great argument can be made for each.  My choices: Selmon edges Sapp by the slimmest of margins and Brooks a step behind them.  If the draft were held today, and all three were available to choose from, that would be the order I would choose them.Selmon is undervalued by many on this board because they were unable to watch him play.  My opinion on Selmon is based not just on watching him play, and dominate as a pass rusher in a 3-4, but in speaking to others within the organization.  The most glowing reviews I have heard actually came from Warren Sapp himself.  Sapp talked about the man with honest respect, almost reverence, and refused to compare him to anyone other than Simeon Rice- and we all know how he feels about Rice.  Abe Gibron would speak about him with awe, and said he was the best to play at his position, but would never be remembered as such by most folks.  Despite being on teams that were at times awful, despite playing at a position, that would never maximize his pass rushing ability, and despite being so kind hearted, that he actually aimed to wrap up quarterbacks in a style designed to minimize the potential for injury to the passer rather than risk injury with hits ( true story),  Selmon put up a Hall of Fame career.  Sapp played with another sure fire HOFer, and at least three border line HOFers who might join him in Canton.  Selmon did not.  For all the love that Doug Williams gets, people do realize, or forget, that Selmon was the heart, spine and shoulders of the Bucs in those long ago glory years rode upon.  In short, Selmon was the player that Sapp was, with the character of Brooks, and a presence, I would argue, even greater.

Well said. I guess some people are too young to remember how dominant Lee Roy Selmon was. But I totally agree. I dont have a problem with any of the guys suggested Brooks Sapp and Selmon but Selmon will always be my favorite Buccaneer of all time.He played on terrible teams here a long time ago and Sapp and Brooks won a ring. Makes sense for him to be overlooked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well said. I guess some people are too young to remember how dominant Lee Roy Selmon was. But I totally agree. I dont have a problem with any of the guys suggested Brooks Sapp and Selmon but Selmon will always be my favorite Buccaneer of all time.He played on terrible teams here a long time ago and Sapp and Brooks won a ring. Makes sense for him to be overlooked.

I agree with you guys.  It was an honor to have Lee Roy Selmon play for the Bucs.  I was lucky enough to have watched him play and to have met him a few times.  It's a shame a meaningless game like the Pro Bowl ended his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i seriously doubt he matches or exceeds the stats he put up last year.  Not saying he's going to get worse or anything as a player but stat wise it would be very unrealistic to expect.  If he does....then maybe we will be talking about him as the greatest LB of all time.

If he does it two years in a row, ya think he'll actually get a pro bowl nod this time? smh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes, sadly, it makes total sense for him to be overlooked.  It's a crime, but completely understandable.  It also takes a combination of age, and football knowledge and understanding to completely appreciate his game. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

selmon-hof-sig-pw2.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another great.hardy-old-stad.jpg

Please wait…

• calrose

Participant

Double Nickel.  He literally changed the game.  Prior to Brooks, LB’s were thought of as big, physical run stoppers.  Most people thought DB was too light in the ass to play in the NFL.  Now everyone wants ‘backers that can cover tight ends.  He was the prototype for a new era of linebacker.  There’ll never be another.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Micheal “air” Glennon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who do you think is the GOAT drafted by the Bucs ?          Bo JacksonWho do you think is the GOAT player that actually played for the Bucs ?  Warren

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who do you think is the GOAT drafted by the Bucs ?          Bo JacksonWho do you think is the GOAT player that actually played for the Bucs ?  Warren

Bo the greatest marketing machine?  Certainly...Bo the greatest athlete?  Quite possibly, maybe certainly.Bo the greatest PLAYER?  No way no how.  All three of the guys being heavily be debated, were better than Jackson.

Please wait…

Viewing 85 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.