Viewing 39 reply threads

• Author

• Ghost in the Ruins

Participant

Since the news is relatively slow since the start of FA was almost a month ago, just for fun who would you like to see the Bucs pick? Assuming that anything can happen ex: players drop or we trade up/down, any player is in play. I would be happy if we chose any of the following, in order of preference:1. Clowney2. Watkins 3. Mack4. Evans5. Any of the top 3 QBs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Manziel, Bridgewater, and Clowney are off the board by the time we pick. A trade down would be ideal, but I’d be happy with another 6’5″ burner on the perimeter. Matchup nightmares.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Aaron donald. But there are many players id be happy with.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even though we have several needs, I think that if a scenario played out like this, I would be quite happy1. Evans 2. Benjamin3. Best TE available5 Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw or A.J. McCarron depending on if any drop this far

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Lovie refuses to give Glennon the opportunity to be the future, then I’m on board with Johnny Football.  It would help, though, if the contract made it mandatory that he get married before September, attend church twice a week, and curfew at 11pm.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have absolutely NO idea who the Bucs could, should or will pick. This draft is a complete mystery to me. Seems to be very deep at WO, an obvious need. Could we trade down? I’d like that if the deal was right. Watkins would be great. So would Manziel. Lots of PR time coming up to the draft and I'll definitely be listening on my smartphone at work on May 8, 9 and 10. TRYING not to blurt out a cheer or jeer! 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clowney, Bridgewater, Mack, Watkins.Its almost assured that we'll miss on Clowney, Mack, & Watkins (especially Clowney).I've been really warming to Bridgewater (in part due to this analysis: http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/nfl-draft-2014/2014-nfl-draft-yet-another-teddy-bridgewater-scouting-report) and am moving more and more against Manziel the more I read (not that my thoughts are original).I'm extremely concerned about his off-field personality. I can't think of any QB, especially so young, that's been able to juggle football and such large business interests. Although anecdotal and very possibluy erroneos, it does seem that RG3's rookie season (and subsequent focus on other interests) distracted from his preparation this year, if Shanahan is to be believed. I'm also concerned about his ability to stay in the pocket. Teams will really contain him and I've read nothing that makes me confident that he'll make the transition to successfully reading defences (Charlie Campbell, whose scouting reports have been quite accurate just posted this report: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jmanziel.php).  He's also short, and a key difference between Manziel and other successful short QBs (ie. Wilson and Brees) is that they came into the league with very high football intelligence - both quarterbacks were known for their ability to pick up playbooks and read opposing defences.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BPA at DL,OL,WR,LB.  No idea who we pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Any of the top four QB’sGilbert

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sammy Watkins or Taylor Lewan

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would love to draft Watkins at seven but if he is not there, I would trade down and pick up more picks and draft DT  Aaron Donald of pitt and then with our second pick address the WR  position since it is very deep in quality wideouts this year. i am not as sold on Evans as a lot of people are and I think we need a quality receiver with speed and I think we can find that early in the second round or if we can trade down we can have enough picks to trade back up into the late first round and get a good receiver there. I just think the bucs should pick the best player on the board if we keep number seven which gives us more of a chance of him being a good player instead of a bust!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matthews every day of the week, if he’s still there. There will be more than one good player available though. One guy who I feel doesn’t get discussed a lot is Ebron, and we all know that Tedford has a fondness for the versatility TEs offer. He’s a bit of a reach at 7, but stranger things have happened on draft day…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Any player that helps the team get back to winning. Now whether that is in the short term or long term I really dont care. Like the rest of us fans I too have my favorites. Below is a list of my favorite players in this draft…No real order just grouped by position. QB Teddy BridgewaterQB Jimmy GaroppoloQB Connor ShawQB Garrett GilbertTE Jace AmaroTE Crockett GillmoreTE Ted BolserWR Sammy WatkinsWR Donte MoncriefWR Josh HuffWR Cody HoffmanWR John BrownWR Albert WilsonG/T Zack MartinT Cameron FlemingG/T Bryce QuigleyG/T Austin WentworthG/T Joel BitonioG Dakota DozierC Tyler LarsenDE Scott CrichtonDE Jackson JeffcoatDE Larry WebsterDE Terrence FedeLB Yawin SmallwoodLB Lamin BarrowLB Avery WilliamsonLB Khalil MackLB Kyle Van NoyLB Carl BradfordLB Christian KirkseyCB Jason VerrettCB Lamarcus JoynerCB E.J. GainesCB Ross CockrellCB Pierre Desir

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Either trade up for Watkins (using our 3rd rounder at most) or wait and take Aaron Donald. Having Donald and McCoy and Johnson and Clayborn rushing the passer on 3rd downs would generate amazing pressure — esp with McCoy and Donald collapsing the pocket in no time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the idea of getting another good pass rusher next to McCoy, but I think I’d rather try to get Easley in the third. That dude can rush and would allow us to use the 1st rounder for another position. IMHO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the idea of getting another good pass rusher next to McCoy, but I think I'd rather try to get Easley in the third. That dude can rush and would allow us to use the 1st rounder for another position. IMHO

i wouldnt mind easley.  he reminds me of mccoy, causing havoc but not always putting up stats.  but 2 acl tears already?  buyer beware

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the idea of getting another good pass rusher next to McCoy, but I think I'd rather try to get Easley in the third. That dude can rush and would allow us to use the 1st rounder for another position. IMHO

i wouldnt mind easley.  he reminds me of mccoy, causing havoc but not always putting up stats.  but 2 acl tears already?  buyer beware

For sure.  With a history like that I wouldn't take him before the fifth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm extremely concerned about his off-field personality. I can't think of any QB, especially so young, that's been able to juggle football and such large business interests. Although anecdotal and very possibluy erroneos, it does seem that RG3's rookie season (and subsequent focus on other interests) distracted from his preparation this year, if Shanahan is to be believed.

A couple things about RGIII:- DC a totally different town than TB, and the relationship between fan, team, and media is unusual for any NFL town. I lived next door to DC for 14 years, and have spent another 8 in the Skins media market. The hero worship there is off the charts. Media regularly say things like "I wouldn't trade Skip Hicks for anything less than a first rounder -- a high first rounder." (that's an actual quote from a preseason game a few years ago). Dissenting voices are typically drowned out, and it's rare to hear an "honest" take on the local team. There's not a lot of cynicism - it's pretty much 100% optimism. - Snyder is a very different guy than the Glazers - his favorites have a direct line to him that bypasses the coach and GM. - People forget this, but a big reason there was no growth for RGIII is that he missed the entire off-season and really wasn't ready for the regular season. I really think the "distraction" part was overblown - it was simply a lack of reps.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its almost assured that we'll miss on Clowney, Mack, & Watkins (especially Clowney).

but on the bright side....we won some meaningless games

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have absolutely NO idea...

All true my friend – but the fact is there are a ton of talent and the bucs would have to really reach to disappoint.  Having experienced the past 4 years live, it would be a challenge to the bucs to disappoint… And that is the issue.  Lovie and Licht are the first professional guys to arrive at OBP… since Gruden.  And given the recent level of the bar they will satisfy for a few years at a minimum.And Hate - one of our infrequent agreements.  If the team isn't going to compete why in the hell win games... like a winning kick into one's own teeth...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All true my friend - but the fact is there are a ton of talent and the bucs would have to really reach to disappoint.  Having experienced the past 4 years live, it would be a challenge to the bucs to disappoint... And that is the issue.  Lovie and Licht are the first professional guys to arrive at OBP... since Gruden.  And given the recent level of the bar they will satisfy for a few years at a minimum.And Hate - one of our infrequent agreements.  If the team isn't going to compete why in the hell win games... like a winning kick into one's own teeth...

I AM optimistic we'll end up drafting players we'll be proud of. Whether we trade down or stay at seven, we're probably going to get at least three players who will immediately improve this team in the first two days. I know we're going to get some help at WO.As for winning "meaningless" games....... NFL games are not "meaningless" to the players, coaches and fans on game day in the regular season. they matter and not playing to win is a disgrace I want no part of.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All true my friend - but the fact is there are a ton of talent and the bucs would have to really reach to disappoint.  Having experienced the past 4 years live, it would be a challenge to the bucs to disappoint... And that is the issue.  Lovie and Licht are the first professional guys to arrive at OBP... since Gruden.  And given the recent level of the bar they will satisfy for a few years at a minimum.And Hate - one of our infrequent agreements.  If the team isn't going to compete why in the hell win games... like a winning kick into one's own teeth...

I AM optimistic we'll end up drafting players we'll be proud of. Whether we trade down or stay at seven, we're probably going to get at least three players who will immediately improve this team in the first two days. I know we're going to get some help at WO.As for winning "meaningless" games....... NFL games are not "meaningless" to the players, coaches and fans on game day in the regular season. they matter and not playing to win is a disgrace I want no part of.

Also think many overlook, the effect of those lost games, to other teams. Garv, I'm with you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Easley's unreal, but those knees do scare me. His hands look so strong when you watch him. I feel like half the clips involve 2 guys trying to tackle him down. Incredible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Easley's unreal, but those knees do scare me. His hands look so strong when you watch him. I feel like half the clips involve 2 guys trying to tackle him down. Incredible.

I agree his knees are an issue to be wary of, but if he's healthy, he's a first round talent that could be had in the third round or later. IMHO, it's worth the gamble at the end of the drafts 2nd day or beginning of the 3rd if we somehow come out with a 4th round pick or he falls to us in the 5th. Easley and McCoy would be a scary good combo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Any player that helps the team get back to winning. Now whether that is in the short term or long term I really dont care. Like the rest of us fans I too have my favorites. Below is a list of my favorite players in this draft...No real order just grouped by position. QB Teddy BridgewaterQB Jimmy GaroppoloQB Connor ShawQB Garrett GilbertTE Jace AmaroTE Crockett GillmoreTE Ted BolserWR Sammy WatkinsWR Donte MoncriefWR Josh HuffWR Cody HoffmanWR John BrownWR Albert WilsonG/T Zack MartinT Cameron FlemingG/T Bryce QuigleyG/T Austin WentworthG/T Joel BitonioG Dakota DozierC Tyler LarsenDE Scott CrichtonDE Jackson JeffcoatDE Larry WebsterDE Terrence FedeLB Yawin SmallwoodLB Lamin BarrowLB Avery WilliamsonLB Khalil MackLB Kyle Van NoyLB Carl BradfordLB Christian KirkseyCB Jason VerrettCB Lamarcus JoynerCB E.J. GainesCB Ross **CENSORED**rellCB Pierre Desir

Yucc, I was wondering why you have not added Aaron Donald to your list?  Is it because with McCoy, McDonald, and Spence on the roster, you feel greater needs warrant a different selection at #7, or is it that there's something in Donald's game that you don't like? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also think many overlook, the effect of those lost games, to other teams. Garv, I'm with you.

We have had this discussion before.  I'm with Garv and Unc; I want to win games.....not draft picks.  There are teams who seem to ALWAYS have top picks and they never seem to get  any better.  I could NEVER root for the Bucs to lose a game!!  As a former coach who was one of my favorite guys said, " you play to win the GAME"!  As far as I'm concerned, that's IT in a nutshell.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We have had this discussion before.  I'm with Garv and Unc; I want to win games.....not draft picks.  There are teams who seem to ALWAYS have top picks and they never seem to get  any better.  I could NEVER root for the Bucs to lose a game!!  As a former coach who was one of my favorite guys said, " you play to win the GAME"!  As far as I'm concerned, that's IT in a nutshell.

+1and I think you would be hard pressed to find professional player that wants to intentionally throw a game or games for some uncertain pick. Most got to where they did by winning, certainly by competing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1and I think you would be hard pressed to find professional player that wants to intentionally throw a game or games for some uncertain pick. Most got to where they did by winning, certainly by competing.

Well of course the players want to win.  For their sake mainly because a top 5 pick could be anyone that could replace them....I created a thread a few months ago on this very topic.  My opinion is that while tough to cheer for losses in the moment, I'd be lying if I didn't now see our draft position and wish we would've had 1 or 2 more losses.  Watkins, Mack or Clowney will do a lot more towards creating wins next season and the season after that than a Monday night win against the Dolphins.  Ultimately, I don't think there is any right or wrong way to think about this as it doesn't make you any more or less of a fan and each has their own feelings on this.  Just the pure fact you are thinking about it at all in April is fandom enough....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bortles or Watkins.  Since that has a slim chance of happening,  Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its almost assured that we'll miss on Clowney, Mack, & Watkins (especially Clowney).

but on the bright side....we won some meaningless games

there will be some probowlers available at 7.  probably even better players than the 3 you mentioned.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I mentioned earlier that I like Johnny Football….mainly for the fun factor.In reality, Lovie should choose Aaron Donald.  I'd say Donald over anyone else, except maybe Mack.    Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, or Jake Matthews are needed much less if your defense keeps giving you the ball back at mid-field.  It should be Aaron Donald.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I mentioned earlier that I like Johnny Football....mainly for the fun factor.In reality, Lovie should choose Aaron Donald.  I'd say Donald over anyone else, except maybe Mack.    Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, or Jake Matthews are needed much less if your defense keeps giving you the ball back at mid-field.  It should be Aaron Donald.

I agree, I like Donald.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never once have i suggested the players throw the game. What i do believe is once the season is over(no playoffs), the wins mean nothing. All it does is leave us hoping for teams above us to pass on players that we covet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never once have i suggested the players throw the game. What i do believe is once the season is over(no playoffs), the wins mean nothing. All it does is leave us hoping for teams above us to pass on players that we covet.

I don’t recall anyone that has suggested a game be thrown.  If I gave such an impression it was not intended as such.  That said, for years the player the bucs needed/wanted has been a pick or two away.  And winning a 4th game in a season to get that recompense has been frustration.  Suh, (and I like McCoy), Megatron, Joe Thomas…. hard to take because of that 4th win…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That said, for years the player the bucs needed/wanted has been a pick or two away.  And winning a 4th game in a season to get that recompense has been frustration.  Suh, (and I like McCoy), Megatron, Joe Thomas.... hard to take because of that 4th win...

we didn’t we want  AP or pat Willis that year?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That said, for years the player the bucs needed/wanted has been a pick or two away.  And winning a 4th game in a season to get that recompense has been frustration.  Suh, (and I like McCoy), Megatron, Joe Thomas.... hard to take because of that 4th win...

we didn't we want  AP or pat Willis that year?

I think the general consensus was that, had the Bucs picked one pick earlier, they would have selected Joe Thomas.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the most interesting part of this draft is how deep it is in potential NFL quality players yet the (2) that are considered the best of the bunch both have very real questions about them… Manziel and Clowney.  Clowney may have all the combine numbers but I think he is only interested in that Big paycheck before he turns into a headache for the team that drafts him as even a hang nail will keep him off the field.  I see him no better than a 3rd down specialist.I like Manziel and I think he is going to be a star.  180 degree different than what I thought of him going into last season.The other fascinating part of the draft is the rating system each year and how NFL teams all seem to match the projections on where the top 100 will go ( first 3 rounds).That 3 to 4 years later 50% of those 1-3 rounders turn out to be busts is rather damning on the overall talent evaluation of teams in the NFL.I do believe that order of importance should be: 1. "character" 2 college performance/competition 3. Physical numbers/ injuries, and last 4. combine performance ( continually is over emphasized IMHO)Finally It will be interesting to see how many of the 98 underclassmen end up being really disappointed at where they are picked.Oh and players I would be real happy with the 7th pick Manziel( unlikely) Watson(unlikely)  Evans,  Mack, maybe even Lee....  No to Clowney...( won't be there anyway)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d be pumped with Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Robinson and the top two QBs, Bridgewater or Carr in the first. I could definitely get on board with Evans and, to a lesser extent, Bortles and Matthews as well.Full disclosure: a couple minutes after every pick, I'll be convinced whoever they take is a future HOF'er.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the most interesting part of this draft is how deep it is in potential NFL quality players yet the (2) that are considered the best of the bunch both have very real questions about them... Manziel and Clowney.  Clowney may have all the combine numbers but I think he is only interested in that Big paycheck before he turns into a headache for the team that drafts him as even a hang nail will keep him off the field.  I see him no better than a 3rd down specialist.I like Manziel and I think he is going to be a star.  180 degree different than what I thought of him going into last season.The other fascinating part of the draft is the rating system each year and how NFL teams all seem to match the projections on where the top 100 will go ( first 3 rounds).That 3 to 4 years later 50% of those 1-3 rounders turn out to be busts is rather damning on the overall talent evaluation of teams in the NFL.I do believe that order of importance should be: 1. "character" 2 college performance/competition 3. Physical numbers/ injuries, and last 4. combine performance ( continually is over emphasized IMHO)Finally It will be interesting to see how many of the 98 underclassmen end up being really disappointed at where they are picked.Oh and players I would be real happy with the 7th pick Manziel( unlikely) Watson(unlikely)  Evans,  Mack, maybe even Lee....  No to Clowney...( won't be there anyway)

Solid post! I would however add "HEART" as it seems the players who ultimately turn out to be good are the ones with the most heart = internal desire to want to prove doubters wrong and end up working harder and elevating their game beyond expected levels.But the following is a good summarization of what one would think talent evaluators should be looking at when watching film of prospects...I still think many are over enamored with raw numbers and what this prospects are doing in the Underwear Olympics.

Heart - What the player shows on film in the 4th quarter of a winning and losing game situation. Does the player have the character to win and lose with sportsmanship?Execution – How well the player executes the game plan and the specific responsibilities of his position. Does a player (based on execution) make impact plays during the course of a game?Avidity – Does the player on film take downs off? Does the player have stamina in the 4th quarter? Does a player (based on effort) make impact plays during the course of a game and in the 4th quarter?Talent - Does the player show on film the speed, strength, balance and awareness needed to be a success at the next level? Do his skills improve from year to year? How does his production/stats relate to his talent? Does the player (based on talent) make impact plays during the course of a game?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My updated hopeful’s are as Skip mentioned in another thread. Watkins/Evans in round one and Murray/Garoppolo in rounds 2 or 3. I think the Bucs will go offense and based on that we get a needed WO and a QB to work with.This is going to be a VERY interesting draft and I can't wait to see what happens. Certainly if things don't go my way there are plenty of other top college players to be had that can help us in the early and even later rounds.

Please wait…

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.