Viewing 24 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Who can the Bucs use as trade bait?By Hunter RobinsonJune 16, 2014 10:53 pmdoug_zps82677b24.jpg    In the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers drafted Charles Sims out of West Virginia University. With this pick, the Buccaneers brought their total number of running backs to six.A lot of people have voiced their thoughts, saying that the Sims’ pick was a confusing one. Many wondered why Tampa took another running back, after they already possessed three who proved themselves in the 2013 season.This raises the question, is one of the running backs on the Bucs roster on his way out of Tampa? Clearly Doug Martin is not who will be used as trade bait, so who could it be? Bobby Rainey or Mike James? After Martin went down with a season-ending injury in 2013, both James and Rainey stepped up for the Bucs. Rainey played in nine games and amassed 532 yards on 137 carries with five touchdowns. Rainey had a 80 yard touchdown run in 2013, a franchise record, and had three touchdowns on 163 rushing yards against the Atlanta Falcons. He was an impressive replacement for the injured Martin and helped the Bucs in their four wins. James did not rack up as many rushing yards as Rainey did in 2013, but his 4.9 average yards per carry was higher than Rainey’s 3.8. James also had 43 receiving yards on ten catches where as Rainey only had 27 receiving yards on 11 catches. Plus both players have only been with the Bucs for a short period of time. The Bucs drafted James in the 2013 NFL Draft, and Rainey was picked up off of waivers in 2013 after Martin was injured. So which one could possibly be traded in 2014? Newly drafted Sims is believed to be the one who will catch a majority of the passes out of the backfield. So that means James could see a significant drop in playing time. Plus due to the fact that Rainey out performed James in 2013, it could mean James is the odd man out.However, James was drafted by the organization only a year ago, and Rainey was only picked up because Martin suffered an injury. Rainey also has a (slightly) higher trade value, which could help the Bucs land a better player.If I had to pick one that would be traded, it would be James due to the fact that Rainey has been more productive while in Tampa. However, the Bucs really don’t need to get rid of either back but if they wanted to deal one of them to another team, it should be James. I believe that the only reason the Bucs would need to trade either player is if a player goes down with injury and they need a replacement, or if another team becomes desperate due to injury and they offer a trade that the Bucs cannot pass up. Barring those two situations, I don’t see either player being traded in 2014. link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

James is the better back imo. Rainey is decent but I’d trade him over James. James gives a different dimension to our running game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Beauty is in the eyes of the buyer… I would LISTEN to any offer, but would not actively market any of them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nice problem to have but James would be the one to offer IMHO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon and martin, jmo.We have some good rbs right behind hamster to replace him, and rbs have crap for shelf life. If we could get something "top notch" (high pick, valued vet on a position of need), it would have to be considered.And glennon may be worth keeping around, for backup duties, or possibly future starter. However, if someone came around and offered a high pick or high level player of need. Cya glenn.But, as ndy says, listen...not be active in perusing possible suitors.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whatever they do, this can’t happen…http://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-995.aspx

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rainey, Bowers, Glennon, possibly Clayborn if the trade value was there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If only we could get Nicks out on the field for the pre-season to showcase him for trade bait. Unload that worthless player on someone else!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The last few years have shown that the NFL is moving away from stressing any importance to the run game.  For that reason, plus the durability issue, only elite RB’s have any real value.  Because the Browns stink and Richardson was young, the Browns were able to get a 1st Rd pick for him.  If Martin didn’t get hurt last year, they probably could have gotten the same (and most likely more), for him.  As of right now, I’m guessing the only thing the Bucs could get for Martin is a conditional 3rd that could work it’s way to a 1st.  They however wouldn’t get any player of substance in return.Yes, the Bucs have 6 RB's on their roster, but with the paucity of legit NFL WR's on this roster after Jackson and Evans, they can easily carry an extra RB to be a returner (i.e., Demps).  They could also keep another RB for that very reason as well.  I can see them carrying 5 RB's and 4 WR's (other than Jackson, Evans, and Murphy -  I have a hard time picking any other WR I'd even consider making the team), and lining up guys like Martin and Sims out wide in 3 and 4 WR sets, while putting another RB in the backfield.  Brendan Bigelow is a 'dime-a-dozen' back and really has no trade value.In all, Martin is the only back with real trade value that could land a 4th round pick or better.  None of the other guys showed enough to warrant anything better than a 5th or 6th round pick.  At that point, they're probably all worth more on the team than off.  If they could get a 1st for Martin (and I don't think they could - unless it's a conditional pick), I'd trade him now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The New York Post’s Bart Hubbuch “keep(s) hearing” Ray Rice’s suspension could span 4-6 games in connection with his offseason assault charge, or “maybe even more.”Hubbuch is hearing the discipline will be "significant." The NFL has received negative press for strict suspensions levied against pot smokers, while crimes viewed as more sinister like assaulting women get lesser discipline. Commissioner Roger Goodell could use Rice as an example to show the NFL will take hitting women more seriously. A 4-6 game suspension would swing the door wide open for Bernard Pierce, or Justin Forsett, or Lorenzo Taliaffero to run with the feature back job in new OC Gary Kubiak's running back-friendly offense.

I'd ask Baltimore what they thought of Rainey when he was there...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whatever they do, this can't happen...http://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-995.aspx

That's excellent.  It just goes to show you that when the opposition knows what is coming you have no chance at success.  Unless you have Emmitt's Oline from the early 90's, then it really doesn't matter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The New York Post's Bart Hubbuch "keep(s) hearing" Ray Rice's suspension could span 4-6 games in connection with his offseason assault charge, or "maybe even more."Hubbuch is hearing the discipline will be "significant." The NFL has received negative press for strict suspensions levied against pot smokers, while crimes viewed as more sinister like assaulting women get lesser discipline. Commissioner Roger Goodell could use Rice as an example to show the NFL will take hitting women more seriously. A 4-6 game suspension would swing the door wide open for Bernard Pierce, or Justin Forsett, or Lorenzo Taliaffero to run with the feature back job in new OC Gary Kubiak's running back-friendly offense.

I'd ask Baltimore what they thought of Rainey when he was there...

Ray Rice is a non-factor in their O anyway.  They will be moving on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin,Glennon,wright.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If only we could get Nicks out on the field for the pre-season to showcase him for trade bait. Unload that worthless player on someone else!

No one would trade for mrsatoe. Before, or after.As a coach or gm, would you take that chance? It's not quite as communicable as the flu, but it can spread.We're his last payday. Partly because of that, but also because where his loyalties lay. Would you sign/trade for a player who won't tell you secrets of divisional rivals after spending millions on him, AND could possibly infect your locker room with mrsa toe?I guess it could be blamed on the bucs, dismissed, and he gets lucky, but I'm of the belief he is done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Clearly Doug Martin is not who will be used as trade bait”That's right...Lovie would never shop one of the guys he drafted...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one would trade for mrsatoe. Before, or after.As a coach or gm, would you take that chance? It's not quite as communicable as the flu, but it can spread.We're his last payday. Partly because of that, but also because where his loyalties lay. Would you sign/trade for a player who won't tell you secrets of divisional rivals after spending millions on him, AND could possibly infect your locker room with mrsa toe?I guess it could be blamed on the bucs, dismissed, and he gets lucky, but I'm of the belief he is done.

All Nicks would have to do is get out of Tampa and he would be nails.  Sadly, there is  a lot of proof of that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rainey, Bowers, Glennon, possibly Clayborn if the trade value was there.

I'd be interested to see what the offers would be on these guys.

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

I don’t think we have any positions of depth that hold value for trades.  If I absolutely HAD TO choose someone, I would pick Michael Johnson. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not for me, i'm offering Rainey

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon, Wright, James…  would have to be a sweet deal though – they all have a good future in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clayborn, Martin, Stocker.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would have no problem trading Martin for a high draft pick or an experienced worthwhile guard, with all the other RB’s we have 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not for me, i'm offering Rainey

How about James and a bag of chips?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The trouble is, RB’s are a dime a dozen in todays NFL.  Who is going to give up ANYTHING for our backup RB’s?  Its just the way the league is right now.  Skittles is holding out with 10mil due in the next 2 years. That is lunacy. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Seahawks tell him C/ya.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Supply and demand rule, and they always have been and always will be moving targets. More and more teams are getting away from the bell-cow concept…

Please wait…

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.