Viewing 77 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Richard Sherman: Why did Eagles keep Cooper, cut DeSean Jackson?By John Breech | CBSSports.comApril 2, 2014      2:57 pm ETcooper_zps3bae1376.jpgRichard Sherman wonders why the Eagles kept one of these receivers, but not the other. (USATSI) The Eagles haven't made it entirely clear why they cut DeSean Jackson -- or clear at all.It could have been because of Jackson's reported gang-ties. It could've been because of his attitude. It also could have been a money-related move. After all, Jackson did have three years left on a contract that was going to pay him over $10 million in 2014. However, because the Eagles aren't talking, we don't know if it was one of those reasons, some of those reasons or all of those reasons. If the reason was gang-ties though, then Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman has a few questions about what he believes to be a double-standard: The Eagles dumped Jackson, but kept Riley Cooper, who was caught on film using a racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert last summer.Sherman, who grew with Jackson just outside of Los Angeles and played Little League baseball with the wide receiver, wrote about this issue for MMQB.com. The Seattle Seahawks get it. The Philadelphia Eagles apparently do not.This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, "I will fight every n—– here." He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he's not a racist, at least has "ties" to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the N-word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.Cooper signed five-year, $25 million extension with the Eagles in February. A signing that came just six months after the video of Cooper using the racial slur was released.Sherman also wants to know why others get off so easy, like Colts owner Jim Irsay, who was arrested for DUI on March 17. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had "ties" to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.Basically, Sherman is asking everyone not to judge Jackson just because he grew up in a rough neighborhood outside of Los Angeles. Sherman says neither he nor Jackson are looking to 'run from where we grew up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jackson has multiple ties to murderers, yet a white guy saying the N word is equal in Shermans mind?    Racism clearly still exists in our world, but people who play the race card when it doesnt fit show their own prejudices sometimes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thats-Racist.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ah yes, the ol’ “ties to racist activity” angle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe they wanted to face him twice a year? Lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am pretty sure that with 70% of the guys in the NFL, if they looked hard enough they would find some ties to unsavory characters.  Not that hard to find some unsavory connections to anyone if you look hard enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

People trying hard to make this a story. It’s all about the money. Not “ties to a gang”. DeSean might be a dummy but he owns a hip-hop record label so of course he is going to have “ties”. And Cooper is an a-hole but he is cheaper simple as that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe cause one makes $5M/yr and the other made $12M/yr. It’s about the green, not black or white.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We don’t know the full story yet. If he is involved in gang activites, the release is justified. If he simply has friends from childhood that are in gangs, or look like they are, but he has done no wrong doing then it’s not justified. Again, i'll reserve my opinion until we get all the facts.Mike Williams has gotten the same treatment here. He's hanging out with his rap crew and get labeled as a thug. Josh Freeman reportedly has drug or substance abuse issues and he just needs help.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Jackson was so concerned about racism that he lost respect for Cooper over a drunken slur… why did Jackson sign with the Redskins?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His racism concerns have a very narrow scope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One of the most high profile NFL players went to prison for alleged murder last year. Maybe this just classic over reaction.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What if DJax’s ties to gangs is trying to help young boys get out of gangs and the Iggles just blew his cover? Oh dayum lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was sure Cooper’s career was over last year. The concerns with Jackson obviously weren’t enough to prevent a bunch of teams to inquire about him.I think the lesson is that a racist cheap WR that practices hard and doesn't have an attitude problem with coaches > an expensive WR with possible gang ties that doesn't practice hard and gives the coaches a hard time......which can be simplified even further to...Cheap WR with good work ethic > expensive WR without good work ethic......and further...Cheap WR > expensive WR.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was sure Cooper's career was over last year. The concerns with Jackson obviously weren't enough to prevent a bunch of teams to inquire about him.I think the lesson is that a racist cheap WR that practices hard and doesn't have an attitude problem with coaches > an expensive WR with possible gang ties that doesn't practice hard and gives the coaches a hard time......which can be simplified even further to...Cheap WR with good work ethic > expensive WR without good work ethic......and further...Cheap WR > expensive WR.

Can we stop calling Cooper a racist? I highly doubt he believes whites are superior to blacks by basis of birth. Only way we'd know is by reading his mind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was drunk and angry and probably just trying to get a reaction out of the black security guard.  It was stupid and made him bad but was overblown. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys can certainly call him or not call him what you want, but I don’t believe a person would do that that isn’t a racist, so I’ll likely keep calling him a racist.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IF Jackson has gang ties, then he could be linked to activity which is illegal, and has the potential to go to jail. ie, Hernandez.Cooper did drop the N bomb, and though not a popular move, spouting out racial slurs is NOT illegal.Another angle - the coach just thinks they don't need Jackson to succeed and has grown tired of dealing with him for whatever reason.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

I was sure Cooper's career was over last year. The concerns with Jackson obviously weren't enough to prevent a bunch of teams to inquire about him.I think the lesson is that a racist cheap WR that practices hard and doesn't have an attitude problem with coaches > an expensive WR with possible gang ties that doesn't practice hard and gives the coaches a hard time......which can be simplified even further to...Cheap WR with good work ethic > expensive WR without good work ethic......and further...Cheap WR > expensive WR.

Can we stop calling Cooper a racist? I highly doubt he believes whites are superior to blacks by basis of birth. Only way we'd know is by reading his mind.

+1 It's ridiculous people consider him a racist because of the one incident. I am not going to deny what he said was stupid but I hear plenty of people around his age use the "N" word not trying to be racist but because they are dumb and disrespectful. The word is thrown around all the time unfortunately and he just happened to be on tape saying it.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

Sorry but when you try to pull the race card on things like this it makes you lose all credibility. The Jackson move was a clash between the HC and player, and the player being late for meetings, being paid too much, etc. The gang thing, IMO, had nothing to do with it. Riley Cooper said something stupid at a concert. You can’t compare the two, not even close.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They’re racists. Not gangsters. Duh…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Jackson was so concerned about racism that he lost respect for Cooper over a drunken slur... why did Jackson sign with the Redskins?

...made me laugh, thanks!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The media is all about shock value. Jackson release had a lot to do with money if not everything. This year happened to be loaded in wr talent making it the perfect time to get rid of a admitted me player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys can certainly call him or not call him what you want, but I don't believe a person would do that that isn't a racist, so I'll likely keep calling him a racist.

I called a girl a word that rhymes with bunt, am I suddenly a sexist?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have no idea if you’re a sexist or not. I don’t know the context in which you said it.Riley Cooper threatened to fight every n-word there. There's no non-racist way that happens, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have no idea if you're a sexist or not. I don't know the context in which you said it.Riley Cooper threatened to fight every n-word there. There's no non-racist way that happens, IMO.

See, what you fail to get is that racism is the belief that one race is superior to all others. Cooper was being a d-bag. We've all been d-bags before. ESPECIALLY while intoxicated.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sherman is an idiot so I’m not surprised by what he said at all. I would also be willing to be the majority of people on this board have probably used the n word in some derogatory way similar to how Cooper used it and I would be willing to say not everybody who has used it that way is racist.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

See, what you fail to get is that racism is the belief that one race is superior to all others. Cooper was being a d-bag. We've all been d-bags before. ESPECIALLY while intoxicated.

Not that I agree with your premise, but...

Only way we'd know is by reading his mind.

Maybe he does think his race is superior to all others!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the use of that word in that context creates the presumption that he is a racist, so the question is really what proof exist that he is not?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

5414660_8716bf615a.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sherman is an idiot so I'm not surprised by what he said at all. I would also be willing to be the majority of people on this board have probably used the n word in some derogatory way similar to how Cooper used it and I would be willing to say not everybody who has used it that way is racist.

I honestly never have. Mostly because when I was in grade school, everyone said if you said n-word then ALL the black kids at school would jump you. Turns out that was about as true as all asians take their shoes off at their front door and none of my black friends care because getting offended is for babies... I honestly saw insults directed towards someone's mother turn into fights, but never n-word usage back in high school.Interesting recent anecdote... My girl made a rape joke last week and this gal we hardly knew chewed her out about how offensive that is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doubt it. Being surrounded by black athletes that were better and worse than him at football for years? Meeting blacks that were smarter AND less intelligent than him? Bollocks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doubt it. Being surrounded by black athletes that were better and worse than him at football for years? Meeting blacks that were smarter AND less intelligent than him? Bollocks.

*insert angry rant about the usage of British slang*

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

*insert angry rant about the usage of British slang*

I just had the mental image of a zealous redneck, that can't differentiate between there and their, telling me to speak American or to get outta his country lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know or care whether you’re a racist or not. I don’t think typing the word makes you one, but it also doesn’t not make you one. My opinion is that someone that gets angry and yells that he’ll fight every n-word around him is a racist.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know or care whether you're a racist or not. I don't think typing the word makes you one, but it also doesn't not make you one. My opinion is that someone that gets angry and yells that he'll fight every n-word around him is a racist.

Then you've yet to learn the meaning of the word racist. If you're white or black, take a trip to Japan for a week. Learn what real racism feels like. Not the media's jumpy definition of "You tried to give a black guy watermelon candy!? THATS RACIST! You told a white boy he can't dance?! RACIST!"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know or care whether you're a racist or not. I don't think typing the word makes you one, but it also doesn't not make you one. My opinion is that someone that gets angry and yells that he'll fight every n-word around him is a racist.

Agree. You generally do and say things when you are drunk that reflect what you are thinking and feeling, but wouldn't usually say out loud. For example, you might get really drunk and try to sleep with your wifes' girlfriend because you have always found her attractive, but you aren't going to get drunk and suddenly go sleep with a dude....unless you are secretly gay. You don't scream out that you will "fight every ni**** in here" if you don't secretly have some animosity towards black folks. Now if you get drunk enough, that goes out the window. You could wake up naked with a goat if your pass a certain point....but this was at a concert and I do not think he was that belligerent. Most likely he was just inebriated enough to feel comfortable enough at a country concert full of white rednecks....to express how he really feels. He got caught and backtracked....but come on. It's pretty clear he has some issues.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then you've yet to learn the meaning of the word racist. If you're white or black, take a trip to Japan for a week. Learn what real racism feels like. Not the media's jumpy definition of "You tried to give a black guy watermelon candy!? THATS RACIST! You told a white boy he can't dance?! RACIST!"

What do you mean? When I went to Japan they love me long time!  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree. You generally do and say things when you are drunk that reflect what you are thinking and feeling, but wouldn't usually say out loud. For example, you might get really drunk and try to sleep with your wifes' girlfriend because you have always found her attractive, but you aren't going to get drunk and suddenly go sleep with a dude....unless you are secretly gay. You don't scream out that you will "fight every ni**** in here" if you don't secretly have some animosity towards black folks. Now if you get drunk enough, that goes out the window. You could wake up naked with a goat if your pass a certain point....but this was at a concert and I do not think he was that belligerent. Most likely he was just inebriated enough to feel comfortable enough at a country concert full of white rednecks....to express how he really feels. He got caught and backtracked....but come on. It's pretty clear he has some issues.

Alcohol makes me tolerate some really obnoxious people and want to hug EVERYONE. I also seem to get really susceptible to dares of performing Jackass-esque stunts.That is definitely not the real me. My best friend who is very gregarious and a people person turns into a total introvert and calms down as if he took tylenol pm.There is SOME truth to what you say about alcohol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the use of that word in that context creates the presumption that he is a racist, so the question is really what proof exist that he is not?

N!gger. There I said (typed) it. Presume I'm racist all you want. It won't make it true.

never even said it was true about Riley, just that he bears the burden . . I don't frankly care if he is a racist or if you are a racist, I was just framing the debate accurately  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve said the word countless times while singing along to rap songs. I guess I hate black people. I had no idea.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've said the word countless times while singing along to rap songs. I guess I hate black people. I had no idea.

is it "context" or "presumption"?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I presume to contextually hate black people. Except Hate because then that would just be hypocritical.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

java hook you up with some ladyboys? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I lol'd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I lol'd

Damn you Java!!! HE WAS JUST A BOY!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not sure why you guys don’t see the difference between singing a lyric to a song or “offering watermelon candy” to angrily yelling out that you’re going to fight every n-word there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure why you guys don't see the difference between singing a lyric to a song or "offering watermelon candy" to angrily yelling out that you're going to fight every n-word there.

One's silly, the next is innocent and the last one is d-baggy. But crying racism on those 3 things dilutes what actual racism is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you were trying to start a fight with someone you don’t know because they were, in your mind being a donkey towards you, wouldn’t you say something that would most likely provoke them?  If the guard would have been an overweight white guy he might have called him a fatass for example. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wanting to fight a bunch of people solely because of the color of their skin is what a racist does, not what someone who is a drunk douchebag does.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wanting to fight a bunch of people solely because of the color of their skin is what a racist does, not what someone who is a drunk **CENSORED**bag does.

he wanted to fight them because they wouldn’t let him backstage or something to that extent not because they were black.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you were trying to start a fight with someone you don't know because they were, in your mind being a donkey towards you, wouldn't you say something that would most likely provoke them?  If the guard would have been an overweight white guy he might have called him a fatass for example.

Some on this board would have you believe uttering "fatass" means you hate fat people and believe them to be inferior.But it's true. One of the easiest ways to get someone else to swing first is figuring out what insult stings the most.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wanting to fight a bunch of people solely because of the color of their skin is what a racist does, not what someone who is a drunk **CENSORED**bag does.

Cooper wasn't getting his way. If they were white he'd have picked another insult. What if they were bald? Call em skinheads. What if they were really muscular? Call them roid-heads. Getting under people's skin is an art that d-bags like Cooper are skillful at.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I definitely think Cooper is more a d-bag than an actual racist. He said something really stupid while drunk because he was throwing a hissy fit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL good one

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree to disagree, then. I think Racist Riley Cooper is a racist, you all think Racist Riley isn’t one.  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree to disagree, then. I think Racist Riley Cooper is a racist, you all think Racist Riley isn't one.  :)

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree to disagree, then. I think Racist Riley Cooper is a racist, you all think Racist Riley isn't one.  :)

No matter how often you proclaim the sky to be red and full of zebras, it shan't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No matter how often you proclaim the sky to be red and full of zebras, it shan't.

Really? Well I guess my Friday nights are suddenly open again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sherman is an idiot so I'm not surprised by what he said at all. I would also be willing to be the majority of people on this board have probably used the n word in some derogatory way similar to how Cooper used it and I would be willing to say not everybody who has used it that way is racist.

Since we're all discussing a word here, you do realize Sherman had a 4.2 gpa and went to STANFORD right?  Pretty sure that makes him the opposite of idiot.And what he is getting at here is actually pretty interesting.  Riley Cooper, whether racist or not (I believe he is) was offered help and counseling.  DeSean Jackson, for having gang ties, wasn't offered help on getting out of a gang, he was cut.  Obviously it was because of $$ and attitude, and I think that's sort of the point trying to be made - Ultimately everything is down to money, so why not just admit that instead of trying walk all over the guy's reputation to justify your decision?  Because you might be afraid he'll prove you wrong one day and you have to find another motive as another reason to avoid the backlash if he does?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really? Well I guess my Friday nights are suddenly open again.

Lmao. You're on a roll today!! I love it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Jackson was so concerned about racism that he lost respect for Cooper over a drunken slur... why did Jackson sign with the Redskins?

Boom !!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I assure you NO Black man in American needs to spend a week in Japan to know what real racism feels like.  I suspect any that have spent an hour around you probably are crystal clear.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

N!gger. There I said (typed) it. Presume I'm racist all you want. It won't make it true.

There I reported your offensive hate speech.  Presume I am overly sensitive playing some non-existent race card all you want.  It wont make it true

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure why you guys don't see the difference between singing a lyric to a song or "offering watermelon candy" to angrily yelling out that you're going to fight every n-word there.

Showing empathy for the people Cooper offended would require one to have an attitude unlike Coopers.  The fact is he got drunk and said what many here wish they had the courage be it liquor induced or God given to say without having to hide behind a keyboard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, any organization that parts ways with a talent like DeSean Jackson, doesn’t make an effort to help him and he signs with the enemy, is asking for the result they are about to receive.  In an offseason of dumb moves by different franchises, this is the dumbest.  Show me a team full of boy scouts in the NFL and I’ll show you a team that doesn’t have the grit to win. “Hey man, he’s got gang ties……” – Grow up!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone has their own beliefs and rules to life. For me, a person who is not African American heritage that uses the N word is a racist, ignorant, or both. People of non African American heritage that hear it being used and say nothing are either racists or cowards. And the African Americans that use the word are ignorant morons that are sh!tting on all the civil rights activists that came before them. They can hide behind the “we are owning it” nonsense, but it’s still just a display of ignorance. That's how I live. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I'm ok with that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's hard to rouse the mods from their slumber on this board , but this will probably do it. Way to go , Lord Beavis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Showing empathy for the people Cooper offended would require one to have an attitude unlike Coopers.  The fact is he got drunk and said what many here wish they had the courage be it liquor induced or God given to say without having to hide behind a keyboard.

do you really think most of us white folk here wish we could run around making racial slurs?  cause that’s kind of a racist view on your part. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone has their own beliefs and rules to life. For me, a person who is not African American heritage that uses the N word is a racist, ignorant, or both. People of non African American heritage that hear it being used and say nothing are either racists or cowards. And the African Americans that use the word are ignorant morons that are sh!tting on all the civil rights activists that came before them. They can hide behind the "we are owning it" nonsense, but it's still just a display of ignorance. That's how I live. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I'm ok with that.

i HATE these topics and generally refrain from discussing them in this setting but i felt compelled to type that i agree with this post 100%.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought saying n

ga was more common in the locker room, or on the field, than like bro, or dude, or chap, or aszshole. Seems like Sherman's bleatings are more racially motivated than Cooper's

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

do you really think most of us white folk here wish we could run around making racial slurs?  cause that's kind of a racist view on your part.

Short answer yes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s as absurd as those claiming Cooper isn’t a racist.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boom !!

Agreed, I think this was a completely under appreciated post...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boom !!

Even more poignant question, for those who deny they are racist why are you not outraged by what Cooper said or a professional sports team calling themselves Redskins?  It appears you wold like to abstain from speaking out against racism, deny you are racist and then condemn victims of racism who do speak out.  That my friends does not compute, somewhere you are not being honest with yourself.  Your silence speaks greater volumes than your denials.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boom !!

Even more poignant question, for those who deny they are racist why are you not outraged by what Cooper said or a professional sports team calling themselves Redskins?  It appears you wold like to abstain from speaking out against racism, deny you are racist and then condemn victims of racism who do speak out.  That my friends does not compute, somewhere you are not being honest with yourself.  Your silence speaks greater volumes than your denials.

Can we get back to the red skies and zebras?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

do you really think most of us white folk here wish we could run around making racial slurs?  cause that's kind of a racist view on your part.

Jesus the white guilt is strong. Were all human..

Please wait…

Viewing 77 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.