Why doesn't the media call Arians out?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    tog
    Participant

This is a serious question I’m curious about.

Arians has made a number of bad gameday decisions. The latest was him wasting a time out on challenging a play after being out of challenges. Then he offers some dumb, clearly untrue reason about this one time Marvin Lewis did it.

Then what I see are a bunch of puff pieces from people like SR and Gregg Auman explaining Arians decision without being critical.

Am I missing something or is the media completely in Arians pocket? Are local beat writers too captive to the team to actually ask serious and interesting questions?

P s. Didn’t a PR writer say they were going to ask Arians about who the best play caller was? Was that question even asked

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

They are not this aloof.

They are not this negligent.

They know the difference between “covering a team” and “being a mouthpiece for a regime.”

The only way the data fits reality is they are protecting their access and/or they are bedfellows with certain coaches/players that this regime protects.

As such, unfortunately, I don’t know where to put them but the “forfeiture of all credibility” bin.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Mr. Shankley
    Participant

“Am I missing something or is the media completely in Arians pocket? Are local beat writers too captive to the team to actually ask serious and interesting questions?”

I doubt they are in the pocket, although access is always important, but query whether the issues you raise would be interesting enough now (as opposed to later if/when hes fired) to run a story? I am not sure that day-to-day fans would care as much about that now as many here would because the people here are mostly hardcore and/or very knowledgeable.

fair point though and I could be wrong, but why pick a fight over that point now, if you’re the local reporter?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pennywise
    Participant

Local media plays paddy cake with ba,their job depends on it.

Yet it’s always the national media with the scoop,vern today being a example…then the local media tweets,I can confirm…lol

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

Maybe not in the newspaper, but he’s getting fired up online and social media.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pennywise
    Participant

Who is?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Biggs3535
    Participant

Why doesn’t the media call Arians out?

The simple answer is they are gutless.  Most on here knew Arians’ answer was b/s, yet these reporters didn’t?  I find that hard to believe.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

I’d say it’s swept under a rug because we won the game, had we lost, I think gloves come off. Access, Politics and the red tape of it may play a role as well, striking a balance of risk and reward of challenging the head coach in what was fortunately a winning effort.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe they’ve given Arians some leeway since he’s been a two-time Coy.   But my impression of Encina and Stroud is they’re fans.  Stroud had issues with some player who he criticized during the best days. Not sure where that went. He sounds giddy and happy on his podcasts after Bucs wins. Maybe Stroud will become more critical after the first 5-11 season.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

Honestly, I’m not even looking for being critical.

I’m just looking for accuracy and actual investigative journalism.

Right now it feels like the propaganda wing of The Buccaneers Party.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    FireLicht2020
    Participant

Greg Auman is fairly responsive on twitter. I asked him about Perriman and he chatted with me for a bit.

Wonder what he has to say…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

Greg Auman is fairly responsive on twitter. I asked him about Perriman and he chatted with me for a bit.

Wonder what he has to say…

What was his response as to why Perriman wasn’t cut to recoup a comp pick for his complete (and predictable) lack of production?

Apologetic to the regime?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Mr. Shankley
    Participant

“ Right now it feels like the propaganda wing of The Buccaneers Party”

Remember this when the HC is fired.

It’s a fair point but most covering the Bucs are reporters so they think of their jobs and politics, just like most other professions.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Right now it feels like the propaganda wing of The Buccaneers Party.

Small market team, small market media. I can see where being highly critical of the Bucs head coach early in his tenure would get you the cold shoulder, lack of access, etc.

Besides, that challenge flag is really inconsequential.   But they (Stroud/Encina/Auman) ought to do some draft-year follow-up stories on Licht. Particularly the 2016 where only Ryan Smith is left, and he’s on shaky grounds. Some applied heat to Licht is well-deserved. But Arians is still pretty early in his tenure and hasn’t done anything that warrants much uproar by the press.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Butters
    Participant

These ‘journalists’ whine when papers close and people lose their jobs but the reality most of them are imminently replaceable and add no real value.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.