Why doesn't the media call Arians out?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    tog
    Participant

Really interesting discussion.

Honestly, I’m not even looking for being critical.

I’m just looking for accuracy and actual investigative journalism.

Right now it feels like the propaganda wing of The Buccaneers Party.

This is exactly how I feel.

The point is not that the local media needs to be writing highly critical pieces every week. It’s that they’re writing puff pieces for the team and failing to think of and ask interesting questions.

There’s so much high quality football information out there now. Whether you want to learn about match quarters, 4th down decision making, team organizations, or just basic investigative journalism its out there.

I find I’m consuming less and less beat writers because the interesting, thoughtful and honest pieces are coming from non-beat writers. The quality is no longer there. Which is a shame, because I want to support and engage with local media.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

tog
    Participant

I’ll add too that I get far, far more from posters on this board than from local media.

That includes learning a lot more about football, the NFL and the team. Nobody is a great example, but far from the only poster.

The quality of a number of posters here, for free, is often better information than we’re getting from local media.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

That is exactly how I feel @tog .

1) I WANT to support local writers, periodicals et al. I’m not saying these things out of anything other than disappointment.

2) Engaging with other parties (posters on this board, elsewhere) is a far more satisfying, informative experience. That doesn’t bode well for professional (NFL or local) media.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    tog
    Participant

@nobody

You’ve got to get on twitter. The quality of the football discussion (especially on the analytics side) is pretty amazing. It’s my go to for football info.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BP1
    Participant

Here’s something to ponder. I wonder  how long a beat reporter would be able to hold onto their press credentials from the team once they started arguing with a head coach and calling him a liar?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Biggs3535
    Participant

Here’s something to ponder. I wonder how long a beat reporter would be able to hold onto their press credentials from the team once they started arguing with a head coach and calling him a liar?

There is a way to ask pertinent follow-up questions without flat-out calling Arians a liar.  He’s the HC, he can take some heat for screwing up. He might not like it, but a good reporter should ask those pointed questions.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BP1
    Participant

There is a way to ask pertinent follow-up questions without flat-out calling Arians a liar. He’s the HC, he can take some heat for screwing up. He might not like it, but a good reporter should ask those pointed questions.

Give an example of how you would have followed up with BA’s answer to why he threw the 3rd review flag without it sounding like you are calling him a liar?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Biggs3535
    Participant

BP, I typed out a long-ass post and this crappy message board ate it.  I’ll try to address you again tomorrow.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GoldsonAges
    Participant

To their credit the media did ask Arians about the challenge flag. He gave his answer and not sure what else could have been asked after that.

Arains said NBA coaches get ejected regularly to prove a point about the bad officiating and that was his intent. That was his answer like it or not. How do you follow up that answer? As a professional reporter I mean, not how would a rabid message board fan follow up.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GottaJaboo wrote:
    (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
    Update - UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

Butters
    Participant

@tog

Got a list of pertinent people to follow on Twitter?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BP1
    Participant

BP, I typed out a long-ass post and this crappy message board ate it. I’ll try to address you again tomorrow.

If you use the “quote” it will only let you quote one poster at a time. You have to delete the other prior quotes before submitting.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

if the Bucs were 6-3, instead of 3-6, I think many of you would be touting what he did as being progressive, ingenious…..but expectations of  Arians haven’t been met, I can see the mob already turning on him….such is the life of a Bucs fan once the honeymoon phase is overwith…..

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Mr. Shankley
    Participant

The frustration is understandable but most of the posts misunderstand the work of a beat writer. It’s certainly not to put a HC in his place for lying (at least not middle of first season).

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BuccaNOLEer
    Participant

He’s probably getting a pass because it’s his first year.  IMO, he shouldn’t.  He isn’t any better than Koetter at this point.   In fact, he’s worse in a lot of ways.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.