Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

How many highly productive seasons will it take to put Mike Evans in the NFL Hall of Fame?

His current resume puts him well on the path….

1) Playoffs. He has his Superbowl ring. One and counting. Will his lack of playoff stats hurt him? I think it could have, but the ring definitely was huge. Hopefully there is a couple more deep playoff runs in his future.

2) 1000 yard seasons. He has seven so far. If he gets to nine, he will join these WRs who had nine or more: Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, Tim Brown.

3) Receiving yards. Right now he’s only 94th on the all-time list with over 8000, but with about three more productive seasons he would be up in the 11000s range with the likes of Calvin Johnson, Rod Smith, Michael Irvin, and Antonio Brown.

4) Comparison to his draft class in yards. Evans 8,266. Landry 7028, Cooks 6880, Beckham 6830, Adams 6568, Robinson 5999.

5) Receiving Yards per Game. Evans is 7th all-time. Ahead of him are mostly active players, which is a reflection of how the rules changes have impacted receiving stats. Those are Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham, Deandre Hopkins. Not bad company to be in.

6) Receiving TDs. At 61, Evans has one fewer than Davante Adams. He has one more than Julio Jones, Deandre Hopkins and Greg Olsen. If he gets 9 or 10 TDs per year. That would put him at about 90, well into the top 20 ahead of Paul Warfield at 85 and Andre Reed at 87. Look, some WRs specialize in yards, others in TDs. Evans does both. He’s a deep threat AND a Red Zone target.

7) Consecutive 1000 yard seasons to begin career. Of course Evans already has that record and still going.

8) Character. It matters. At least it can put a damper on the HOF voters enthusiasm if it’s a problem. Evans passes that test with flying colors.

9) Career length. How many seasons does a typical HOFer have? Most HOF WRs have about 14 seasons or so, but they aren’t always highly productive seasons.

You do have to account for the fact that the game has changed to favor the passing game. And we will be moving to a 17 game season. Those will be factors that a HOF voter would take into account. The requirements statistics-wise are getting tougher and tougher for WRs, and that’s only fair.

IMO Evans needs perhaps 4 more highly productive seasons of over 1100 or 1200 yards to adjust for the 17 game schedule, and they don’t have to be consecutive. More playoff appearances would help. If he does that it will be very tough to keep this guy out of the HOF. That’s my opinion. What do you think?

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

2 more good seasons

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I think Evans is already a lock for HoF. But more productive seasons wouldn’t hurt.

Build the trenches!

• Detrimental

Participant

Needs at least 1-2 playoff runs where he has great games. Always felt like post season is where you make your maker.

3 more seasons + deep playoff run and he should be in there.

assuming his TD totals at 8-10 per yr

• JC5100

Participant

Yes but the HOF is weird and hard for WRs. Holt was a better player and has been eligible for 7 years.

• adkindo

Participant

He has a chance if he can avoid any major injuries and remains productive through his early 30’s. I am not sure if the reference above to him “being a lock” is satire, but Evans is currently nowhere near sniffing the HOF. If you look at Pro Football Reference, his current HOF Monitor score is 34.13 with the “average” HOF receiver having an HOFM score of 100. AB is currently at 98.7, and he was the best receiver in the NFL during his prime years.

PFRM Ratings

• m_j

Participant

17 games a seqson will certainly help him extend his streak …doesn‘t look bad at the moment

• buc-in-out

Participant

The bigger bodied receivers usually break down earlier then guys 6′ and under, so I don’t expect Mike to play elite football for another 8 years… but he’s still only 27 years old, which is crazy. He’s got AT LEAST another 4 years of high level football left in him, and I hope he retires a Buccaneer.

• FanofTB

Participant

17 games a seqson will certainly help him extend his streak …doesn‘t look bad at the moment

I’m really glad he broke that record with a 16 game schedule that way no one can be like “well yea but he had an extra game.” Would love for the streak to continue and have it locked up by the 16th game so no one can ever say anything.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

He’s a lock for the HOF unless he does something that destroys his character. Based on his body of work, he’s a shoo-in.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

HoF voters will often compare to see if a prospective HoF candidate surpassed a current HoF inductee with achievements.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/mike-evans-nfl-record-seven-1000-yard-seasons-start-career-randy-moss

If Evans can have more 1000 yard seasons from this point forward he is a lock.

Torry Holt a brilliant player and had 8 straight seasons of 1000 yards. But Holt only played for 11 years. He did not hit 1000 yards in his rookie year or his last two years in the league.

Mike Evans already has seven straight seasons of 1000 yards. Basically 2 more years of 1000 yard seasons pushes him past Holt and he would still be only 29 years old with some years left to go for more.

Build the trenches!

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think so. A super bowl on top of his already elite stats should be more than enough. Great guy too. Don’t see why he wouldn’t be. Maybe needs another good year or two to really cement it. Another sb would help clinch it too but I don’t think he really needs it unless we are talking first ballot.

• seekpar

Participant

YES

• Roy

Participant

Holt had Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk as his teammates, and they are already in the HOF. That makes it tougher for Holt. Plus, even though Evans gets to the 1000 yard mark every year, he hasn’t had many huge years. One year was 1500+, another 1300+, but Holt had six consecutive seasons over 1300+. I do think Evans will need to have a longer career, say 14 or 15 years, but they don’t all have to be superstar years. The key will be to stay healthy.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

If he stays on this path, for sure!

but 7 years with 6 being on bad teams isn’t enough if he were to retire tomorrow or pull a Chad Johnson fade away the remainder of this career.

Assuming he plays atleast another 5 years and cracks 1,000 yards, i think he’s first ballot. Obviously we hope he plays another 10!

• Greattimes

Participant

Outside of Tampa, not many voters know much about Evans. The voters tend to vote for players from their regional area. Sad, but true. The fact that for many years Evans played on loosing teams may be a factor in many of the HOF voters minds. He deserves to be in the HOF if he has 3 or more 1000+ yard seasons, but I don’t trust the voters.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Due to his age when he started, I think it is safe to say that a healthy 5 year run and he will be in.

• Charles

Participant

He’s not anywhere close to the hall right now.

Shoo in?

What are you smoking?

Racked a bunch of meaningless yards with Winston.

Great WR for sure. HOF? Uhhhhh…puff puff give.

Ask again in about 5 years of 1300+ yd/ 12 TD seasons

• Boid Fink

Participant

He’s set records for productivity in the regular season. He has blocked well, played tough and through pain and massive shots, won a super bowl so he has bragging rights…he is a hall of famer baby. Get outta here with this one more this and that. People know who he is. They know he won a title. They know he is a great human being. He is a lock. Next two years with average production and massive touchdown production and he glides in without a sweat.

• JC5100

Participant

He’s set records for productivity in the regular season. He has blocked well, played tough and through pain and massive shots, won a super bowl so he has bragging rights…he is a hall of famer baby. Get outta here with this one more this and that. People know who he is. They know he won a title. They know he is a great human being. He is a lock. Next two years with average production and massive touchdown production and he glides in without a sweat.

Tory Holt’s first 9 years are historic, Jerry Rice level and he’s not in after 7 tries.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

He’s not anywhere close to the hall right now.

Shoo in?

What are you smoking?

Racked a bunch of meaningless yards with Winston.

Great WR for sure. HOF? Uhhhhh…puff puff give.

Ask again in about 5 years of 1300+ yd/ 12 TD seasons

Considering Calvin Johnson was a first ballot HOF with no playoff success – 9 years, 83 TDs, 731 receptions, and 11,619 yards; i’d think Evans is closer to the side of being there.

Evans has a Superbowl – 7 years, 61 TDs, 532 receptions, and 8,266 yards.

If you pro-rate his annual average for another 2 years – 9 years, 78 TDs, 684 receptions, and 10,628 yards. He’s about half a season short in TDs and receptions, and a season short in yards.

Considering Evans is only 27 can ball out no matter the QB, he’s certainly on his way….like i said assuming he doesnt’ have a Chad Johnson type fade away.

• Charles

Participant

Calvin Johnson>>>>Mike Evans

We need to take the homer glasses off.

• Boid Fink

Participant

First player with 7 straight seasons with 1000 yards minimum.

A Super Bowl ring.

And he is 27 years old.

Stop being clowns. He is a lock.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Calvin Johnson>>>>Mike Evans

We need to take the homer glasses off.

Not arguing through Mikes first 7 seasons but look at the numbers; i dont think Calvin’s resume was significantly that much better than Mike’s and he got in first time.

If Mike retired tomorrow, yes, probably not making it in HOF but assuming he plays to his average the next 5-6 years, he’s got to get in.

• JC5100

Participant

First player with 7 straight seasons with 1000 yards minimum.

A Super Bowl ring.

And he is 27 years old.

Stop being clowns. He is a lock.

Again, Holt’s first 7 years are better and he’s not in.

• Charles

Participant

1000 passing yards is not a big deal in today’s pass happy NFL.

I’m sure that Mike’s record will be broken.

Mike is not a lock or even close to being a lock for the HOF.

Crazy talk.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Evans is a lock IMO.

Plus, Holt didn’t do diddly as a rookie. Holt did have an impressive stretch but Evans didn’t play with Faulk or Bruce year 1 as a rookie. Vincent Jackson put up a solid year with Evans as a rookie but that was the extent of that.

Plus, Evans is 27 years old with plenty in the tank. He is on pace to pass a lot of WRs including current HoF WRs. He broke Randy Moss’ record and that is a huge edge for Evans.

I consider Randy Moss a far more superior WR than Megatron.

Build the trenches!

• Roy

Participant

He’s not a lock, but what is in his favor is he is a multidimensional player. He has the speed to be a deep threat, and therefore accumulates yardage. He also has the size to be a red zone target, so he gets TDs. Even when he slows down a bit later in his career, he can still be target as #2 WR. Larry Fitzgerald for example, has had less than 1000 yards in eight of his seasons including the last three. He’s had 12 seasons with less than 10 TDs. He’s still going to be HOF. He just had longevity. If Evans wants to continue to play for a long time I think he’ll be able to because of his ability to be a red zone target.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Evans isn’t going into the HoF due to longevity. Evans already passed several HoF WRs that are in by breaking their respective records. If he continues to play and break more records yeah he is a lock.

I think he is a lock right now. Megatron didn’t have longevity either.

Megatron played what 9 years? And out of those 9 years he passed 1000 yards per season 7 times. As a rookie he was under 1000 yards as well like Holt.

Trust me when I say this but Evans is on a historic pace.

Build the trenches!

• Charles

Participant

He’s not a lock. If he retires tomorrow…he’s not getting in.

IF…big if…he has some huge seasons and plays well till 34-35…maybe.

Problems…he racked up a bunch of stats with winston on a losing team. He has Brady now but then what? The Bucs have no future at QB.

He can’t pass to himself.

• kegan

Participant

Love Mike’s team first attitude. However, Mike has games where he disappears. He has the ability to overcome those games and shutdown CBs. Like he did in the playoffs against the Saints. He needs to show up every game if he wants to be recognized as a top 5 receiver.

• tiapanda

Participant

I’d say 10 straight 1000 yard seasons and a couple of Super Bowl rings should do it.

• Charles

Participant

Passing people who are already in means zilch. It’s about your contemporaries.

You are puttinmg too much stock into 7 straight 1000 yd seasons.

That’s not a big deal in today’s NFL where guys throw for 5000 yards.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

There is not many that can match Evans compared to other NFL active WRs. Evans is so good RIGHT NOW we are comparing him to HoF WR and future HOF WRs.

When an active NFL player is compared to current HOFs and future HOFs it means you are canton bound.

Playing longer just accelerate the time table. Had Holt played longer and been productive he may have been in by now.

Build the trenches!

• Biggs3535

Participant

You are puttinmg too much stock into 7 straight 1000 yd seasons.

That’s not a big deal in today’s NFL where guys throw for 5000 yards.

If it’s “not a big deal” Chuck, can you give me the long list of players with seven straight 1,000 yard seasons? Thanks in advance.

• Charles

Participant

LOL. If he retired tomorrow he wouldn’t get in.

Do you disagree?

He has a lot of work to do to get in.

Nothing is guaranteed. This thread is acting like he is a lock.

So much can happen…he needs a lot more yards and TDs.

Homer city.

• Biggs3535

Participant

LOL. If he retired tomorrow he wouldn’t get in.

Do you disagree?

No, I don’t – especially since that’s not an argument I’ve made. Nor does anyone expect Evans to retire tomorrow.

You have, however, made a stupid argument Chuck. Evans has accomplished something no other NFL player has, even in this era of more passing. I think most would agree that is a “big deal.” Time for you to recant.

Evans career is on a HOF trajectory. Torrey Holt fell off the map after Kurt Warner/Marc Bulger and Mike Martz/Scott Linehan left the building. Evans has done his work with Josh McCown/Mike Glennon/Jameis Winston/Ryan Fitzpatrick and finally a good QB in Tom Brady. He’s still in his prime at 27 years old.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.