Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Does McCown fit NFC QB hierarchy with Brees, Ryan, Newton? Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:26pm mccown041514_8col_zpsa272dc3e.jpgGREG AUMAN | Times Josh McCown said he is looking forward to competing in the Bucs' star-studded division. The NFC South has been an arms race, with Pro Bowl passers such as the Saints' Drew Brees, the Panthers' Cam Newton and the Falcons' Matt Ryan. So will the Bucs be a little out-gunned in the division next season with Bears free agent Josh McCown at quarterback?"It’s not Josh McCown against Drew Brees, it’s those guys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,'' McCown said Tuesday. "It’s the Saints against the Bucs or the Falcons against the Bucs. I’m thankful as a team we’re going to have a good team together.''McCown, 34, said while he respects those players, they will have to contend with the Bucs defense. But he is looking forward to competing in the star-studded division.“I respect those guys’ game, so, obviously, to have my name mentioned with those guys, in the same sentence, at the end of the day, would be a real cool honor because I respect the heck out of their games,'' McCown said.“They’re all good leaders, first and foremost. And they play the position well. Everybody a little different, a little unique, but they all lead their teams and that’s what’s cool. At the end of the day, that’s what you want to have said about you as a quarterback. But the best thing I can say when I talk about those three guys is to talk about Lavonte David and Dashon Goldson and Gerald McCoy. That’s who they’ve got to worry about and I’m thankful those guys are on my team. So, we’ll see. You don’t really compete with other quarterbacks.''McCown, who has been a career backup, signed a 2-year, $10-million deal with the Bucs in March. He's coming off his best performance as a pro, going 3-2 in five starts with the Bears last season with 13 touchdowns and one interception.Bucs Beat Rick Stroud, Joe Smith and Greg Auman

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its an easy nut to crack. Cam Newton is going to suck because he has no weapons. ATL is going to have White and Jones back next year so Ryan will be good. Brees has good weapons and a great offense. He will be good.It all depends on how we draft. We need an impact WR and a starting OG or else we are surely going to be outmatched.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we can plug the rest of our holes on D and come up with a couple receivers in the draft, we’ll bet set for the future. I expect it to take a year for things to come together tho’. Also, our run game should be darned good, assuming all are healthy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its an easy nut to crack. Cam Newton is going to suck because he has no weapons. ATL is going to have White and Jones back next year so Ryan will be good. Brees has good weapons and a great offense. He will be good.It all depends on how we draft. We need an impact WR and a starting OG or else we are surely going to be outmatched.

If it were always that simple.But the BUcs will field a bottom tier offense (say, overall ranked 27th), and their defense will be a top 10 unit, top 5 in turnover ratio.And as it stands, should win around 8 games.But then again, watch the Bucs win 12 games, and McCown keep up his torrid pace...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McNown is relatively speaking a liability. He is the worst QB in the division. Until drafting or time changes that we have an issue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCown plays like he did last season the answer is a definitive “NO”. He played as well as any QB in the league last year .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just a wee bit. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCown plays like he did last season the answer is a definitive "NO". He played as well as any QB in the league last year .

He won't, not close, period.Different offense.Defensive minded HCCollege OC who will have to learn pro game.Offensive weapons not close to what he had in Chicago.Most importantly, an infinitely tougher defensive schedule to navigate.Glennon played very good defenses all year. McCown simply did not. Glennon would have posted much better numbers in McCowns spot. We stand a better chance with Glennon, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is the thing with McCown, BucNY.  I have said the same things, but if for some reason these things click, and he DOES keep up his torrid pace, he will be an MVP candidate.  But he has to keep it up.  And with Lovie at the helm (not a slight on Tedford, but Lovie is clearly a control freak of the quitter sort), I can see McCown being a very very pedestrian QB, as he has been his entire career (generally).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCown plays like he did last season the answer is a definitive "NO". He played as well as any QB in the league last year .

He won't, not close, period.Different offense.Defensive minded HCOffensive weapons not close to what he had in Chicago.Most importantly, an infinitely tougher defensive schedule to navigate.

Dumb reasons. If we draft a guy like Evans our weapons are VERY similar to Chicago . As for it being the scheme he was in ?? That excuse doesn't work either because he outperformed Jay Cutler in that same system with the same weapons by leaps and bounds.Defensive minded coach ?? LOL . If Lovie wants to shut down the offense then that effects ANY QB , not just mcCown.Also , an NFL schedule is an NFL schedule . One may be slighty harder than another, but there is no " infinitely harder " . LOL . There are no cake walks. Your best argument would be , " he's never done this before , he clearly just got hot last season. " But for some reason you aren't making that argument. You are making these dumb ones instead. LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is the thing with McCown, BucNY.  I have said the same things, but if for some reason these things click, and he DOES keep up his torrid pace, he will be an MVP candidate.  But he has to keep it up.  And with Lovie at the helm (not a slight on Tedford, but Lovie is clearly a control freak of the quitter sort), I can see McCown being a very very pedestrian QB, as he has been his entire career (generally).

If he is a 104 rated QB for a season, yes he will be an MVP candidate.  Of course if anyone thought he'd do that again he would have signed a bigger contract and been in demand with a lot more teams. Truthfully if he is a guy linger around that 85 QBR level that is about where I expect and realistically hope he is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I certainly hope McCown can be a baller in Tampa but I can’t ignore that pretty much every big play he had last year was more a product of his big, amazing receivers making incredible plays. Though he played fairly well I still saw the same lack of accuracy that’s always plagued him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How did we do against the Saints when we had King at QB?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just know that Lovie Smith is not known for offense-building skills.The focus of this team is going to be defense, turnovers, and ball-control. We are not going to play shoot-out with the Saints. Putting up 30 points a game is not something you will ever see under Lovie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is BS. Dungy was known for worse offenses than Lovie. What happened in Indy ??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won't, not close, period.Different offense.Defensive minded HCOffensive weapons not close to what he had in Chicago.Most importantly, an infinitely tougher defensive schedule to navigate.

Dumb reasons. If we draft a guy like Evans our weapons are VERY similar to Chicago . As for it being the scheme he was in ?? That excuse doesn't work either because he outperformed Jay Cutler in that same system with the same weapons by leaps and bounds.Defensive minded coach ?? LOL . If Lovie wants to shut down the offense then that effects ANY QB , not just mcCown.Also , an NFL schedule is an NFL schedule . One may be slighty harder than another, but there is no " infinitely harder " . LOL . There are no cake walks. Your best argument would be , " he's never done this before , he clearly just got hot last season. " But for some reason you aren't making that argument. You are making these dumb ones instead. LOL

Dumb reasons? Actually they are very legimate reasons. I've gone into great depth about the difficult of McCowns opposing defense and it's terrible. I'll dig the thread out so you can learn yourself at some point but trust competition does matter. Remember Freeman in '10 vs '11. Oh yes it matters.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown could prove to be the best QB. I’ll wait for the season to start. Crybaby Newton lost he’s best weapon in Steve smith.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No , they are dumb , dude. You are trying to look for ways to discredit a great season of play, when the bottom line is he just played well.The only question is was it a fluke or not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No , they are dumb , dude. You are trying to look for ways to discredit a great season of play, when the bottom line is he just played well.The only question is was it a fluke or not.

Trouble is, do you believe it was mccown that played lights out, or was it more a product of a very good OC?Because a good system and coaching can indeed make bums look glorious.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is no basis for comparison between McCown (or any other Bears qb) and Peyton Manning.  And Manning is what happened in Indy for Coach Dungy.  That last part is an answer to an earlier question.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not comparing McCown to Manning , I’m saying you can’t say Lovie could never have a good offense.Your last part answers the question indeed. Get the right players and the good offense appears. Imagine that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Benchwarmer , you can’t give all the credit to the system because he outperformed Cutler by far in that same system.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Get the right players and the good offense appears. Imagine that.

That is just a fact - no imagination required  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Since Carolina has fewer receivers than we do, and the Saints do not even have enough cap room to sign their draft picks, I’d say we are still in the mix…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We will…..RUN, RUN, RUN, and RUN some more and play stout Defense.  McCown, Glennon or First or Second round QB will be fine. Physical, Quick, Stout Defense....... Aggressive, Slippery  Special Teams.......  Fast Tempo Offense, Zone Blocking, Read, Cut and take it to the House.... Finally Screen Plays that go for positive yardage. Tight End down the Seam. Jump balls in the Red Zone.Look who's coaching them, watch out NFC SOUTH !!!Damn I'm Excited.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not comparing McCown to Manning , I'm saying you can't say Lovie could never have a good offense.Your last part answers the question indeed. Get the right players and the good offense appears. Imagine that.

Let's get the facts straight bro.1. McCown has been in the league for 12 years and had multiple attemtps to win and earn and keep a starting job and has been benched on all occasions.2. The teams he played so well against, had an average defensive pass ranking somewhere in the mid 20's. Compare that to Glennon's rank at 14th.3. After playing so well he was benched again for Jay Cutler.Those are the facts man, no arguing. The dumb one appears to be you because you are writing off the first 12 years of this guy being a below average back up and choosing to believe that the 8 games he played this year is a better measuring stick of his actual talent that the rest of his career.So let's for a minute agree that the first 12 years of his career are an aberation and not telling of his actual talent. Let's also assume that the 8 games he played against horrid passing defense, look it up so you can see for yourself, is telling of his talent. He is playing much much more difficult passing defenses this year and will likely be more of the 12 previous years than the last 8 games he played. Unless, you would also like me to believe that the talent on the defensive side does not affect how well the offense executes? Would you also like me to believe that talent working for McCown doesn't matter because he has less in Tampa than he did in Chicago. Hate to burst your bubble but it is what it is. He pulled a Matt Flynn, not a Kurt Warner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you are writing off the first 12 years of this guy being a below average back up and choosing to believe that the 8 games he played this year is a better measuring stick of his actual talent that the rest of his career.

Now you are finally making the argument I told you you should be making ....that last years solid play was just a fluke . Congrats on taking my advice . Time will tell if he is the next Kurt Warner or Flynn. Personally I'm not sure yet. All I know is the dude was balling out last season ,and none of your dumb excuses will change that.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.