Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• watson

Participant

This TD should not have counted. A forward handoff….which was the first part of the play….is considered a forward pass. You cannot then throw another forward pass on that play….which is what Winston did.

Not sure if this has been discussed since the game, but I was just re-watching the game and when they ran the play I thought it looked wrong and looked it up and the rule states it is not legal.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

That play..ugh.

If we had lost I would’ve been upset for quite some time lmao

• Nobody

Participant

This TD should not have counted. A forward handoff….which was the first part of the play….is considered a forward pass. You cannot then throw another forward pass on that play….which is what Winston did.

Not sure if this has been discussed since the game, but I was just re-watching the game and when they ran the play I thought it looked wrong and looked it up and the rule states it is not legal.

This is not correct. It was not a pass. Its what is called an “inside handoff.” And “inside handoff” is not a pass. If the ball leaves Kamara’s hands and the motion man catches it, at that point it is no longer an “inside handoff.” At that point it is a pass.

But that isn’t what happened here. It is just an orthodox inside handoff where Kamara puts the ball into the belly of the motion player and they cradle it.

• watson

Participant

This is not correct. It was not a pass. Its what is called an “inside handoff.” And “inside handoff” is not a pass. If the ball leaves Kamara’s hands and the motion man catches it, at that point it is no longer an “inside handoff.” At that point it is a pass.

But that isn’t what happened here. It is just an orthodox inside handoff where Kamara puts the ball into the belly of the motion player and they cradle it.

When I checked it here is what I found:

If the hand off is forward, it counts as a forward pass. If the receiver of that forward hand off then throws a forward pass it’d be considered the second forward pass of the play and thus be illegal

The qb on this play handed off in front of himself, thus a forward handoff.

• Bucman

Participant

Really don’t understand why nobody covered Smith there. Carlton needed to follow him and not bite on the fake. You gotta trust your teammates there to make a play if Kamara keeps it.

• BucBalla85

Participant

How epic would it have been if it was a pick 6 by Winston? I mean we won so this play is kinda meaningless since the saints lost. Haha fuck the saints!

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

You guys know this play had happened twice in the playoffs, with the Saints doing it the second time. The first time it happened was when Chicago used it on the Saints. The Saints did a far better job defending it, whereas we had no one covering the receiver. But the Saints used that same play the next week on us. Guess our video scouts suck to not notice that play.

Anyhow, there’s this…

Handing the Ball Forward
      ARTICLE 6. No player may hand the ball forward except during a
      scrimmage down as follows:
      a. A Team A player who is behind his scrimmage line may hand the ball
      forward to a backfield teammate who is also behind that line.
      b. A Team A player who is behind his scrimmage line may hand the ball
      forward to a teammate who was on his scrimmage line when the ball was
      snapped, provided that teammate left his line position by a movement
      of both feet that faced him toward his own end line and was at least two
      yards behind his scrimmage line when he received the ball (A.R. 7-1-
      6-I)

• Bucman

Participant

You guys know this play had happened twice in the playoffs, with the Saints doing it the second time. The first time it happened was when Chicago used it on the Saints. The Saints did a far better job defending it, whereas we had no one covering the receiver. But the Saints used that same play the next week on us. Guess our video scouts suck to not notice that play.

Anyhow, there’s this…

Handing the Ball Forward
      6-I)

They didnt do that much better of a job. The Bears WR dropped an easy TD.

• watson

Participant

Anyhow, there’s this…

Handing the Ball Forward
      6-I)

But how does the rules match up? The wording I saw said a forward hand off was considered a pass. ????

• elguapo

Participant

The one thing I don’t understand is that the second Jameis enter the field, it should have been obvious that it was a trick play. Maybe he was being used as a decoy, but if that was the case, either Kamara Runs it or is a hand-off to the guy in motion. My question is, if Jameis is set up as a wide receiver, once the ball is in play, couldn’t Whitehead ( who was in front of him) rush him and create contact? After all, he is behind the line of scrimmage. ???? Even the announcers mentioned the possibility for a “trick” play.

Just wondering.

• kenntak

Participant

The Chicago receiver made an unbelievable drop of a perfect pass. The receiver was not defended well.

• Natural Selection

Participant

Payton is a very good coach and set that play up and timed it perfectly. The game situation seems to be getting lost in the analysis.

They had just picked up a first down on a QB sneak. Brees took significant contact on the sneak and ran off the field. I thought live he had gotten dinged and was going to sit a play of two. I thought they had run in Winston reacting to that and the norm would then be a safe play for the backup coming in cold/unscripted. So of course all eyes focused on Kamara, mine were. Yes, we were caught with our pants down but good coaching on the other side set that up well imo.

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

I think the more important part when factoring that play is how utterly and completely our defense dominated the Saints otherwise. Even when they were clicking somewhat in the first half we held them to two field goals deep inside the red zone after big momentum plays and Brees himself was only able to manufacture one touchdown in a game that mattered more than anything to him. You could see it on his face we were completely in his head with our varying coverages and pressure schemes. Them scoring on that trick play was when I realized we had this game because they got desperate that early!

If we play at a similar level defensively next week we should hold the Packers to 24 points or less but I believe our office could put up 45 on them. Obviously the elements will be a factor but we do have the greatest cold-weather quarterback of all time leading our troops now.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

They had illegal formation called then picked it up due to tackle eligible. Not sure if that was the right call or not

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.