OLQB or ILBDL or ILB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it’s the first overall pick, no other choice but Mariota

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we pick #1 its going to be a QB, they can’t take anything else that high and sell it to the fans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we get the 1st overall pick we need to trade down and get as many picks as possible from a team enamored with Mariota.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we get the 1st overall pick we need to trade down and get as many picks as possible from a team enamored with Mariota.

^^^^ ThisAnd for the record, I have zero faith in Lovie being able to assess talent...other than MacDonald, his eye for defensive talent has sucked out loud

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we pick #1 its going to be a QB, they can't take anything else that high and sell it to the fans.

I agree. But let me stop you right there...I don't think Lovie cares about selling it to the fans or anybody else.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we pick #1 its going to be a QB, they can't take anything else that high and sell it to the fans.

Exactly. The Glazers need to sell tickets and some hope to the fanbase. DL or OL isn't doing that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But the Glazers do. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly. The Glazers need to tickets and some hope to the fanbase. DL or OL isn't doing that.

Which is why you don't make moves based on what you think the fans want. Winning will sell tickets long term, drafting a "name" player might be a short term solution, but if it turns into another Freeman situation (which is likely especially if you ignore the lines) it will backfire big time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have the first pick the the draft that means we go 1-15 or 2-14.  Would you still think Glennon was the future? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly. The Glazers need to tickets and some hope to the fanbase. DL or OL isn't doing that.

Which is why you don't make moves based on what you think the fans want. Winning will sell tickets long term, drafting a "name" player might be a short term solution, but if it turns into another Freeman situation (which is likely especially if you ignore the lines) it will backfire big time.

freeman didn’t flame out for any other reason than himself. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have the first pick the the draft that means we go 1-15 or 2-14.  Would you still think Glennon was the future?

If we are 1-15 or 2-14 I don't think it really matters. In fact I hope Glennon sort of lights it up or at least looks respectable.  That way after we draft a new QB, we can trade Glennon for a top pick.  You don't get many (hopefully) shots at a truly great player, but when you do, you have to take the chance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

we need Mariota then we have to go OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL,OL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There would be no way he could be considered the future. But if we are picking first, we have to fire Lovie Smith, get a new coach and draft a QB #1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winning sells tickets, that's absolutely true. But just because a QB might bust is hardly justification to not draft one. Every player might bust. We could draft a DE who gets 15 career sacks, we could draft the next Robert Gallery or Tony Mandarich. If we go 1-15/2-14, I don't think Lovie is back next season and if he isn't, why wouldn't we draft a QB to pair with our new coach?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There would be no way he could be considered the future. But if we are picking first, we have to fire Lovie Smith, get a new coach and draft a QB #1.

Right, because a second year QB is definitely going to make up the difference for the leagues worst offensive line and defense, and one of the worst running games. This is what I'm talking about with unrealistic expectations. You really seem to have no idea that what you're asking for doesn't exist and has never existed. If our defense starts to play much better, our offensive line starts to play at a respectable level, and our running game gets going, and we're still losing games...then what you said will make sense. As it stands right now, there's literally nothing Glennon can do. You aren't going to win many, if any, games while having the last ranked defense, no O-line, and no running game. This is just common sense that every coach in the NFL would agree with.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have the first pick and they don’t take a QB… catch me at the skyway. They would officially make me insane.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winning sells tickets, that's absolutely true. But just because a QB might bust is hardly justification to not draft one. Every player might bust. We could draft a DE who gets 15 career sacks, we could draft the next Robert Gallery or Tony Mandarich. If we go 1-15/2-14, I don't think Lovie is back next season and if he isn't, why wouldn't we draft a QB to pair with our new coach?

Missing on any position sucks, but nothing sets a franchise back as much as missing on a QB. It's the biggest gamble a franchise can take. As others have said, unless they are 100 percent sold on a guy, you don't take him, especially if you have a promising young QB already on the roster that doesn't have much around him to work with.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have the first pick and they don't take a QB... catch me at the skyway. They would officially make me insane.

even if we traded back and got something like the Rams got for RGIII? 3 total #1s and a couple #2s?id definately be tempted

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have the first pick and they don't take a QB... catch me at the skyway. They would officially make me insane.

even if we traded back and got something like the Rams got for RGIII? 3 total #1s and a couple #2s?id definately be tempted

not even. The Rams been stacking picks for years and won one game so far this year.Im tired of waiting for the perfect QB prospect. At number one, pick the best one and then at least you have some hope... right now we have none.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We didn’t take a QB this year.  Did it prevent this team from taking a step back?  And chew on this.  I’m talking about  a step back from a 4-12 season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Missing on any position sucks, but nothing sets a franchise back as much as missing on a QB. It's the biggest gamble a franchise can take. As others have said, unless they are 100 percent sold on a guy, you don't take him, especially if you have a promising young QB already on the roster that doesn't have much around him to work with.

But what happens when you don't really have a promising QB on the roster? Because this is the situation we are in right now. McCown is a career backup, Glennon has done very little in the time he's had to show he's going to be any better than the myriad of mediocre/average-bad QBs in this league. You can never be 100% sold on a draft pick, that notion doesn't make sense. The NFL Draft is filled with variance and unpredictability. Even with Andrew Luck, you can anticipate that he was going to be a great QB, but you didn't know. Ryan Leaf was thought to be as sure of a thing as ever, was a monumental bust. Yes, a bad QB can set back a franchise, but that's hardly justification for not drafting one, especially given your ridiculous criteria that you have to be 100% sold on him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We didn't take a QB this year.  Did it prevent this team from taking a step back?  And chew on this.  I'm talking about  a step back from a 4-12 season.

Thumbs up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have a shot at Mariota in the upcoming draft and pass for some OL/DE. I'm pretty much done being a Bucs fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not even. The Rams been stacking picks for years and won one game so far this year.Im tired of waiting for the perfect QB prospect. At number one, pick the best one and then at least you have some hope... right now we have none.

future looks pretty damn dim.  Only thing that would give me hope other than seeing Lovie fired is a QB.  Yeah, it might end up another failure but is have at least a reason to continue following this team.  It’s funny how most of these same people were wait until next year to draft a QB since Winston and Mariota will be likely to come out and now that having a very high pick looks probable they still are making the same damn excuses.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we have a shot at Mariota in the upcoming draft and pass for some OL/DE. I'm pretty much done being a Bucs fan.

I couldn't blame you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah…because the best QB in the draft getting sacked 3-5 a game next season will be the answer to all our problems…SMDH…Holy Fack...there are soo many other problems than QB...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

future looks pretty damn dim.  Only thing that would give me hope other than seeing Lovie fired is a QB.  Yeah, it might end up another failure but is have at least a reason to continue following this team.  It's funny how most of these same people were wait until next year to draft a QB since Winston and Mariota will be likely to come out and now that having a very high pick looks probable they still are making the same damn excuses.

Exactly... give me a QB because anything else is going to feel just like another kick in the ass from this team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

do the trade, take the speed rusher who drops because he doesn’t have the size to be an every down rde. Use mccoys money to grab some combo guys who can give interior pass rush. Follow it up with a mlb who can drop into coverage. Use mid rounds and fa for dbs and guard/ol depth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah...because the best QB in the draft getting sacked 3-5 a game next season will be the answer to all our problems...SMDH...Holy Fack...there are soo many other problems than QB...

So.. if he's going to be good he'll figure it out. If he gets sacked 3-5 snaps a game who cares if he's balling out for the 60.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Defensive end

Who do you want?  Gaines Adams brother?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Defensive end

Who do you want?  Gaines Adams brother?

is he in the draft?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bowers was like a little brother to Gaines (aren’t they cousins?) so it’s like we already went there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not a huge fan but all the experts still have Mariotta pegged as the best QB and/or player in the draft. Given what I have seen he’s my pick as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah...because the best QB in the draft getting sacked 3-5 a game next season will be the answer to all our problems...SMDH...Holy Fack...there are soo many other problems than QB...

So.. if he's going to be good he'll figure it out. If he gets sacked 3-5 snaps a game who cares if he's balling out for the 60.

HAHAHAHA...I love it.Our offensive line is, well, offensive...which makes the RBs look terrible...the WR's have the drops...Our defensive line can't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag...our secondary can't find it's azz...aside from Lavonte David, the LBs are soft...Our special is a flat out joke...the punter is embarrassingAND to top it off...we just assume that the front office will not muck it up and pick a college kid to come in here and ball out for 60...HAHAHA...because every QB drafted number 1 works out like that...This are truly dark times in the Bay Area...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes our Oline sucks but it’s not like Glennon is picking apart teams when he does have time. He’s not good enough to say draft a lineman at number 1, and pass up on some great prospects at QB.Mariota got sacked in a game 7 times and only threw like 4 incompletions and 3 TDs.. the good ones make shlt happen regardless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Walter Football latest mock has the Bucs trading up for Mariota."o move up to No. 1, the Buccaneers dealt the third-overall pick, their second-round selection and their 2016 first-rounder. "My god that would be so bad. That makes no sense. I would rather them trade their first pick to the Browns for Manziel. Manziel is probably better than Mariota anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well damn it then lets just use that once in 25 years first pick in the draft on a Guard or a punter then. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

HAHAHAHA...I love it.Our offensive line is, well, offensive...which makes the RBs look terrible...the WR's have the drops...Our defensive line can't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag...our secondary can't find it's azz...aside from Lavonte David, the LBs are soft...Our special is a flat out joke...the punter is embarrassingAND to top it off...we just assume that the front office will not muck it up and pick a college kid to come in here and ball out for 60...HAHAHA...because every QB drafted number 1 works out like that...This are truly dark times in the Bay Area...

The other 60 snaps I meant.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ride or die with the war giraffespin that #1 pick into 4-5 top 50 picks and load up on O-line, D-line and a new FS

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ride or die with the war giraffespin that #1 pick into 4-5 top 50 picks and load up on O-line, D-line and a new FS

so under this premise you would want to build around a QB that has gone 5-21 or 6-20?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

so under this premise you would want to build around a QB that has gone 5-21 or 6-20?

Build around mediocre. Let's strive for a 7 win team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you used too many words,under this premise I build a teamend

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not a huge fan but all the experts still have Mariotta pegged as the best QB and/or player in the draft. Given what I have seen he's my pick as well.

Right now? Me too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think a lot should have to do with how the team's scouting department feels about Mariota.  I mean, if they feel he's the real deal - take him, no questions or hesitations.  If they don't and can get someone to make a big trade for him, better that than trying to force something.  Because the obvious counterpoint to the RGIII trade not translating into an immense amount of success for the Rams is that since his injury his rookie year, the Redskins haven't exactly torn things up either.  The "lots of picks" strategy has the virtue of increasing the odds of hitting on a player through sheer, dumb luck at least.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But what happens when you don't really have a promising QB on the roster? Because this is the situation we are in right now. McCown is a career backup, Glennon has done very little in the time he's had to show he's going to be any better than the myriad of mediocre/average-bad QBs in this league. You can never be 100% sold on a draft pick, that notion doesn't make sense. The NFL Draft is filled with variance and unpredictability. Even with Andrew Luck, you can anticipate that he was going to be a great QB, but you didn't know. Ryan Leaf was thought to be as sure of a thing as ever, was a monumental bust. Yes, a bad QB can set back a franchise, but that's hardly justification for not drafting one, especially given your ridiculous criteria that you have to be 100% sold on him.

So you'd be comfortable with us taking a QB if the staff had doubts about him being the answer?We're to draft a QB that we aren't really sure about. This is your stance? The alternative stance of wanting our staff to be 100 percent sold on him is, in your words, ridiculous? You're serious? Just confirm that you're serious for me.Thanks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you used too many words,under this premise I build a teamend

good answer

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you'd be comfortable with us taking a QB if the staff had doubts about him being the answer?We're to draft a QB that we aren't really sure about. This is your stance? The alternative stance of wanting our staff to be 100 percent sold on him is, in your words, ridiculous? You're serious? Just confirm that you're serious for me.Thanks.

100% sold seems like kind of a high bar.  There are always going to be *some* doubts.  Is your standard really "we are completely certain that there's no chance this draft pick fails" rather than "we feel good enough about this guy to draft him"?  I'd be pretty danged dubious about a scout who told me the former, even with prospects like Luck or Manning.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

100% sold seems like kind of a high bar.  There are always going to be *some* doubts.  Is your standard really "we are completely certain that there's no chance this draft pick fails" rather than "we feel good enough about this guy to draft him"?  I'd be pretty danged dubious about a scout who told me the former, even with prospects like Luck or Manning.

100 percent sold means that those making the decision are all on board with the pick, and yes that he's going to be a significant upgrade over what you're trying to replace. No player is perfect and no staff is capable of figuring that out before hand, but if they can't all stand behind the pick, and if they don't all believe he's going to be a significant upgrade, then it's a poor pick that needs to be avoided.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

future looks pretty damn dim.  Only thing that would give me hope other than seeing Lovie fired is a QB.  Yeah, it might end up another failure but is have at least a reason to continue following this team.  It's funny how most of these same people were wait until next year to draft a QB since Winston and Mariota will be likely to come out and now that having a very high pick looks probable they still are making the same damn excuses.

Exactly... give me a QB because anything else is going to feel just like another kick in the ass from this team.

+10000000000%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

100 percent sold means that those making the decision are all on board with the pick, and yes that he's going to be a significant upgrade over what you're trying to replace. No player is perfect and no staff is capable of figuring that out before hand, but if they can't all stand behind the pick, and if they don't all believe he's going to be a significant upgrade, then it's a poor pick that needs to be avoided.

I have no particular arguments with that.(Amazing, isn't it?  ;-))

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To me, this looks like a 0 to 1 QB draft coming up.  I’d have no problem trading down from #1 if someone wants Mariota that bad.  I think there’s a “chance” Mariota “could” be a franchise QB, but I wouldn’t bet the #1 pick on it.  I have no interest in Winston, Petty, Cook, or Hundley at this point.  All 5 guys, including Mariota, should go back to school next year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Those is so highly unlikely that none of them are good. It is likely only 2 of the 5 are good and your job as an NFL type is to pick one of those 2 but for everyone to be wrong about all 5 is highly unlikely. I get being nervous about QBs.  There is a side of me that likes Connor Cook over Winston or Maritotta but at the same time none of them are gonna be perfect coming out. You are always projecting development because the Luck type guys happen once every 20 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Those is so highly unlikely that none of them are good. It is likely only 2 of the 5 are good and your job as an NFL type is to pick one of those 2 but for everyone to be wrong about all 5 is highly unlikely. I get being nervous about QBs.  There is a side of me that likes Connor Cook over Winston or Maritotta but at the same time none of them are gonna be perfect coming out. You are always projecting development because the Luck type guys happen once every 20 years.

Exactly. If everyone was sold on Philip Rivers he wouldn't have gone #4 overall, Ben Roethlisberger #11, Aaron Rodgers #24, Jay Cutler #11, Joe Flacco #18, and so on. Just about all QBs have some questions about how good they can be and some teams that didn't believe in them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My only issue with a new QB is watching him get murdered behind out terrible OL. its soul destroying to watch a promising prospect get ruined by bad coaching and bad OL play

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My only issue with a new QB is watching him get murdered behind out terrible OL. its soul destroying to watch a promising prospect get ruined by bad coaching and bad OL play

While we've seen this narrative for years based on guys like Carr, I don't know that there is any reason to believe it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While we've seen this narrative for years based on guys like Carr, I don't know that there is any reason to believe it.

If he's good enough, he'll get over it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't want Winston at all, period.  The guy belongs in jail and will end up there soon.  I'm not dealing with that.  If the other guys come out this year, I think they're doing themselves a disservice.  I think they're all best served if they go back to school.  I don't need a Andrew Luck to come out, but I'd be happy with a Ryan, Stafford, or Roethlisberger.  Neither of those two were even in Luck's atmosphere.  I just don't think the guys that are eligible this year are even on Ryan's or Roethlisberger's level.  Neither of them were #1 picks and none of these guys are worth it either.You say that 2 of the 5 should pan out.  Why?  What have you seen from the last 10 years that tells you that?  Since 2004, there have been 31 QB's taken in the first round.  Of them,  12 are still starting (13 if you count Griffin)... Aaron RodgersAlex SmithAndrew LuckBen RoethlisbergerCam NewtonEli ManningJay CutlerJoe FlaccoMatt RyanMatthew StaffordPhilip RiversRyan TannehillOf this group, 2 are on their 2nd team (Cutler and Smith), and guys like Tannehill and Flacco aren't really all that good either.  Of this group, you're looking at 5 out of 31 were worthy of a top 5 pick... that's more like 16%, not 40%.  NOW, if you're talking about trading down to like 10 to 15 and taking one of those guys, then ok, I'll go with that, but not top 3 and certainly not #1 overall.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly. If everyone was sold on Philip Rivers he wouldn't have gone #4 overall, Ben Roethlisberger #11, Aaron Rodgers #24, Jay Cutler #11, Joe Flacco #18, and so on. Just about all QBs have some questions about how good they can be and some teams that didn't believe in them.

Now, if you notice... look at all the guys you mentioned.  How many were taken in the top 3... or even #1?  The answer... Zero.  That's the point.  If you're taking a QB #1, you better be darn sure that he's "the answer".  If not, it's another 5 years of suck.  Personally, I don't think there's a QB worthy of the #1 or top 3 pick... at this point in time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now, if you notice... look at all the guys you mentioned.  How many were taken in the top 3... or even #1?  The answer... Zero.  That's the point.  If you're taking a QB #1, you better be darn sure that he's "the answer".  If not, it's another 5 years of suck.  Personally, I don't think there's a QB worthy of the #1 or top 3 pick... at this point in time.

Of course you better be sure. But the point is most of the QBs people would give their left nut for had something "wrong" with them that caused a team to not pick them #1, #2, or even #3 overall. It's very rare to have a true slam dunk QB prospect, but that doesn't mean if someone isn't an obvious slam dunk player that he can't turn out to be really good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course you better be sure. But the point is most of the QBs people would give their left nut for had something "wrong" with them that caused a team to not pick them #1, #2, or even #3 overall. It's very rare to have a true slam dunk QB prospect, but that doesn't mean if someone isn't an obvious slam dunk player that he can't turn out to be really good.

That's all my point was.  And to that, I don't think that any QB right now is worth a top 3 pick in the draft.  Now of course, I'm not the GM or coach, so it's not my call... but I think... like I did the last 5 years, that I am smarter on this topic than the people who were in place.  Correction... I don't think I'm smarter than Lovie or Licht, in case that came across.  I only think I'm smarter than Dominik, Morris, and Schiano.  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmm, you don't say.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you get your QB he is worth a top 5 pick. It is that easy. The idea that you should “reserve” the too pick only for a Luck level prospect is wrong. Go back and redraft and in almost any scenario the QBs that are good are gonna go first because they are that valuable. The single biggest indicator of going to the playoffs is the good old fashioned passer rating.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this team needs to invest in a top pick QB and ride or die with him. They also need to invest many many picks into both lines. No more skill position players please.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota may not be an Andrew Luck but if we pick #1 we either need to take him (if we think he can still be a franchise QB) or trade to a team like TN that will be even more desperate for a QB than we are.Maybe we can get a guy like Randy Gregory. The pass rush MUST be fixed. The scary thing is I can't help but think we're going to be needing a replacement for McCoy soon too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As it stands right now DE is our biggest need. Our defense is atrocious and that starts with the line. My guess is we’ll let AC go, he gets injured a lot so we couldn’t trust him even if he stays. Gholston seems more like a rotation player so far and perhaps McDonald is too. I wouldn’t be opposed to going DE and DT with our first two picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed, if we lose McCoy then our line will be really, really ugly. Move Johnson to LE and draft a real RE that can produce. I hope Glennon can continue to improve so we can focus on both lines and maybe LB. Hoepfully try to shore up our secondary in free agency.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Define doubts. Does that include noticing the weaknesses in his game and being able to correct them? There is no perfect prospect, even when people say can't miss, they can still miss. You are thriving on the ambiguity of it all. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Define doubts. Does that include noticing the weaknesses in his game and being able to correct them? There is no perfect prospect, even when people say can't miss, they can still miss. You are thriving on the ambiguity of it all.

I've already answered this question. Was my answer too complicated for you to understand? Let me know and I'll send over Corky from Life Goes On to explain it to you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mariota and then OL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you get your QB he is worth a top 5 pick. It is that easy. The idea that you should "reserve" the too pick only for a Luck level prospect is wrong. Go back and redraft and in almost any scenario the QBs that are good are gonna go first because they are that valuable. The single biggest indicator of going to the playoffs is the good old fashioned passer rating.

+1 Just because a surefire Andrew Luck type talent maybe available doesn't always guarantee we'll be bad enough to be in a position to draft them. This is the 2nd year we'll be be drafting in the top-10. We simply can't overlook QB again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

did-o

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

are you typing that QB is not a problem?

Please wait…

• install

Participant

Mariota and then OL.

This ... And a mobile QB who is accurate would make a huge difference IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Build around mediocre. Let's strive for a 7 win team.

I can't believe what i'm reading, LMAO!!!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just wondering where would Mariotta rank if you put all QBs for th last 3 years in a draft. I’m talking just based on college game, no regards to how they are doing to NFL. I don’t watch enough but I fear Oregon puts out system players. Not saying Mariotta can’t be successful I just think we need an offensive coach whose open to running plays to his strengths, not one who tries to force Mariotta to play his system. I also don’t want to draft a QB just to draft a QB because that never seems to work out. If their is a QB who is top player on board take him, but if there’s better prospects out there I would much rather go with them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2958492.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love Mariota , but drafting him when Lovie is coach and Arroyo OC would be the biggest waste of time ever.I for one am sick of getting dominated on both lines of scrimmage every year.It's the REAL reason we continue to lose.  It's time to fix that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Amari CooperPass protection can be schemed. We're finding out why Warhop gets fired all the time,  including once in-season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Leonard Williams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Amari Cooper than OG in the second

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Putting a rookie QB in this environment would be a disaster. If you draft a QB, you’ll have to sit him on the bench and develop him that way for the future.Seriously with this offensive line, a rookie will get mauled. Look what's happened to RG3 and Geno Smith. This team is a mess in so many places right now that there is no way anyone is going to develop. We haven't even figured out our identity yet. We don't even know what we do good at.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Amari CooperPass protection can be schemed. We're finding out why Warhop gets fired all the time,  including once in-season.

I would always look to trade back first.Cooper looks like a sure thing though.  He looks elite. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously another WR? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously another WR?

How old is VJax and out of Murphy and Evans who even looks like they deserve to have a roster spot next year?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love Mariota , but drafting him when Lovie is coach and Arroyo OC would be the biggest waste of time ever.I for one am sick of getting dominated on both lines of scrimmage every year.It's the REAL reason we continue to lose.  It's time to fix that.

we are in complete agreement here. why pick a guy who will fail under this staffbestfranz.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

we are in complete agreement here. why pick a guy who will fail under this staffbestfranz.gif

You always were a smart dude when it came to the draft .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously another WR?

How old is VJax and out of Murphy and Evans who even looks like they deserve to have a roster spot next year?

Herron . He started slow but he's improving every week .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't care what most of the people around here say, if we drafted all DL and OL in April I wouldn't mind one bit. as long as we choose the right players and don't whiff epically like we have for the last 6 years or so we will drastically improve the teamfootball is won in the trenches. plain and simple. its that way in high school, college, and the NFL. you can have the greatest QB ever but if hes getting mauled constantly in under 3 seconds he wont do a damn thing for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just wondering where would Mariotta rank if you put all QBs for th last 3 years in a draft. I'm talking just based on college game, no regards to how they are doing to NFL. I don't watch enough but I fear Oregon puts out system players.

a good coach should be able to tailor his system to the strengths of his players, should he not?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously another WR?

Not if you rate a QB prospect as elite obviously.  Cooper is a beast though.  If we pick high I want a stud like that, a QB, or a defender who gets after quarterbacks.  It's the LT you have to sell me hard for. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As much as i'd love Cooper, he doesn't fill one of the gaping holes we have on this team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't care what most of the people around here say, if we drafted all DL and OL in April I wouldn't mind one bit. as long as we choose the right players and don't whiff epically like we have for the last 6 years or so we will drastically improve the teamfootball is won in the trenches. plain and simple. its that way in high school, college, and the NFL. you can have the greatest QB ever but if hes getting mauled constantly in under 3 seconds he wont do a damn thing for you.

Amen.We can't band-aid the line of scrimmage any longer with these hodge-podge free agents who never live up to the hype . We need to invest drafts towards it.That is what will turn this franchise around. When we can win battles up front instead of getting pushed around every week .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Amen.We can't band-aid the line of scrimmage any longer with these hodge-podge free agents who never live up to the hype . We need to invest drafts towards it.That is what will turn this franchise around. When we can win battles up front instead of getting pushed around every week .

and we need to stop taking late round fliers like Pamphile and Edwards and acting like that might work. we need to spend 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks on talented guys who can come in and start day 1. not late round project players who may or may not even make the teamI hate to say it but the Cowboys did it right. they had 3 boring ass drafts and everyone laughed at them for picking OL in the 1st year after year but its working out for them and now they can keep Romo on his feet and they run the ball extremely well

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As much as i'd love Cooper, he doesn't fill one of the gaping holes we have on this team.

You don't fill holes in the draft.  You build around the special players you take.  I think our protection problems are as much coaches as players.  But we'll have plenty of room to blow it up and start over in free agency again.  EDS has no guaranteed money after this season.  He's 3.75 if you want to flat dump him.  Collins has 3 mil next season.  6 is the total figure.  You can basically keep him as a swing tackle for 3 mil extra.  Go get another vet there, and at guard.  You can still go after several splash players or a roster's worth of mid level guys.  We will be well under and then dumping some big contracts on top. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whoever the BPA is, regardless of position. There’s no way to tell who is going to play well next year or in future seasons. Pick the best player and develop them. If it’s another WR in Amari Cooper, then so be it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the good ones will thrive regardless.Arroyo won't be the OC next year, im sure of that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and we need to stop taking late round fliers like Pamphile and Edwards and acting like that might work. we need to spend 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks on talented guys who can come in and start day 1. not late round project players who may or may not even make the teamI hate to say it but the Cowboys did it right. they had 3 boring ass drafts and everyone laughed at them for picking OL in the 1st year after year but its working out for them and now they can keep Romo on his feet and they run the ball extremely well

part of the cowboys success is because no matter what you can't stack the box because they have a QB that will shred a defense. We could build a great oline but if no one is scared of our QB like Glennon,  then we'll be running in to 8-9 man fronts anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whoever the BPA is, regardless of position. There's no way to tell who is going to play well next year or in future seasons. Pick the best player and develop them. If it's another WR in Amari Cooper, then so be it.

Picking a WR in the top 5 is somthing Ive said for years is a real dumb. Picking a WR with a top 5 pick for this team which has major problems elsewhere would seem incredibly bad. But man I love Amari Cooper and with the thought of Cooper and Evans for years, I probably wouldnt complain.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

we need Mariota then we have to go OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL,OL

yes QB O line in draft we need veterans in free agency that know how to play in this kind of defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

part of the cowboys success is because no matter what you can't stack the box because they have a QB that will shred a defense. We could build a great oline but if no one is scared of our QB like Glennon,  then we'll be running in to 8-9 man fronts anyway.

No , actually Romo has been constantly banged up because of it , and also labeled a "choker" , because he fails in the big games against good teams - and it was mostly due to pressure and lack of running game in those big games . This year has been different SPECIFICALLY because they are finally winning up front.I can't believe you are buying into the idiotic FRG philosophy of of " QB does it by himself " . Don't buy in . Football is won in the trenches.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the good ones will thrive regardless.Arroyo won't be the OC next year, im sure of that.

God i hope youre right on this

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No , actually Romo has been constantly banged up because of it , and also labeled a "choker" , because he fails in the big games against good teams - and it was mostly due to pressure and lack of running game in those big games . This year has been different SPECIFICALLY because they are finally winning up front.I can't believe you are buying into the idiotic FRG philosophy of of " QB does it by himself " . Don't buy in . Football is won in the trenches.

drop the mike

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can't believe you are buying into the idiotic FRG philosophy of of " QB does it by himself " . Don't buy in . Football is won in the trenches.

SHUT THE MUTHER FACKER DOWN!! Nothing else matters!!!!Walk off Home Run!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Football games are won in the trenches, but good QBs are good QBs because they're good QBs and bad QBs are bad QBs because they're bad QBs. Dallas may be winning more right now, but Romo has been a good QB the entire time. Passer rating2014: #52013: #82012: #102011: #42010: injured2009: #82008: #82007: #52006: #5Romo has been a consistently excellent player all along.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Romo has been one of the best QBs in the NFL for a long time.  He is absolutely a franchise QB and good enough to win a Super Bowl. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Football games are won in the trenches, but good QBs are good QBs because they're good QBs and bad QBs are bad QBs because they're bad QBs. Dallas may be winning more right now, but Romo has been a good QB the entire time. Passer rating2014: #52013: #82012: #102011: #42010: injured2009: #82008: #82007: #52006: #5Romo has been a consistently excellent player all along.

So explain to me how him being a top 10 QB has helped Dallas get to and win in the playoffs? im guessing lack of good trench play has cost Dallas the ability to win. so your argument of a QB > trench players is terrible. go ahead and explain this to mei'll hang up and listen

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So explain to me how him being a top 10 QB has helped Dallas get to and win in the playoffs? im guessing lack of good trench play has cost Dallas the ability to win. so your argument of a QB > trench players is terrible. go ahead and explain this to mei'll hang up and listen

Every year there are roughly 15-17 QBs good enough to get into the playoffs. Ben Roethlisberger is good enough to have won two Super Bowls and his team hasn't made the playoffs in two years and they probably won't this year, either. There aren't enough slots for all the good QBs. Once you get into the playoffs, virtually every team has a good QB and then the rest of the team, coaching, schedule, and luck decides who keeps winning.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Every year there are roughly 15-17 QBs good enough to get into the playoffs. Ben Roethlisberger is good enough to have won two Super Bowls and his team hasn't made the playoffs in two years and they probably won't this year, either. There aren't enough slots for all the good QBs. Once you get into the playoffs, virtually every team has a good QB and then the rest of the team, coaching, schedule, and luck decides who keeps winning.

And the Steelers arent going to make the playoffs because of poor OL and Defensive play. sound familiar?their struggles start and end with the LOS, same as us. mediocre QBs with great LOS play can make the playoffs, look at Andy Dalton and Cincy. Russell Wilson is really good but he doesnt have to do much because Seattle can control the LOS and win games up front. a great QB is key for a Superbowl run but to play respectable football youve got to be good in the trenches first. get right in the trenches and get above .500 and then worry about getting to the Superbowl. Glennon is good enough to get us to the playoffs with coherant play by the OL and the defense. if we play well on the OL the running game gets going and makes Glennon a lot better

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And the Steelers arent going to make the playoffs because of poor OL and Defensive play. sound familiar?their struggles start and end with the LOS, same as us. mediocre QBs with great LOS play can make the playoffs, look at Andy Dalton and Cincy. Russell Wilson is really good but he doesnt have to do much because Seattle can control the LOS and win games up front. a great QB is key for a Superbowl run but to play respectable football youve got to be good in the trenches first. get right in the trenches and get above .500 and then worry about getting to the Superbowl. Glennon is good enough to get us to the playoffs with coherant play by the OL and the defense. if we play well on the OL the running game gets going and makes Glennon a lot better

I don't believe that. We arent making it to the playoffs with the worst QB in our division.  It wouldn't happen.Our QB is position is miles behind carolina,  new orleans, and Atlanta... miles

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

a great QB is key for a Superbowl run but to play respectable football youve got to be good in the trenches first. get right in the trenches and get above .500 and then worry about getting to the Superbowl.

There's no first, second, or third steps in building a great team. You need great players at every position and you need to acquire those great players whenever you have the opportunity. When you try and get fancy and do things in a certain order is when you screw up and miss out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

a great QB is key for a Superbowl run but to play respectable football youve got to be good in the trenches first. get right in the trenches and get above .500 and then worry about getting to the Superbowl.

There's no first, second, or third steps in building a great team. You need great players at every position and you need to acquire those great players whenever you have the opportunity. When you try and get fancy and do things in a certain order is when you screw up and miss out.

Right you do need great players everywhere. the problem is we will acquire a guy who isnt a sure thing at qb and then watch him bust out because he cant cover for all the other issues on this team and then in two years you and everyone else will be lamenting drafting yet another bust qb because we "absolutely had to"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right you do need great players everywhere. the problem is we will acquire a guy who isnt a sure thing at qb and then watch him bust out because he cant cover for all the other issues on this team and then in two years you and everyone else will be lamenting drafting yet another bust qb because we "absolutely had to"

Good QBs don't bust because of poor teammates.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

When you have a chance at a franchise QB, you pick him.  That's why they needed to pick Manziel this year instead of Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tell em

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young would like to disagree with you there. Until he was traded to the 49ers he was a bust.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Steve Young would like to disagree with you there. Until he was traded to the 49ers he was a bust.

This is a hypothetical because Steve Young didn't bust. He had one poor season at a time when virtually every QB took years to acclimate and then he was traded.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And they traded him for a shiny new college QB who ended up being pretty useless for the Bucs, They didn’t let him develop and went with the next thing that looked sexy. Which strangely enough is exactly what we are seeing again now from members of this forum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ding Ding DingWe have a winner!Every pick needs to be on the offensive or defensive line. I'll take a true cover safety but not until later.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I personally believe if Tedford is what everyone claims he is then Mariota is probably a good fit for his system. Assuming Tedford ever comes back. However, there’s a lot of merit to fixing the trenches. Oline, Dline… that’s the smartest route to go most likely.Cooper is going to be really good but drafting another WR would be ridiculous... unless of course we hire Matt Millen.

Please wait…

• mdclarie

Participant

I’m all for a trade down, but not too far. I want a top 5 pick to get a premier LT (assuming one is available). I doubt we get the 1st pick anyway, we’ll be luckly to get the 4-5th pick really. Oakland and the Jags are worse than us and we’ll win 2-3 more games just based on the odds and the fact that we do keep most games tight.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When we have a top 2 pick that’s going to be evidence enough that Glennon isnt the guy. The game is heavily stacked toward offense so good QBs will find a way to win. No excuses.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kinda sad to spend top shelf money on a guy like Collins only to be hoping for a top flight LT in next years draft after week 6…..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kinda sad to spend top shelf money on a guy like Collins only to be hoping for a top flight LT in next years draft after week 6.....

At least he is young, has positional flexibility, and didn't cost a draft pick. If the Bucs were to somehow acquire a really good LT, Collins at $6 million per year may be a pretty good LG. On the other hand Mankins is old, has little to no positional flexibility, and cost a draft pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kinda sad to spend top shelf money on a guy like Collins only to be hoping for a top flight LT in next years draft after week 6.....

Last time we saw a top 20 LT actually being worthy of a top 20 pick was back in the '11 draft with Tyron Smith and Nate Soldier. I'm not so sure we should be grabbing an LT with a top 3 pick. I'd rather wait til round 2 if we're going OT.Look at the last 7 OTs taken in the top 15.Matt Kalil had a decent rookie year, but has been awful every since.Fisher and Joeckel have been awful.Lane Johnson is an average RT.DJ Fluker has been a below average RT.Greg Robinson is just barely seeing the field this last Monday....as a Guard.Matthews has been below average for Atlanta.Taylor Lewan just saw his first action due to the LT for the Titans being injured.LTs aren't as safe of picks as they are pimped to be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Last time we saw a top 20 LT actually being worthy of a top 20 pick was back in the '11 draft with Tyron Smith and Nate Soldier. I'm not so sure we should be grabbing an LT with a top 3 pick. I'd rather wait til round 2 if we're going OT.Look at the last 7 OTs taken in the top 15.Matt Kalil had a decent rookie year, but has been awful every since.Fisher and Joeckel have been awful.Lane Johnson is an average RT.DJ Fluker has been a below average RT.Greg Robinson is just barely seeing the field this last Monday....as a Guard.Matthews has been below average for Atlanta.Taylor Lewan just saw his first action due to the LT for the Titans being injured.LTs aren't as safe of picks as they are pimped to be.

Whoah whoah whoah I thought QB was the only position that had busts?

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Trade next year’s first round pick for Manziel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure Lane Johnson has been average. He missed the first four games this season but the quality of line play from the Eagles has improved pretty significantly since he returned. But the real question is, were all these teams 100% sold on these guys before they drafted them because if they weren't then they made a real mistake in even trusting the draft system at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the reasoning for not drafting a QB #1 overall is the coaching staff would waste him, then why should we take anyone in the draft? Further, why should the coaching staff still be here with the cataclysmic decisions they've made for this franchise?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've already answered this question. Was my answer too complicated for you to understand? Let me know and I'll send over Corky from Life Goes On to explain it to you.

You haven't. You've said if there is any doubt at all the QB should not be drafted. Why would this not apply to every single position and every single pick in the draft? Because it's an unrealistic, unnecessarily high standard that doesn't even make sense in practice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And they traded him for a shiny new college QB who ended up being pretty useless for the Bucs, They didn't let him develop and went with the next thing that looked sexy. Which strangely enough is exactly what we are seeing again now from members of this forum.

Except that Mike Glennon is now in his 2nd season and hasn't shown any promise that he's a franchise QB so far. He's shown himself to be merely fine, not elite. And if we are picking #1 or #2 in the draft again, shouldn't that reflect on his ability to be the guy? The points being made about the Steelers and Cowboys having good QBs and missing the playoffs are misguided and misplaced in this thread. Being a playoff team is different from having a franchise QB. If the Colts somehow missed the playoffs this year, would you realistically say that Andrew Luck isn't a franchise QB? No, being a playoff team requires not only good quarterback play but good everything else or at least complimentary pieces to a winning formula. Even if the Bucs took Mariota, I don't think any realistic fan on here is going to proclaim us a possible playoff team. We have other holes that need to be filled but getting a franchise QB should be one of our highest priorities since we don't have one right now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think our first priority is to build an elite offensive line.  Not only will that enhance every other aspect of the team (even giving the defense a rest through ball control), but their careers tend to last a long time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think our first priority is to build an elite offensive line.  Not only will that enhance every other aspect of the team (even giving the defense a rest through ball control), but their careers tend to last a long time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We can’t run the ball.  Our QB got hit 15 times Sunday past.  Our defense is giving up like 40 points per game.  We are getting manhandled at the los on both sides of the ball.Yeah let's draft a QB or another top 10 WR- that'll fix it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trade next year's first round pick for Manziel.

Put your crack pipe down Java

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is no such thing as a safe pick anymore...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We can't run the ball.  Our QB got hit 15 times Sunday past.  Our defense is giving up like 40 points per game.  We are getting manhandled at the los on both sides of the ball.Yeah let's draft a QB or another top 10 WR- that'll fix it.

No one player is going to fix the team. The team needs lots of players, so they must draft the absolutely best one possible, unless it's a Jake Long/Matt Ryan situation where a potentially top 5 position player is available with a top 10 QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Holy Fack...there are soo many other problems than QB...

Yeah but a good QB can cover up so many problems. A good QB makes your O-line and WRs better. He makes your running game better. You start there. You HAVE to have a QB to win in the NFL today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really want to understand the theory operating from the “our defense sucks so let’s not draft a QB” types. Do you think that if you are say HOU with a good defense, good line, good run game and Ryan Fitzpatrick (.1 lower passer rating Glennon) you are really going anywhere? They aren’t bad news.Cardinals were 5-11 in 2012 and added Carson Palmer who isn't a world beater at QB and jumped to 10-6. Colts went 2-14 and then miracle or miracles added a QB and went 11-5.  Chiefs 2-14 with more pro bowlers than any other team solid all over except QB and then added a competent, again not world beater, QB and jumped to 11-5. PIT was 6-10 with a mediocre Maddox and then added Roth to go 15-1. QB's can change things, a lot of things nothing else will change anything until that gets better. It doesn't take a guy playing at the top of his game just not a guy in the bottom third of the league. If Glennon doesn't get better over the next 10 games, we could add the next JJ Watt and Orlando Pace this offseason and we'd still be a 6 win team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah but a good QB can cover up so many problems. A good QB makes your O-line and WRs better. He makes your running game better. You start there. You HAVE to have a QB to win in the NFL today.

IF hes an established QB. no rookie QB is going to scare defenses into respecting him. they will press him and force him to beat them with his arm and pressure the crap out of himsure if you put Aaron Rodgers in our backfield then other teams will back off and respect the pass more because they know what he can do

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IF hes an established QB. no rookie QB is going to scare defenses into respecting him. they will press him and force him to beat them with his arm and pressure the crap out of himsure if you put Aaron Rodgers in our backfield then other teams will back off and respect the pass more because they know what he can do

Rookie QBs are successful on bad teams all the time now. Andrew Luck got drafted by a 2-14 team, Robert Griffin III a 5-11 team, Cam Newton a 2-14 team, Matthew Stafford a 0-16 team, Matt Ryan a 3-13 team, and so on. There's nothing so dismal about the Bucs that says they would screw a QB up any more than what these teams had going. Every QB that gets drafted in the top 5 is going to a bad team. That's why those teams had top 5 picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you get your QB he is worth a top 5 pick. It is that easy. The idea that you should "reserve" the too pick only for a Luck level prospect is wrong. Go back and redraft and in almost any scenario the QBs that are good are gonna go first because they are that valuable. The single biggest indicator of going to the playoffs is the good old fashioned passer rating.

Again, this isn't the argument I'm making.  My argument is that I don't think the guys that are eligible in this draft are worth that pick.  Yes, if there is a guy you believe that is worth it, you take him.  But this draft, in my opinion, doesn't have one... much like the 2013 draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not only what FRG said but whoever we draft in the first round probably isn’t going to singlehandedly make this a good team in 2015.  Some of you act like we are only going to have 1 pick in the next draft.  If we can get a QB that the organization thinks can be a franchise QB then you do it.  If we can’t then you look at BPA at some of those other positions in the first.  Pretty simple. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rookie QBs are successful on bad teams all the time now. Andrew Luck got drafted by a 2-14 team, Robert Griffin III a 5-11 team, Cam Newton a 2-14 team, Matthew Stafford a 0-16 team, Matt Ryan a 3-13 team, and so on. There's nothing so dismal about the Bucs that says they would screw a QB up any more than what these teams had going. Every QB that gets drafted in the top 5 is going to a bad team. That's why those teams had top 5 picks.

Mariotta is not an Andrew Luck type talent. you can also make an argument that our team is worse than all of the ones you listed by a wide wargin

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I listed plenty of other players who weren’t Andrew Luck.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I listed plenty of other players who weren't Andrew Luck.

and better pro prospects than Mariotta as well

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I listed plenty of other players who weren't Andrew Luck.

and better pro prospects than Mariotta as well

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe there's another QB, or two, in this class who will get evaluated as better than Mariota.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree there.  Obviously in an ideal world we'd draft a bunch of great players every year, but it's obvious that even when you have a premier front office you're going to miss on some picks, others will suffer career-ending injuries, etc.  That's why you have to have some kind of priority instead of blinding taking best available athlete.  I'm certainly not advocating that we ignore the all-world DT who inexplicably fell to us so we can draft the fourth-best guard in the draft, but not all positions are equally important; some have longer careers, some are harder to scout, some are easier to pick up in free agency, and some you can't get the most out of unless you have other positions squared away.  Blowing a high pick on an elite WR when we don't have the infrastructure to utilize him properly is a waste of a pick, IMHO. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly! Now how many really good QBs play on bad teams?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And they traded him for a shiny new college QB who ended up being pretty useless for the Bucs, They didn't let him develop and went with the next thing that looked sexy. Which strangely enough is exactly what we are seeing again now from members of this forum.

Except that Mike Glennon is now in his 2nd season and hasn't shown any promise that he's a franchise QB so far. He's shown himself to be merely fine, not elite. And if we are picking #1 or #2 in the draft again, shouldn't that reflect on his ability to be the guy? The points being made about the Steelers and Cowboys having good QBs and missing the playoffs are misguided and misplaced in this thread. Being a playoff team is different from having a franchise QB. If the Colts somehow missed the playoffs this year, would you realistically say that Andrew Luck isn't a franchise QB? No, being a playoff team requires not only good quarterback play but good everything else or at least complimentary pieces to a winning formula. Even if the Bucs took Mariota, I don't think any realistic fan on here is going to proclaim us a possible playoff team. We have other holes that need to be filled but getting a franchise QB should be one of our highest priorities since we don't have one right now.

Exactly. We're never making the playoffs with the worst qb in the division. Glennon scares nobody.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Come April I doubt Mariota is the top ranked QB.  This time last year it was all about Teddy! 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree there.  Obviously in an ideal world we'd draft a bunch of great players every year, but it's obvious that even when you have a premier front office you're going to miss on some picks, others will suffer career-ending injuries, etc.  That's why you have to have some kind of priority instead of blinding taking best available athlete.  I'm certainly not advocating that we ignore the all-world DT who inexplicably fell to us so we can draft the fourth-best guard in the draft, but not all positions are equally important; some have longer careers, some are harder to scout, some are easier to pick up in free agency, and some you can't get the most out of unless you have other positions squared away.  Blowing a high pick on an elite WR when we don't have the infrastructure to utilize him properly is a waste of a pick, IMHO.

straight BPA isn’t what FRG is advocating and yes every team has positions of greater importance and that has to be factored into your overall board and where you rank each player and well, if you don’t already have a top QB nothing trumps its importance.  now whether or not there will be a qb they assess as being worthy of our 1st round pick is another story.

Please wait…

• install

Participant

Come April I doubt Mariota is the top ranked QB.  This time last year it was all about Teddy!

.    He will be the top pick easily... 70 pct comp. / 4.42 in the 40./  6-4 220 lbs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

.    He will be the top pick easily... 70 pct comp. / 4.42 in the 40./  6-4 220 lbs

If only he were 225....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should draft Dan Bilzerian. Just sayin…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No we should wait until next year to draft a QB.  Next years class is always better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...and yet the Cowboys can't even win a playoff game ( when they even make the playoffs ) and the general opinion of fans in the league is that Romo sucks because he comes off looking like a choker in big games - even though it's probably not really his fault.Thanks for proving my point , dimwit . QB can't do it by himself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...and how do you prove they couldn't have been good if they weren't surrounded by crap ??Who's to say , for example , David Carr couldn't have become a good QB if he went to a good team instead of an expansion team , before any shred of confidence was pummeled out of him ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the reasoning for not drafting a QB #1 overall is the coaching staff would waste him, then why should we take anyone in the draft?

Because there are other players we can draft that actually fit Lovie's philosophy and what he likes to do .A spread option QB is not that guy . Sorry. We'd draft mariota and Lovie would still run up the middle on 1st and 2nd and set up 3rd and long.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...and yet the Cowboys can't even win a playoff game ( when they even make the playoffs ) and the general opinion of fans in the league is that Romo sucks.Thanks for proving my point , dimwit . QB can't do it by himself.

Resorting to name calling. I thought you were better than that. If you read one of my other posts you'll see where I said there are roughly 15-17 QBs good enough to make the playoffs each year so a few of them get left out. Once you get to the playoffs and almost all the teams have good QBs it comes down to who has the better teammates, coaching, schedule, and luck.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You thought I was above name-calling ?? You new here ? LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...and how do you prove they couldn't have been good if they weren't surrounded by crap ??Who's to say , for example , David Carr couldn't have become a good QB if he went to a good team instead of an expansion team , before any shred of confidence was pummeled out of him ?

I don't have to prove all the bad QBs were secretly good QBs who got ruined by bad teammates. That's your position. Good luck. I'll take Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and Peyton Manning and you can have David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, and Joey Harrington.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You thought I was above name-calling ?? You new here ? LOL

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol. I didn’t think there were any posters left that hadn’t been called a dimwit by DJ.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m still going with Dan B. At least it would be entertaining.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't have to prove all the bad QBs were secretly good QBs who got ruined by bad teammates. That's your position. Good luck. I'll take Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and Peyton Manning and you can have David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, and Joey Harrington.

Sure you need to prove it , otherwise your suggestion that " good QB's don't bust " is an outright lie. You argument is based on a fairy tale - We all live happily ever after. Well we don't.Are you really going to sit here and make the claim that a good QB never busted ?? That's idiotic , frankly. There are many good QB's who - due to poor coaching , bad talentless teams , injuries , etc. - have been labeled busts . Most never get another real chance . Some do but their confidence is ruined forever. Some like a Steve Young and an Alex Smith actually get it all turned around and become the good QB's they were supposed to be .Stop thinking like a simpleton . You make the dumbest arguments sometimes , like your, " We Should Have Built The Entire Offense Around Zuttah " argument. If you don't want to be called a dimwit then stop acting like one . A QB is not a one man team , and it's not even debatable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kinda hard to say. Overall record says no, but with how bad the defense is playing, there is a chance.Playing devil's advocate. what if Glennon ends up around 3500 yds, 25 tds 10 picks, but the Bucs still end up losing games 42-21 on avg? Is Glennon to blame if the defense gets bent over with no reach around?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kinda hard to say. Overall record says no, but with how bad the defense is playing, there is a chance.Playing devil's advocate. what if Glennon ends up around 3500 yds, 25 tds 10 picks, but the Bucs still end up losing games 42-21 on avg? Is Glennon to blame if the defense gets bent over with no reach around?

With our stupid ass fanbase? yes he gets blamed. he could throw for 400yds and 4 tds a game and this fanbase would still blame him for losses

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With our stupid ass fanbase? yes he gets blamed. he could throw for 400yds and 4 tds a game and this fanbase would still blame him for losses

Very true, and I certainly wasn't saying Glennon was void of blame in the loses, but this team is completely dysfunctional right now, from the punter all the way up to the ownership.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Speaking of next year, I wonder how Lovie will spin it when he talks about “we were a 4-12 team, and I made them a 2-14 team”. maybe something like “But by 2017 we’ll surpass that 4 win plateau that Schiano left”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

no not really. Have you read the Red board before?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they will go with LT or DE.But it should be Jameis Winston.Best QB prospect since Luck. Not close. Mariota is a Geno Smith 2.0 waiting to happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How many passes is he going to have to throw for those 3500 yards?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course. I see such gems as, "Glennon actually played well against Baltimore" and "Just check his stat line, he played solid" and "He had no factor into us losing". There are some pretty extreme examples on both ends of the spectrum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

maybe if you are just concentrating on a few posters, but you can't put the majority into the "400/4tds....he still sucks" camp and it not be an exaggeration to a few posters.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course. I see such gems as, "Glennon actually played well against Baltimore" and "Just check his stat line, he played solid" and "He had no factor into us losing". There are some pretty extreme examples on both ends of the spectrum.

I also saw plenty of blame heaped his way for the loss to New Orleans even though he did enough to win and the defense blew the game

Please wait…

• richhussey

Participant

He'll need about 635 more attempts this season (777 attempts for the whole season) to get to 3,500 yards. That's 63.5 attempts per game. His highest this season is 44 attempts in a game and he averages 39 attempts a game with a 57.04% completion ratio and 6.94 yards per attempt. No way he makes 3,500 yards at his current pace. Moose40 was doing more then playing devil's advocate. He was creating a fantasy story!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Obviously only 35 times in garbage time, he'll bomb out 100 yard cannon balls :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If there is a QB that everyone internally agrees is a franchise QB, you make the move.  I like Glennon, but I am not sure he is that franchise guy.  That being said, I am not a fan of Mariota.  I don’t think he has the arm talent, winston is talented, but has too many demons to be a high draft pick.  Not sure who else there is, but I go for elite talent high in the first at critical positions, WR, QB,LT,MLB,DE, then we get big and nasty the rest of the draft. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s a deep QB draft….Don't caught up in thw Winston and Mariota fapping circle....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs passing on Johnny Manziel was a very stupid move

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs passing on Johnny Manziel was a very stupid move

no it wasnt

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trenches trenches trenches.First 3 rounds need to secure a starting pass rusher, a starting tackle, and a starting guard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol…Manziel….what a joke.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would ave traded up for Bortles. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and we would still be 1 -5

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would ave traded up for Bortles.

and given up what? You would have probably had to move to number 1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

…and the Jags are 0-6 right now ….So much for "QB is all that matters"...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...and the Jags are 0-6 right now ....So much for "QB is all that matters"...

shhhhhdont go spreading that around. everyone thinks we're just a QB away despite the evidence to the contrary

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

shhhhhdont go spreading that around. everyone thinks we're just a QB away despite the evidence to the contrary

I don't think anyone thinks the Bucs are a QB away.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

link?I'm having a hard time remembering anyone saying that we are just a QB away. However, there have been those saying we need a QB, among other things.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are a QB away. It isn’t the ONLY missing link but we are without a playoff calibre QB right now. Again, play all the games you want but in the end until we get that guy we aren’t going to the playoffs anyways.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

link?I'm having a hard time remembering anyone saying that we are just a QB away. However, there have been those saying we need a QB, among other things.

There have been quite a few people in this thread saying that taking a QB will make us so much better over all other things.we might need a qb, we might not. i dont know how anyone here can properly judge Glennon considering how poor his supporting cast on both sides of the ball is. he might not be the answer but nobody can say for certain at this point. assessing a QB on a horrendous team is very had to dothe things i know for certain are that we absolutely need OL help, DL help, a FS, and LB help. those 4 positions are completely responsible for how poor this team is and we wont be able to form any good assessments of Glennon until we get better play in those areasi cant say QB is dragging us down because so many other things affect the QB positionwe need a defense that will stop losing games for us (New Orleans) a line that can protect the QB long enough to see if he can actually throw the ball (Baltimore game)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

QB has more impact than any other position.  Are you disputing that? And once sgain it’s about opportunity more than anything.  If we can get a QB that the powers that be believe can be a top QB in this league then you have to take it. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hasnt FRG’s entire argument been that QB makes everyone better all by himself ?Apparently Bortles hasnt got the memo , because at 0-6 there is a good shot they are picking higher next year than they did this year. Lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

QB has more impact than any other position.  Are you disputing that? And once sgain it's about opportunity more than anything.  If we can get a QB that the powers that be believe can be a top QB in this league then you have to take it.

Truth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are a QB away.

Hillarious.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's just the opposite. All you two and Escobar are doing is making the other side seem more extreme so you can argue it easier. However, that's not the case at all, no rational fan thinks this team is a QB away from being a playoff team, just like no Jacksonville fan thought they were a QB away from being  a playoff team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There have been quite a few people in this thread saying that taking a QB will make us so much better over all other things.we might need a qb, we might not. i dont know how anyone here can properly judge Glennon considering how poor his supporting cast on both sides of the ball is. he might not be the answer but nobody can say for certain at this point. assessing a QB on a horrendous team is very had to dothe things i know for certain are that we absolutely need OL help, DL help, a FS, and LB help. those 4 positions are completely responsible for how poor this team is and we wont be able to form any good assessments of Glennon until we get better play in those areasi cant say QB is dragging us down because so many other things affect the QB positionwe need a defense that will stop losing games for us (New Orleans) a line that can protect the QB long enough to see if he can actually throw the ball (Baltimore game)

Yep . We lose because we are always dominated at both lines of scrimmage. That is the core issue with this team . Has been for a decade now.I understand the longing . Who wouldn't love an Andrew Luck ?? It would make Sundays exciting . But football at the end of the day is won in the trenches . Make no mistake.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's just the opposite. All you two and Escobar are doing is making the other side seem more extreme so you can argue it easier. However, that's not the case at all, no rational fan thinks this team is a QB away from being a playoff team, just like no Jacksonville fan thought they were a QB away from being  a playoff team.

So in that case why does it matter in which order we fill our needs ?You can't get the stud OT and DE's unless you pick at the top of the draft either ? So why not take one ?Ask yourself this . Are we closer to being a playoff team if we put some stud lineman in front of Glennon , or are we closer  by tossing a rookie into our current dumpster fire with zero running game and zero protection ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But football at the end of the day is won in the trenches . Make no mistake.

I agree. Weird how this didn't apply to the first 3 games of the season. Seemed like the blame was being put on ONE player. What was his name again?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But football at the end of the day is won in the trenches . Make no mistake.

I agree. Weird how this didn't apply to the first 3 games of the season. Seemed like the blame was being put on ONE player. What was his name again?

It did apply . But regardless of protection , there is no excuse for doing things like this :tearsofmccown.0.gifHuge blunders is why McCown took so much heat . He didn't help a bad situation , he compounded it .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huge blunders is why McCown took so much heat . He didn't help a bad situation , he compounded it .

Glennon did the same last week. He compounded a crappy situation. My point is simply this; Why are the Glennonites asking for the same excuses that they refused to give when Josh was under center?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If first pick, trade back. pick up Beasley??(LB), and with picks move into a position to get Hundley for your QB.  I like Foster, but he is a better SLB.  We need another LB like David to man the middle in a defense like this.  As a SLB Foster might be just as good in coverage as our Nickelback. All I have read so far is that the OT prospects all have flaws compared to previous years and don't grade out to a top 10 pick, so you can wait till 2nd round or later.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huge blunders is why McCown took so much heat . He didn't help a bad situation , he compounded it .

Glennon did the same last week. He compounded a crappy situation. My point is simply this; Why are the Glennonites asking for the same excuses that they refused to give when Josh was under center?

If you honestly can't see the difference , I can't help you bro.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Something that keeps getting pushed under the rug:What is the point of drafting Mariota, when Lovie is the coach?Seriously, does anyone honestly think that would work? Lovie can blab on about having an athletc QB, but Mariota would shrivel up and die in Tampa. Lovie had a chance to sign Pryor, but kept Kafka instead....So what college QB prospects can handoff really really well?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is better. That's obvious. I think you're missing my point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Something that keeps getting pushed under the rug:What is the point of drafting Mariota, when Lovie is the coach?Seriously, does anyone honestly think that would work? Lovie can blab on about having an athletc QB, but Mariota would shrivel up and die in Tampa. Lovie had a chance to sign Pryor, but kept Kafka instead....So what college QB prospects can handoff really really well?

I guarantee Lovie would be the only coach dumb enough to acquire Mariota and not run a single read option play , or add it to the playbook .LOL. Waste of time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is better. That's obvious. I think you're missing my point.

Because the book of Josh McCown is already written, and we are still writting the forward to the book of Glennon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guarantee Lovie would be the only coach dumb enough to acquire Mariota and not run a single read option play , or add it to the playbook .LOL. Waste of time.

Then fire him! If we are picking #1 after all the changes he made, might as well start over.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously.  If we have a HC who doesn’t think QB is important them why was he hired to begin with?  Oh that’s right….he learned a lot watching games in his basement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then fire him! If we are picking #1 after all the changes he made, might as well start over.

This is the saddest part. No way that happens, a real shame. They will give him at least 3 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously.  If we have a HC who doesn't think QB is important them why was he hired to begin with?  Oh that's right....he learned a lot watching games in his basement.

We know why he was hired: PR, nostalgia, and ticket sales.Sad that those things don't equal wins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously.  If we have a HC who doesn't think QB is important them why was he hired to begin with?  Oh that's right....he learned a lot watching games in his basement.

S&B, I think we all know the answer. Moe, Larry and Shemp are too frickin stupid, and thought they would reinvent what their dad had, when Dungy was hired.Did Lovie's teacher Dungy value qb? Dilfer/Zeier/King seem to answer that question as no.

Please wait…

Viewing 218 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.