Viewing 43 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Talk now is that QB Teddy Bridgewater could fall to 2nd roundBy Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.comApril 17, 2014 4:30 pm ETteddy_zpse9aaf852.jpg (USATSI) As a junior at Louisville, Teddy Bridgewater completed 71 percent of his passes for 3,970 yards, 31 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. Back in January, he was widely considered the the best draft-eligible quarterback, and maybe even the best draft-eligble player.Now, after a disappointing pro day for Bridgewater and way too much time for the rest of us to think about what that means, we're talking about him as a second-round pick. Even NFL Network's Mike Mayock, one of the most respected draft experts around, dropped Bridgewater from No. 1 in his QB rankings from early March to No. 3 following Bridgewater's pro day (even though Mayock emphasizes all the time that pro days aren't the end-all, be-all evaluation tool).teddy1_zps9c24d2d1.gifAnd ESPN's Mel Kiper has taken it a step further. In his previous mock draft, Kiper had Bridgewater going No. 5 to the Raiders. Now? Bridgewater falls to ... No. 33.6f7265fb-58e1-4d23-b683-14bd1b30a5f9_zpsea6d18c4.gifteddy3_zps9abd268a.gifSo what does it mean?It's impossible to say, primarily because NFL teams can't be trusted this time of year, when misinformation. obfuscation and subterfuge are the names of the game, and we're left to decipher what, if anything, it all means.Maybe Bridgewater will fall to the second round. But we can't imagine it will be because of a mediocre pro day. (By the way, if that is the group-think mentality on Bridgewater, some team, immune to the madness, will draft him in the first round and probably be happy they did. We're looking at you, Cincinnati.)For what it's worth, CBSSports.com's Rob Rang still has Bridgewater as the top quarterback on his big board and the sixth-best player overall."There is no sense sugarcoating it, Bridgewater was disappointing during his March 17 pro day, showing less zip and accuracy than in any game I've seen over his three seasons as a starter for the Cardinals," Rang wrote this week. ..."A case of nerves with an estimated 100 scouts in attendance isn't enough to drop him from my top spot among quarterbacks, especially given that Bridgewater previously impressed with his poise and accuracy during big games. Due to his accuracy and success in a pro-style scheme that asked him to come to the line of scrimmage with multiple plays and pick the correct one based on the defense, I believe Bridgewater to be the most pro-ready quarterback of the class."That said, Rang, based on what he thinks NFL teams will do, has Blake Bortles (No. 1 to Houston), Johnny Manziel (No. 4 to Cleveland) and Derek Carr (No. 8 to Minnesota) going before Bridgewater in his latest mock draft. In fact, Bridgewater doesn't hear his name called until -- you guessed it -- the second round when the Rams finally summon him from the Aaron Rodgers memorial green room with the 37th pick.Make of this what you will but just know this: opinions on Bridgewater (and most other players) could swing wildly in any direction as the draft draws closer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just don’t see it happening. But yes, I would definitely take him in the 2nd. That’s if we didn’t go QB at 7 obviously.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man what a brutal beating this kid is taking!I mean I had concerns in watching him play, and he just looks so skinny to me.  His arm has never been much to write home about, except for the fact he is very accurate (except on scripted pro days with loads of pressure) in the mid-range area.  He has good pocket mobility, amazing toughness.He played some weaker comp, as well.Wouldn't mind if the Bucs took him, but his physical skillset is "meh"ish, to me.  But I get it.  Bucs need a QB, he potentially fills that void.  I just don't see superstar written on Teddy.  At all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No.  Maybe in the 7th if I wanted to convert him to wide receiver. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes but I also would take him at 7 in the first.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Funny…while his stock goes down, I saw Jaws say how he originally said He wouldn’t draft Manziel before the 3rd round but after watching more tape and seeing his pro day he has raised on his board. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jaws is a dumbass though and has Mettenberger highly ranked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridgewater’s fall is baffling.  How can every year the same moron teams fall in love with great pro days and ignore an entire career’s worth of tape.  You know who had great pro days Gabbert, Ponder and Locker, you know who had iffy pro days Matt Ryan and Cam Newton. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course.  He is or was at one point considered the #1 pick.  So his pro day and not competing at the Combine caused his drop.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridgewater's fall is baffling.  How can every year the same moron teams fall in love with great pro days and ignore an entire career's worth of tape.  You know who had great pro days Gabbert, Ponder and Locker, you know who had iffy pro days Matt Ryan and Cam Newton.

Bridgewater fall is baffling. But he doesn't fit every offense. His arm is pretty weak, but he accurate and shows great touch on his throws. I would take him beause of his fit in Tedford's offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t take him in the 5th………..has bust written all over him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a feeling by the time we get to 7 Manziel will be off the board…Trade back with ClevelandGet Pick 26 a second second a third and 4th rounderPick Bridgewater @ 26Steal of the draft

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I’m sure all 32 NFL teams will ignore the last two seasons of near flawless gametape and two mind numbingly good bowl performances because of a bad pro day and some iffy interviews.Bridgewater is the best prospect in this class and will thrive if he's not sent to one of the "pit of death" teams (Browns, Jags, Raiders).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well if football doesn't work out he can always be a mascot for pancake syrup.

I don't think he wants to take your job from you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I'm sure all 32 NFL teams will ignore the last two seasons of near flawless gametape and two mind numbingly good bowl performances because of a bad pro day and some iffy interviews.

If he falls that far, it won't be because of his pro day or interviews, it will be because he was never really that high to begin with to NFL teams. Those things might drop him a few spots, but they don't turn a top five pick into a second rounder. If he drops that far, it's because the media that talked about him as a potential #1 had a higher opinion of him and a more vocal medium than the NFL personnel people that don't broadcast their thoughts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he were to fall to the second I would take him in a heartbeat. However, I don’t see it happening.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is just making all these internet and media scouts look like a huge joke to me.  You watch him for the last 2 years and he is clearly the best passing QB in this draft class. The only QB that should be discussed as being picked before him should be Manziel because of his crazy mobility and they way he has put his entire team on his back and won games against good schools (and is also a real good passer)Mayock has lost a lot of the respect I had for him for moving Bridgewater down because of a proday. We have plenty of real football games to judge from. Pro day is absolutely meaningless when compared to real game footage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is just making all these internet and media scouts look like a huge joke to me.  You watch him for the last 2 years and he is clearly the best passing QB in this draft class. The only QB that should be discussed as being picked before him should be Manziel because of his crazy mobility and they way he has put his entire team on his back and won games against good schools (and is also a real good passer)Mayock has lost a lot of the respect I had for him for moving Bridgewater down because of a proday. We have plenty of real football games to judge from. Pro day is absolutely meaningless when compared to real game footage.

Agreed. At this point - and Kiper has said this - the mocks are based off what the analysts are hearing from GMs and such which, right now, is all smoke.Agreed on Mayock too. Very disappointing. Daniel Jeremiah is the former scout I probably pay most attention to. He has Teddy slipping also - while keeping him his top QB - because of what he is hearing around the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But if Teddy is there at 7 or our second rounder, I’m running to the podium.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Personally I like him for our first rounder….. So hell yeah, I’d be literally standing behind the commish as he announced the previous pick to go ahead, give him the card and not waste everyone’s time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jaws is a dumbass though and has Mettenberger highly ranked.

Mettenberger is as good as it gets in this draft. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just say noooooooo.  Not impressed at all…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Personally I like him for our first rounder..... So hell yeah, I'd be literally standing behind the commish as he announced the previous pick to go ahead, give him the card and not waste everyone's time.

LOLz

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just say noooooooo.  Not impressed at all...

Agree.  He reminds me of Josh Johnson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridgewater's fall is baffling.  How can every year the same moron teams fall in love with great pro days and ignore an entire career's worth of tape.  You know who had great pro days Gabbert, Ponder and Locker, you know who had iffy pro days Matt Ryan and Cam Newton.

Bridgewater fall is baffling. But he doesn't fit every offense. His arm is pretty weak, but he accurate and shows great touch on his throws. I would take him beause of his fit in Tedford's offense.

I'd say average arm strength, but not weak. Besides,  his arm strength is sure to grow. Aaron Rodgers' throws might just have the most velocity in the league, yet he isnt built like Cam or Kap. He has nearly flawless technique and uses his entire body perfectly to get great "zip" on the ball. Not only will Teddy get stronger when put in an NFL strength and conditioning program, he will also have his technique and throwing motion tweaked to try and get him at 100% capacity on those throws. None of these QBs in this draft have a cannon for an arm. They all will need to be developed and strengthened. The good thing about bringing Teddy to Tampa would be that he could work with the coach who most likely helped to shape Rodgers into the machine of a passer that he is today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What did Freeman teach us?  This is what I learned….if you have to keep making excuses for a player he probably just sucks. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman taught us to never go full retard. A lesson you might want to go back and review. ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What did Freeman teach us?  This is what I learned....if you have to keep making excuses for a player he probably just sucks.

More and more college players are ready to play in the pros day one. Training techniques have improved, conditioning is better, competition is stronger week in and week out.  I completely agree that if you are making an excuse for a player in the pros then more often than not anymore you need to cast him aside.  Rodgers is an outlier, but largely, there is no developmental time.  Get out there and play.  It's why a second contract for a RB is becoming a rarity. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridgewater doesn’t need excuses for his play.  Everything else is white noise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Teams or media? You do realize that its the media that is waffling on this kid. A lot of teams had their minds made up a while back on this guy. I wouldn't be surprised that teams are leaking information to try and get him to drop but its the media and fans that are back and forth on him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridgewater will not make it to the 2nd round.  Worst case scenario he will get taken by a team with an aging star QB (like NO or NE) and they will let him learn and grow for a few seasons like Green Bay did with Rodgers behind Favre.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It would be in Bridgewater’s best interest to fall to the second round rather than the end of the first. On the other hand, if the Bucs are interested (and pass at #7), I could see them trading up in front of, say, Cleveland at the end of the first.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It would be in Bridgewater's best interest to fall to the second round rather than the end of the first. On the other hand, if the Bucs are interested (and pass at #7), I could see them trading up in front of, say, Cleveland at the end of the first.

Disagree.  The best scenario for him would be late first, then he would be going to a team with a franchise QB.  And they could bring him along slowly. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It would be in Bridgewater's best interest to fall to the second round rather than the end of the first. On the other hand, if the Bucs are interested (and pass at #7), I could see them trading up in front of, say, Cleveland at the end of the first.

Disagree.  The best scenario for him would be late first, then he would be going to a team with a franchise QB.  And they could bring him along slowly.

But I read on this very board that teams no longer do this - first round picks must play - so confusing.... lol - thanks for the post AJ

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Teams or media? You do realize that its the media that is waffling on this kid. A lot of teams had their minds made up a while back on this guy. I wouldn't be surprised that teams are leaking information to try and get him to drop but its the media and fans that are back and forth on him.

Agreed, I'd like to think teams are more interested in his game film than what he did in shorts at his pro day. I think this is a case of the media waffling and the rest of us assuming he'll free fall. I've been wrong once before, so maybe the guy drops... but I personally think he still goes top ten. I mean I just can't see Minny passing on him if he's there at 8....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What did Freeman teach us?  This is what I learned....if you have to keep making excuses for a player he probably just sucks.

Funny that you say that because Freeman is the exact reason why a year ago I wished it were possible for the Bucs to get Bridgewater. He's strengths are exactly what Freemans weaknesses were. Freeman was not accurate in the short to intermediate passing game, locked on to mainly one side of the field, telegraphed everything was his eyes, and was easy for the defense to read. Bridgewater is the exact opposite of that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty sure you were told top 10 picks must start , Dbuc

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The same fans that dont think a QB should start, that he should be brought along slowly, are the ones that will be screaming for him to come in right away.  Our fan base is so QB starved that they will wish for things that are far more damning to the franchise than keeping a second year QB in the mix that had 19 tis and 9 picks. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t recall that DJ.  You might be right – I just don’t recall that. And for me 10lb - I have only seen a couple of rookie qbs that should have been on the field right away.  So no, the same fans that don't think a qb should start right away...  (in the top 10 or not) won't all be a fit for your statement. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would draft him with our first pick

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't recall that DJ.  You might be right - I just don't recall that. And for me 10lb - I have only seen a couple of rookie qbs that should have been on the field right away.  So no, the same fans that don't think a qb should start right away...  (in the top 10 or not) won't all be a fit for your statement.

Not you specifically but those that are Lemmings to local radio or other media outlets.  QB (regardless of the cap with the new CBA) has to come in and be ready to play day one.  If you think you have a franchise QB you draft him with the understanding that he will be ready and succeed with roughly three months preparation.  If you dont feel that way about the QB then you dont draft him with the #7 pick overall.  It's not your grandpa's NFL, 1st round QBs play day one or they aren't first round QBs. Aaron Rodgers happened like 9 years ago so please spare me.

Please wait…

• majbodoh

Participant

If he falls to us in the second it would be tough to pass on a talented QB like Bridgewater. He could benefit from sitting on the bench for a season or two behind McCown, while the coaching staff help him develop. But if he did come here and beat out McCown and Glennon, then great. Either way grabbing him in the second gets us a talented QB and will allow the team to either grab a big weapon like Evans, a stud defense guy like Barr, or a O-Lineman like Matthews.I think it would be a good move if it happened. But I think he may end up going in the first round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed, I'd like to think teams are more interested in his game film than what he did in shorts at his pro day. I think this is a case of the media waffling and the rest of us assuming he'll free fall. I've been wrong once before, so maybe the guy drops... but I personally think he still goes top ten. I mean I just can't see Minny passing on him if he's there at 8....

Supposedly, the Vikes have Bortles as their #1 target.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Supposedly, the Vikes have Bortles as their #1 target.

Makes me wonder if the report that the Bucs love Bortles got out there to entice them to trade ahead of us and let a good player drop?

Please wait…

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.