Viewing 76 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

2005 NFL Draft do-over: San Francisco 49ers get Aaron Rodgers By Bucky Brooks NFL Media analyst    NFL.comPublished:  March 30, 2014 at 01:52 p.m. cadillac-williams-24-2008-nfl-oakland-raiders-s5IfxU_zpsc4f2dd04.jpgThere's nothing like reviewing previous drafts to see where NFL evaluators got it right or wrong on draft day. Although there are several factors that determine whether a prospect plays up to expectations, it's a little fun to reshuffle the deck based on the information that we have now about the players and teams at that time. Here's how I would re-do the 2005 NFL Draft if I had a crystal ball and a magic wand:1. San Francisco 49ers Pick: Alex Smith, QB Do-Over: Aaron Rodgers, QB Comment: If the 49ers could do it all again, I'm pretty sure Rodgers would get the nod in this debate. The former Super Bowl MVP has crushed it since stepping into the starting lineup, and emerged as possibly the best quarterback in football. 2. Miami Dolphins Pick: Ronnie Brown, RB Do-Over: DeMarcus Ware, LB Comment: Ware will go down as one of the most disruptive defenders in NFL history following a decorated career that features 100-plus sacks and 32 forced fumbles. He would've elevated the Dolphins defense and put fear in hearts of offensive coordinators in the AFC.3. Cleveland Browns Pick: Braylon Edwards, WR Do-Over: Roddy White, WR Comment: White was a slight surprise as a first-round selection at the time, but he has proven to be one of the top playmakers at his position throughout his career. With a gritty style that would've earned kudos from the "Dawg Pound", White would've been a nice fit in Cleveland.4. Chicago Bears Pick: Cedric Benson, RB Do-Over: Frank Gore, RB Comment: Gore, the five-time Pro Bowler, is unquestionably one of the top backs in NFL history. He is the bell cow the Bears desperately wanted in Benson, but is a more consistent and explosive performer than his counterpart.MarionBarberAqibTalibDallasCowboysvmO59fulsWill_zps3ff98625.jpg5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Pick: Cadillac Williams, RB Do-Over: Marion Barber III, RB Comment: If the Buccaneers were looking for a tough, physical running back to anchor the running game, it's hard to dispute taking Barber at this pick. The former Pro Bowler bullied opponents with his hard-nosed running style over a solid seven-year career. 6. Tennessee Titans Pick: Adam "Pacman" Jones, CB Do-Over: Antrel Rolle, DB Comment: Rolle didn't cut the mustard as a pure cover corner, but his versatility at safety has made him a perennial Pro Bowler at the position.7. Minnesota Vikings Pick: Troy Williamson, WR Do-Over: Vincent Jackson, WR Comment: The Vikings whiffed on Williamson as Randy Moss' replacement. Jackson is definitely not on Moss' level, but the big-bodied pass catcher has emerged as one of the top receivers in the NFL. 8. Arizona Cardinals Pick: Antrel Rolle, DB Do-Over: Carlos Rogers, DB Comment: Rogers has flown under the radar for most of his career, but his sticky cover skills would've served the Cardinals well against NFC West competition.9. Washington Redskins Pick: Carlos Rogers, DB Do-Over: Shawne Merriman, LB Comment: Merriman was arguably the league's most explosive pass rusher from 2005-2007 until injuries robbed him of his athleticism and power.10. Detroit Lions Pick: Mike Williams, WR Do-Over: Heath Miller, TE Comment: Williams flamed out quickly in Detroit due to immaturity and weight issues. Miller would've been the perfect complement to Calvin Johnson on the outside, and given Stafford a dependable weapon to rely on in key situations. 11. Dallas Cowboys Pick: DeMarcus Ware, LB Do-Over: Cameron Wake, DE Comment: Wake is a high-energy pass rusher with the speed, quickness and athleticism to wreak havoc off the edges. While he is not quite up to Ware's level, Wake's numbers are near the top of the charts over the past few seasons. 12. San Diego Chargers Pick: Shawne Merriman, LB Do-Over: Derrick Johnson, LB Comment: Johnson's career got off a slow start in Kansas City, but he would've shined in a Chargers defense designed to funnel the action to the inside linebacker. 13. New Orleans Saints Pick: Jammal Brown, OT Do-Over: Same Comment: Brown was one of the best offensive tackles in the game for a three-year period in the middle of his career. 14. Carolina Panthers Pick: Thomas Davis, DB Do-Over: Same Comment: Davis overcame three torn ACL injuries to become a stalwart on the one of the best defenses in the NFL.15. Kansas City Chiefs Pick: Derrick Johnson, LB Do-Over: Alex Smith, QB Comment: Smith's steady hand and superb leadership skills would've helped the Chiefs continue their winning ways long before 2013. 16. Houston Texans Pick: Travis Johnson, DT Do-Over: Chris Myers, G Comment: It's rare for a team to pull the trigger on an interior lineman at this point of the draft, but Meyers has proven his worth as a two-time Pro Bowler for the Texans.17. Cincinnati Bengals Pick: David Pollack, LB Do-Over: Adam "Pacman" Jones, CB Comment: Marvin Lewis helped Jones grow into a solid playmaker and citizen in Cincinnati. Jones would've likely fulfilled his immense potential if he had arrived in the Queen City earlier in his career. 18. Minnesota Vikings Pick: Erasmus James, DE Do-Over: Justin Tuck, DE Comment: Tuck has been a steady playmaker and leader throughout his career. He would've added a different dimension to a talented frontline in Minnesota. 19. St. Louis Rams Pick: Alex Barron, OT Do-Over: Marcus Spears,DT Comment: Barron was a complete bust in St. Louis, so I'm sure the Rams' brass would've kindly taken a dependable defender like Spears in a do-over.20. Dallas Cowboys Pick: Marcus Spears, DT Do-Over: Jay Ratliff, DE Comment: To the Cowboys' credit, the team selected Ratliff in the seventh round of the 2005 draft. Based on his career production as a four-time Pro Bowler, he would be viewed as one of the top defenders in the draft in a re-do.21. Jacksonville Jaguars Pick: Matt Jones, WR Do-Over: Evan Mathis, G Comment: The Jaguars incorrectly gambled on Jones' supreme athleticism translating into exceptional production as a receiver. Given another shot, the Jaguars would draft a solid interior blocker like Mathis to fortify the offensive line.22. Baltimore Ravens Pick: Mark Clayton, WR Do-Over: Cedric Benson, RB Comment: Benson didn't play up to expectations in Chicago, but he was certainly talented enough to be a difference maker in the right environment.23. Oakland Raiders Pick: Fabian Washington, CB Do-Over: Logan Mankins, G Comment: The late Al Davis had an appreciation for tough, hard-nosed players. Mankins definitely fits the bill as a tenacious interior blocker with a nasty disposition.24. Green Bay Packers Pick: Aaron Rodgers, QB Do-Over: Nick Collins, FS Comment: The Packers' original second-round selection was one of the best safeties in the NFL during his prime. Injuries prematurely ended Collins' career, but he definitely made his mark as a ball hawk in Green Bay. 25. Washington Redskins Pick: Jason Campbell, QB Do-Over: Matt Cassel, QB Comment: It's hard to justify taking a college backup quarterback with zero snaps in the first round, but Cassel has proven to be a capable NFL starter during his career.26. Seattle Seahawks Pick: Chris Spencer, C Do-Over: Brandon Browner, DB Comment: As one of the original members of the "Legion of Boom", Browner would've been a welcome addition to the Seahawks' secondary as a top pick. 27. Atlanta Falcons Pick: Roddy White, WR Do-Over: Ronnie Brown, RB Comment: Brown's versatility as a runner/receiver would've been enhanced in a Falcons offense built around the talents of a feature back. 28. San Diego Chargers Pick: Luis Castillo, DE Do-Over: Braylon Edwards, WR Comment: Say what you want about Edwards' quirky ways, the big-bodied receiver certainly possessed the talent to be one of best receivers in the game during his time. Although he never fully lived up to the hype, the Chargers would've welcomed the presence of a Pro Bowl receiver on the perimeter to help Philip Rivers reach his potential.29. Indianapolis Colts Pick: Marlin Jackson, DB Do-Over: Corey Webster, DB Comment: Webster carved out a nice career as a cover corner for the New York Giants. He would've been a nice addition to the Colts' secondary.30. Pittsburgh Steelers Pick: Heath Miller, TE Do-Over: Michael Roos, OT Comment: Roos has quietly played at a Pro Bowl level for years, yet is rarely recognized for his efforts. He would've solidified the Steelers' biggest offensive weakness for the past decade with his presence at left tackle. 31. Philadelphia Eagles Pick: Mike Patterson, DT Do-Over: Trent Cole, DE Comment: The Eagles nabbed Cole in the fifth round of the 2005 draft, but the two-time Pro Bowler has certainly exceeded those expectations with his dominant play throughout his career. 32. New England Patriots Pick: Logan Mankins, G Do-Over: Brandon Jacobs, RB Comment: Imagine a big, powerful runner like Jacobs in the backfield to complement Tom Brady's pinpoint passing skills.Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

HATE would. That is/was his favorite Buc of all time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Aaron Rodgers is by far the best player long term on that list if you ask me. Caddy got his shoes in the HOF first. Seemed like Gruden's only goal was to try to run Caddy into the ground. No biggie. I'm sure Gruden would have head f'#@!ed Rodgers just like he did Simms anyway. Would have probably been thrown into the fire and flamed out and then gone elsewhere to win a Superbowl.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow that’s a tough question ….really tough .giphy.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nope… VJax, merriman, Derrick Johnson, mankins

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never wanted Caddy, but I do wonder if he would have been a better back without the injuries that robbed him of his speed. If I had to ‘do-over’ I think I’d take Marcus Spears or DeMarcus Ware.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How in the blue hell do we take Marion Barber with our “re-do” pick? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How in the blue hell do we take Marion Barber with our "re-do" pick?

Right? We get the advantage of hindsight and we are gonna use that 5th pick on another RB? One that never had 1000 yards and his body broke down very quickly? Pretty fucking stupid.Jay Ratliff, Justin Tuck, Logan Mankins, Evan Mathis, and Cameron Wake are all still on the board in this redo....and we take Marion Barber? Lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right? We get the advantage of hindsight and we are gonna use that 5th pick on another RB? One that never had 1000 yards and his body broke down very quickly? Pretty **CENSORED**ing stupid.Jay Ratliff, Justin Tuck, Logan Mankins, Evan Mathis, and Cameron Wake are all still on the board in this redo....and we take Marion Barber? Lol.

Yea, so were Vincent Jackson and Shawn Merriman.  I realize "Lights Out" had a shorter career than everyone would have liked, but even that would have been a better pick than Marion Barber.  Jeez...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right? We get the advantage of hindsight and we are gonna use that 5th pick on another RB? One that never had 1000 yards and his body broke down very quickly? Pretty **CENSORED**ing stupid.Jay Ratliff, Justin Tuck, Logan Mankins, Evan Mathis, and Cameron Wake are all still on the board in this redo....and we take Marion Barber? Lol.

I think they would still have to take a RB.  Remember the RB situation at the time…..the cupboard was pretty bare.  I’m not advocating Barber, just what was needed at the time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they would still have to take a RB.  Remember the RB situation at the time.....the cupboard was pretty bare.  I'm not advocating Barber, just what was needed at the time.

We had Pittman, Earnest Graham, and Mike Alstott. Zero reason to take a RB in the top 5. Also, if we had just paid Thomas Jones and kept him....we'd of had no need to draft a RB at all. We didn't do that though. We let him walk and signed 73 year old Charlie Garner to a fat contract instead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With guys like Merriman and Tuck on board I wouldn’t draft any rb there. Marion Barber? Really???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Caddy was electric before his knee got rolled up under him. I still hate what happened to his career. So unfortunate. Probably would take him again but manage him better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was average. Point is. A running back in the top 20 is bad value. A running back in the top 5 is just hilariously bad value. So whether it was Caddy or the Barbarian, whether it was a need or not, it doesn't matter. It's just bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Derrick Johnson is also a beast for the Chiefs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they would still have to take a RB.  Remember the RB situation at the time.....the cupboard was pretty bare.  I'm not advocating Barber, just what was needed at the time.

We had Pittman, Earnest Graham, and Mike Alstott. Zero reason to take a RB in the top 5. Also, if we had just paid Thomas Jones and kept him....we'd of had no need to draft a RB at all. We didn't do that though. We let him walk and signed 73 year old Charlie Garner to a fat contract instead.

JDouble, I think you're the one guy that's as pi$$ed as me with the way we did Thomas Jones. Gruden hand fed Pittman the hedgehog the ball and threw Jones in the doghouse, so he signed with Chicago the first minutes of free agency. We should have had him as our feature back for the next 5 years. He was as productuve as there was in the league during that time. Instead, we spun wheels on Caddy and haven't been right since we got Doug Martin.No WAY we take Caddy witht that pick again. So many better names already mentioned here, including Vincent Jackson. No way we take Barber either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It looks like the author tried to stick with the original position if possible

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It looks like the author tried to stick with the original position if possible

Possibly, but 20/32 were different positions.  If that was the case, I think I would have rather had Ronnie Brown over Barber.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Caddy was electric before his knee got rolled up under him.

No he wasn't. He was average, at best.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JDouble, I think you're the one guy that's as pi$$ed as me with the way we did Thomas Jones. Gruden hand fed Pittman the hedgehog the ball and threw Jones in the doghouse, so he signed with Chicago the first minutes of free agency. We should have had him as our feature back for the next 5 years. He was as productuve as there was in the league during that time. Instead, we spun wheels on Caddy and haven't been right since we got Doug Martin.

Lol @ JDub being "the one guy as pissed at you". I've been beating this drum for years.Not only did we allow Jones to leave, but we gave Garner more money.....a few weeks removed from knee surgery.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JDouble, I think you're the one guy that's as pi$$ed as me with the way we did Thomas Jones. Gruden hand fed Pittman the hedgehog the ball and threw Jones in the doghouse, so he signed with Chicago the first minutes of free agency. We should have had him as our feature back for the next 5 years. He was as productuve as there was in the league during that time. Instead, we spun wheels on Caddy and haven't been right since we got Doug Martin.

Lol @ JDub being "the one guy as pissed at you". I've been beating this drum for years.Not only did we allow Jones to leave, but we gave Garner more money.....a few weeks removed from knee surgery.

My bad Hate, you're allowed in the club too.The icing on that crap cake was wtaching Sapp run down grandpa Garner from behind when we played Oakland.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The icing on that crap cake was wtaching Sapp run down grandpa Garner from behind when we played Oakland.

lol, ridiculous!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Crack-a-lack sucked hard core.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Gruden/Allen regime had it tough at first because of the picks given up for Gruden, but when we finally had high picks again we drafted Mike Clayton and Carnell Williams and passed on Aaron Rodgers. That is why they are no longer here. Zero team building ability from those guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As soon as read the title…  Um, hate?…  Er, uh, um,…  What?  Lol.I think this was part of an evil plan...  :)Didn't look at thread otherwise, but in answer to the question...  No.VJax would have been the guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was average. Point is. A running back in the top 20 is bad value. A running back in the top 5 is just hilariously bad value. So whether it was Caddy or the Barbarian, whether it was a need or not, it doesn't matter. It's just bad.

All that is true NOW.  But 9-10 years ago, not so much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You don’t take the 2nd best rb on a college team with the 5th pick… especially a one-dimensional oft-injured back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JD,The reason I said the cupboard was bare is at that point, Pittman was a "run into the lineman/fall down" back, Alstott was never the same after his neck injury and the coaches only viewed him as a FB (don't agree with that) and Graham had never started a game and was not viewed as a starter by the coaches.I agree they should have been more aggressive with Thomas Jones, but that shipped had sailed by the time the draft was happening.The leadership felt they needed a RB and given the same situation I think they would draft one again.....probably not Caddy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Gruden/Allen regime had it tough at first because of the picks given up for Gruden, but when we finally had high picks again we drafted Mike Clayton and Carnell Williams and passed on Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah.  The Bucs were the only team in the NFL to pass on Rodgers.  And they also passed on Tom Brady when he came out.  Idiots.  Thank God the Bucs turned it around and picked Josh Freeman after getting rid of those fools.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden would have never picked Freeman that’s for damn sure. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Graham had never started a game and was not viewed as a starter by the coaches.

Who's fault is that??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's fault is that??

Graham wasted a lot of time in the NFL, he was a stiff arm having, breakaway running little train that could.  Love Earnest Graham.  Man, he was snubbed because Carnell and his pay/draft position.  And a Coach who couldn't find a way to play AB and Joey at the same time.  That has always cafused me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's fault is that??

Hate,The point I was making is that was the situation....not whether it was right.  I believe Coach Gruden admitted that he made a mistake not using Graham sooner.  But, at the point of the draft he had not been used.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And a Coach who couldn't find a way to play AB and Joey at the same time.  That has always cafused me.

Dude, as crazy as you have been over the years, the one thing I respected about you was that you had your own opinion.  It's sad to see you have been brain washed by the mindless minions now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden would have never picked Freeman that's for damn sure.

Peyton Manning would be the Bucs starting QB right now had they kept Gruden.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's fault is that??

Dominik's first move was to bring in Derrick Ward to replace Graham.  That was far worse than not recognizing Graham's talent before he had played some games.  Graham doesn't look that great in practice, but he steps it up on game day.  Graham was a proven back when Heemy and Dominik took over and they cast him aside for a garbage running back from the Giants who had good stats only because he ran through huge holes one year on the Giants.  One of the many dumb moves by Dominik/Heemy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's fault is that??

Dominik's first move was to bring in Derrick Ward to replace Graham.  That was far worse than not recognizing Graham's talent before he had played some games.  Graham doesn't look that great in practice, but he steps it up on game day.  Graham was a proven back when Heemy and Dominik took over and they cast him aside for a garbage running back from the Giants who had good stats only because he ran through huge holes one year on the Giants.  One of the many dumb moves by Dominik/Heemy.

Lol @ "Lucky Larry". Which alias is this, #15-16?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden would still be the coach had he started Luke McCown all of 2008 instead of switching back and forth between Garcia and Griese all season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden would still be the coach had he started Luke McCown all of 2008 instead of switching back and forth between Garcia and Griese all season.

LOL sure

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL sure

Sucks to admit when your team wasted a Super Bowl season on two old scrub quarterbacks because the head coach didn't have a set of balls.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JD,The reason I said the cupboard was bare is at that point, Pittman was a "run into the lineman/fall down" back, Alstott was never the same after his neck injury and the coaches only viewed him as a FB (don't agree with that) and Graham had never started a game and was not viewed as a starter by the coaches.I agree they should have been more aggressive with Thomas Jones, but that shipped had sailed by the time the draft was happening.The leadership felt they needed a RB and given the same situation I think they would draft one again.....probably not Caddy.

Even if we had zero RBs on our roster, taking a RB with the #5 pick was stupid. Especially when he split snaps in college and wasn't even the best RB on his team. There is no logical way to defend that pick. It was just horrible no matter what angle you view it from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucky Brooks needs to be murdered for the shitty player he assigned to Bucs. Don’t get me wrong, Barber was no scrub, but compared Wake, Jackson, Merriman, Mankins, he is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if we had zero RBs on our roster, taking a RB with the #5 pick was stupid. Especially when he split snaps in college and wasn't even the best RB on his team. There is no logical way to defend that pick. It was just horrible no matter what angle you view it from.

definitely not defending the Williams pick, but given the circumstances they would probably still take a RB.  IMO when these re-drafts are done, you should still have to look at the situation at the time of the draft.  Revisionist history should have some reality in it.  But that is just my opinion and you are entitled to something different.  It doesn’t make either one of us right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL sure

Sucks to admit when your team wasted a Super Bowl season on two old scrub quarterbacks because the head coach didn't have a set of balls.

That scrub McCown couldn't beat out any of those dudes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

definitely not defending the Williams pick, but given the circumstances they would probably still take a RB.  IMO when these re-drafts are done, you should still have to look at the situation at the time of the draft.  Revisionist history should have some reality in it.  But that is just my opinion and you are entitled to something different.  It doesn't make either one of us right.

If youre determined to take a RB then Frank Gore in Rd3 or Darren Sproles in Rd 4 were much better picks than Williams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

definitely not defending the Williams pick, but given the circumstances they would probably still take a RB.  IMO when these re-drafts are done, you should still have to look at the situation at the time of the draft.  Revisionist history should have some reality in it.  But that is just my opinion and you are entitled to something different.  It doesn't make either one of us right.

If youre determined to take a RB then Frank Gore in Rd3 or Darren Sproles in Rd 4 were much better picks than Williams.

Exactly. That year alone we could have taken a RB in the middle rounds and had Gore, Sproles, or Marion the Barbarian. Perfect example of why it was such a stupid pick. It hasn't been good value to take a RB in the top 20 since the early 80s.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In 2004 Pittman had 1,317 total yards and 10 TDs in 13 games. In 2005 he had a 6.2 ypc.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In 2004 Pittman had 1,317 total yards and 10 TDs in 13 games. In 2005 he had a 6.2 ypc.

hmmm . .  wonder why you chose those specific stats?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Use to get so pissed off watching Pittman. His feet always moved so fast but his body didn’t actually go anywhere. Then he would trip over his own shadow and I’d throw beer cans at the TV.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember not liking how Pittman played when he was active, but when you look back at his numbers in hindsight, they were surprisingly good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because we drafted a RB #5 overall in 2005. Was just reading some of the earlier comments and someone was downplaying Pittman like he was just another guy at the point. 2004-2006 he averaged 4.7 ypc and was one of the top receiving backs in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because we drafted a RB #5 overall in 2005. Was just reading some of the earlier comments and someone was downplaying Pittman like he was just another guy at the point. 2004-2006 he averaged 4.7 ypc and was one of the top receiving backs in the league.

right, but you tried to make that point with selective stats . .  just like in the follow up, right?  I am just guessing, but how many yards did he run for in 2004?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

right, but you tried to make that point with selective stats . .  just like in the follow up, right?  I am just guessing, but how many yards did he run for in 2004?

I think his point was total rushing yards are a function of quantity of rushing attempts which is affected by coaching decisions. We all know Pittman didn't get a ton of carries, but he was very productive when he did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pittman fumbled a lot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you're going to draft a RB at #5 you're not supposed to factor in how your RB played the season before?And he ran for 926 yards on 219 carries (4.2 ypc) in 13 games in 2004.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think his point was total rushing yards are a function of quantity of rushing attempts which is affected by coaching decisions. We all know Pittman didn't get a ton of carries, but he was very productive when he did.

yeah, I see that now, but what was the thought about RB at the time? I thought there was a view that the Bucs kept getting stop-gap runners and that Pittman had off-field issues and so there was some talk about need for a "feature" RB?  I don't recall exactly, but when I looked it up Pittman did run for over 900 yards in 2004, so that wasn't awful

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pittman fumbled a lot.

haha, nice correction

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah, I see that now, but what was the thought about RB at the time? I thought there was a view that the Bucs kept getting stop-gap runners and that Pittman had off-field issues and so there was some talk about need for a "feature" RB?  I don't recall exactly, but when I looked it up Pittman did run for over 900 yards in 2004, so that wasn't awful

All running backs are stopgap runners, but I suppose at the time more and more people thought the team should have a "franchise" runner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pittman fumbled a lot.

And ironically Cadillac fumbled in FG range, it was returned for a TD and we lost a playoff game by 7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I loved Pittman.  Four yards a pop, caught everything thrown his way, blocked like a lineman.And the Superbowl performance was awesome.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pittman’s weakness was the primary function of a Running Back – RUNNING the ball. He was absolutely TERRIBLE at it. HORRIBLE. One of the worst I’ve ever seen, ever.He was very good at everything else though - blocking, picking up blitzes, catching out of the backfield. Terrific at all that stuff.I could never overlook the fact that he was an awful ball carrier. It was the same crap we heard in defense of Stone Hands Clayton - "he's a great blocker." Yeah, but primary function of a receiver is to catch the ball, and if you can't do that then you better switch positions to a blocking TE and stop masquerading as a WR.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Caddy went something like 700+ carries without a 20 yard run.  WTF?  Horrible pick.  Dude was glass and was slower than slow.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8FDeKnnY7Qhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQj6kNioqs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would re draft drafted him, maybe just given him a lot less carries in his third year.  He looked like a slam dunk in his first season. And yeah he had a sophomore slump, but it wasn’t until after halfway through his third season, and a terrible injury, that is play declined for good. Take a look at some of his early achievements:Williams rushed for 434 yards in his first three weeks, setting records as the first rookie running back to ever have three consecutive 100 yard games, rushing for the most yards in the first three weeks of a career.Williams was also named rookie of the week for the first three weeks of the season.Williams averaged over 100 yards in each of his final four games of 2005.Williams tallied six 100-yard games in 14 starts.Williams was named rookie of the month for September 2005.Williams was awarded the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2005.Williams was announced as NFL.com's NFL Rookie of the Year Award in 2005.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would re draft drafted him, maybe just given him a lot less carries in his third year.  He looked like a slam dunk in his first season. And yeah he had a sophomore slump, but it wasn't until after halfway through his third season, and a terrible injury, that is play declined for good. Take a look at some of his early achievements:Williams rushed for 434 yards in his first three weeks, setting records as the first rookie running back to ever have three consecutive 100 yard games, rushing for the most yards in the first three weeks of a career.Williams was also named rookie of the week for the first three weeks of the season.Williams averaged over 100 yards in each of his final four games of 2005.Williams tallied six 100-yard games in 14 starts.Williams was named rookie of the month for September 2005.Williams was awarded the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2005.Williams was announced as NFL.com's NFL Rookie of the Year Award in 2005.

Caddy was absolutely a good draft pick.  I'm with ya.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It is all about what he did for his career.He got hurt, he ran for less than 4 a carry, and wasn't a reliable offensive weapon.Lot of heart.But calling him average is pushing it...Graham was twice the back Carnell was.  That is true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Williams rushed for 434 yards in his first three weeks, setting records as the first rookie running back to ever have three consecutive 100 yard games, rushing for the most yards in the first three weeks of a career.

Only reason he had that yardage is because he had 88 fuggin carries in his first three games. Then he missed three games because his broken down ass was hurt already, and then he was average. He managed just 4.1 yards per carry that year and that was the ONLY year his average was above 4 yards. Spare me the amazing feat of his first three games cause it was nonsense. He didn't have an amazing YPC or lots of TDs. He just had a bunch of yards cause Gruden ran him 300 times per game. It was the only noticable 3 week span of his career. Great kid. Humble guy. Heart the size of Texas.....very average football player who was very injury prone. Should have been taken in the 3rd round, not the 5th pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boid, You got that right!  Graham was a baller.  Caddy was a baller before he got hurt.  Alstott was a baller.    Dunn was a baller.  These guys were true Buccaneer warriors.    Why anyone insults them is beyond me.  If “Buc fans” want to insult someone, go with a guy like Josh Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freetard MOJO!DTN Mojo!  HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Remember this old sig?  LOLjava-sig-simms-character.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Alstott was my favorite back to watch.  Remember when he scored that 2 point conversion to beat the Skins?  Awesome!td-alstott.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never forget that Alstott conversion.  So damned close!He was my favorite running back to watch for the Bucs.  Just a truck load, and most importantly, FUN to watch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Those were the days….Hopefully they get Manziel and things are fun again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1 to Manziel!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But calling him average is pushing it...Graham was twice the back Carnell was.  That is true.

No doubt about it!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep. It use to infuriate me year after year when EG wouldn’t get his opportunity to be a major contributor. When he came in due to Cadillac injury in 2007, and again in 2008, he showed he was a legit every down back that could do it all. Yet he was never given his shot. We just kept trying to make it work with Caddy. Then eventually Blount. He got over 100 carries twice in his 8 year career in Tampa….and it is a damn shame! He should have been getting around 150 carries and 50 receptions every year. Not only would he have been one of Tampa’s all time greatest RBs….but splitting the load would have made Caddy better and last longer.

Please wait…

Viewing 76 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.