Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Camp preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers July, 17, 2014 By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com camp_zpsec88187d.png NFL Nation's Pat Yasinskas examines the three biggest issues facing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers heading into training camp. Josh McCown needs to play like he did last season: McCown’s been a backup most of his career. But he played the best football of his life last season for Chicago after starter Jay Cutler went down with an injury. That was enough to convince the Bucs that McCown can be a productive starter. McCown has history with Lovie Smith, and he already has established himself as one of Tampa Bay’s leaders. The Bucs have made it clear that they view Mike Glennon as their quarterback of the future. But the best-case scenario is that Glennon never even gets on the field this season. If he doesn’t, that means McCown is playing well. At 35, McCown has a chance to firmly establish himself as a starter for the first time in his career. His chances of succeeding are good because he's surrounded by good skill-position players such as Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. Carl Nicks’ health is a key: The left guard played only two games last season while dealing with a toe injury and a MRSA infection. Nicks repeatedly has said he expects to be ready for training camp. But, as of the team’s June minicamp, Nicks hadn’t even started running or cutting. He’s admitted that there is permanent damage to his foot and said he’ll have to play through pain the rest of his career. It all sounds shaky, and you have to wonder if Nicks really can make it back and if he’ll be the same player. The Bucs need Nicks to be what he was earlier in his career. When he’s healthy, Nicks is one of the best guards in the league. He could be the anchor of what has the potential to be a very good offensive line. If Nicks isn’t fully recovered, there’s a sharp drop-off to rookie Kadeem Edwards and veterans Jamon Meredith and Oniel Cousins. The pass rush needs to flourish: Smith prides himself on having teams that play strong defense. The Bucs seem to have some talent on defense. But to hit their full potential, they need the pass rush to be strong. The pass rush was a weakness last season, and that’s why the Bucs signed free agents Michael Johnson and Clinton McDonald. The Bucs believe Johnson and Adrian Clayborn can bring a strong pass rush from the outside, and McDonald and Gerald McCoy can do the same from the inside. One of the requirements for the Tampa 2 defense is for there to be a strong pass rush from the front four. If the Bucs get that, they’ll be in good shape defensively. The Bucs are in good shape at linebacker and in the secondary. If the pass rush shows up, this defense has a chance to be special.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a season preview…  not a camp preview.C'mon Man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 biggest worries for me:New coaches and players - lots of new faces, new plays and formations, and philosophies. A completely different team than last year. How quickly can they come together and be on the same page?O line - easily our weakest link last year. If they can block it doesn't matter who we have at qb or RB. Overall depth- it's still a pretty young team. I'm not sure we have the depth to compete with the best. I think were still a bit of time away from being a consistent good team but it's the nfl and anything can happen. All they need is to get some bounces their way early and hope they get on the same page early than later. I'm not saying it will be another bad year. I'm just saying it could take time before it looks like something really good. I expect it to at some point because the team has lots of talent. Unfortunately time is something that needs to work in your favor and not be an issue in this league. Or you find yourself in a hole before you know it. While good teams who already get it and are together are winning games every weekend and locking down that playoff spot. I do think the team will be much better and much more competitive. They will just play much smarter football than years past. But it could take time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nicks is irrelevant and needs to be treated as a sunk cost.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nicks starts on opening day.  Exactly right Blind Melon, this sounds like it has been written after camp.  C’mon Pat, we dont ask for much, just that you pretend that you are covering the Bucs for a big conglomerate or something and that you are at least somewhat interested in it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man I freaking hope you’re right about Nicks. I just don’t see it but I hope to God I’m wrong. If he’s healthy and can play somewhere in the same neighborhood of the way he used to then we’re in good shape. It’ll help Collins and it means there’s an even better competition for the RG spot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nicks starts on opening day.  Exactly right Blind Melon, this sounds like it has been written after camp.  C'mon Pat, we dont ask for much, just that you pretend that you are covering the Bucs for a big conglomerate or something and that you are at least somewhat interested in it.

It seems like Yasinksas just reads the NFCS blogs and message boards and simply regurgitates the popular opinions. Bet our rival fans feel much the same. Hell, I'll bet an intelligent Atlanta fan could debate me on the state of the South.  The problem is finding one.... err.Bass, Nicks may very well start opening day.  It's game 4 that worries me. It should worry you too. The defensive line should be good enough, secondary too.  My biggest worry  is if Foster playing two steps back and having to cover.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I predict we will be drafting a guard early next year…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I predict we will be drafting a guard early next year...

Not a bad idea but history is not on our side there drafting guards there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not worried.It's not as if trading "waiting around for the pill guy with our underwear off" or, "toes on the line boy," for "lets concentrate on the game guys" is a bad thing.Lovie will have a plan for everything. It may not be a world beating results, but it will be respectable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, we should know a lot more about Nicks by the end of next week. He passed is physical earlier, so I suspect he should pass his camp physical as well unless he had a setback. A month ago, Nicks said he was going to remain in Tampa and finish his rehab under the Bucs trainers. If there is going to bad news about Nicks, I bet the team gets it out early.

3 biggest worries for me:New coaches and players - lots of new faces, new plays and formations, and philosophies. A completely different team than last year. How quickly can they come together and be on the same page?O line - easily our weakest link last year. If they can block it doesn't matter who we have at qb or RB. Overall depth- it's still a pretty young team. I'm not sure we have the depth to compete with the best. I think were still a bit of time away from being a consistent good team but it's the nfl and anything can happen. All they need is to get some bounces their way early and hope they get on the same page early than later. I'm not saying it will be another bad year. I'm just saying it could take time before it looks like something really good. I expect it to at some point because the team has lots of talent. Unfortunately time is something that needs to work in your favor and not be an issue in this league. Or you find yourself in a hole before you know it. While good teams who already get it and are together are winning games every weekend and locking down that playoff spot. I do think the team will be much better and much more competitive. They will just play much smarter football than years past. But it could take time.

Unlike the prior two coaching hires, Smith had a lot of his coaching staff lined up and ready to go immediately after he was hired. I really like the guys that were brought in, so I think I'm less concerned about that than I was under Morris and Schiano. I only wish that Smith had retained Byner as running backs coach.I share your worries about the offensive line, but every team in the South has questions about their offensive line. We have 3 solid players and some guys with potential. If those 3 guys hold up, I think we'll be fine, if any one of them goes down though, I think we'll be in trouble.As far as depth, I think we have a lot of good depth except in the offensive line. I like Glennon backing up McCown. I think we have good depth at the TE position, excellent depth at RB. At WR, we could survive with what we have should Evans or Jackson go down, but while I wouldn't call it strong, I think we're okay there.Defensively, we have more talent/depth than I've seen since 2000-2002. We have a lot of depth in the secondary. I like Fletcher as depth to all 3 linebackers and even the defensive line is deeper than we had last season. Could we survive losing McCoy or David? No, but few teams can lose a superstar and not be exploited by targeting the backups.Overall, I think we are in good shape. My worries are:Is Josh McCown the quarterback that he showed last season or not? If not, we are likely a .500 ball club.Can Tedford call a good offense that makes use of McCown like Trestman did in Chicago? I think it's no coincidence that we picked up Evans and Sims. I'm sure that Tedford has studied how Trestman used McCown last season.How fast can the offense gel? Lots of new pieces on that side of the ball, maybe too many for them to play well enough early on when we need to jump out to a few victories. I think the improvement in the coaching staff and the defense can get us to .500. How the offense plays will determine if we can go past that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are just a few key injuries from youngry….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are just a few key injuries from youngry....

That could be said about a lot of teams.And the first year of 'youngry' wasn't too bad... I'd take 10-6 this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are just a few key injuries from youngry....

That could be said about a lot of teams.And the first year of 'youngry' wasn't too bad... I'd take 10-6 this year.

Patsy schedule and we did have a nice run from the franchise QB.  It's a shame he quit the Taco Belle diet.  But yeah, we've been laughed out ever since.

Please wait…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.