Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Simply put, Bucs can’t lose this onefenn_zpsfeu6k3pk.jpg “It’s big,” Coach Lovie Smith, right, says of Sunday's game. “We win the first game. What does that get you? We’re 1-0. That means we could be 1-15. It’s big, though. Beat Tennessee. Make the playoffs. Win the Super Bowl.”JASON BEHNKEN By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff Published: September 11, 2015  TAMPA — You can’t lose this game.Lose this game and you might as well use the pirate ship as kindling. Lose this game and people ask when Lightning camp starts. Lose this game and tickets stop selling, clocks go backward, computers stop working. Death, destruction, pestilence, the Bucs offensive line. Lose this game and the Glazers consider downsizing (“Ed, you’re out”). Lose the season opener against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday and the Rays head to Montreal, Steven Stamkos leaves for Toronto.Lose and you should have taken Marcus.The Bucs can’t lose this game.“It’s big,” Lovie Smith said with a smile. “We win the first game. What does that get you? We’re 1-0. That means we could be 1-15. It’s big, though. Beat Tennessee. Make the playoffs. Win the Super Bowl.”Steady, Lovie, steady.Start small.You don’t lose this game.There will be eyeballs on this game, as many as you’ll ever see for two losers, a pair of 2-14 teams. By the way, kids, this is only the fourth time since the merger that a season opener has featured teams which had two wins or fewer the previous season.The NFL usually likes to hide a mess like that.But Sunday brings an unprecedented opening matchup: the Nos. 1 and 2 draft picks, quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. A fascinating game. With draft revisionists waiting to pounce.This might be the most important opener in Bucs history.They can’t lose it.Even if Jameis outplays Marcus, they can’t lose it.True, a win Sunday guarantees nothing. But a loss is an earthquake.Bucs fans have their arms folded. The fact that there will probably be loads of empty seats Sunday, even with Jameis, says something.Lots of folded arms for Jameis, too. There’s usually a bounce, a spike in interest, when you have a No. 1 pick and it’s a quarterback.We’re still waiting on that bounce.Large game.You can’t lose it.“It’s huge, because it’s the beginning,” Winston said.Kid got right to the heart of it, didn’t he?“We didn’t win a game at home last year — none,” Bucs defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said. “If we want to get to where we want to get, which is California … as far as record goes, it starts Sunday. It’s a huge game for us. A lot of people say, ‘Well, it’s the first game, it’s a long season.’ Well, not when you went 2-14 and you didn’t win any games at home last year. Our fans, greatest fans on Earth, deserve to see a winner, especially at home.”The Super Bowl is in California this season.Steady, Gerald, steady.They can’t lose this game.I just checked. The Titans were awful last season. They lost their final 10 games. This might be the Bucs’ only game this season where they’ll actually have more talent than the other guys.You don’t lose this game.Yes, there are items of note. We checked again: The Bucs were awful last season, too. And Winston might not have Mike Evans, he of the twanging hammy, on Sunday. And there’s that offensive line. And there’ll be a Tennessee defense overseen by ageless wonder Dick LeBeau, who designed the North’s blitz packages at Gettysburg.No matter. You can’t lose this game.OK, if Jameis looks decent and it comes down to one play and Tennessee wins and …Forget it. There are the games right after that, a journey to the dome in New Orleans. Then there’s a trip to Houston.Mr. Winston, Mr. Watt. Mr. Watt, Mr. Winston.This season could be over before it begins.You can’t lose this game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I.Hate. Martin.Fennelly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This guy must get paid by the number of lines he writes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t say its a MUST win. But it sure as hell is important. It would set the tone for the season going forward. And its a very beatable team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't say its a MUST win. But it sure as hell is important. It would set the tone for the season going forward. And its a very beatable team.

It's not a must win because we aren't a playoff bound team. But, a win would go a long way in the eyes of the fanbase.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't say its a MUST win. But it sure as hell is important. It would set the tone for the season going forward. And its a very beatable team.

It's not a must win because we aren't a playoff bound team. But, a win would go a long way in the eyes of the fanbase.

Donk, either way, a win or a loss, I expect overreaction central here on the Red.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t finish this article.I got about halfway through. His staccato writing style just grates. It's hard to follow. Too many incomplete sentences.You can't finish this article.You wish that there was more meat. More substance. Sentences that have a complete roundness to them.He doesn't do that.It's brevity at the sacrifice of wit.You can't finish this article.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donk, either way, a win or a loss, I expect overreaction central here on the Red.

We win and it's because of Jaboo, we lose it's because of the Bucs. That's what I'm expecting IMO. I'm stoked because it looks like we might miss the weather. Maybe I read that wrong?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We win and it's because of Jaboo, we lose it's because of the Bucs. That's what I'm expecting IMO. I'm stoked because it looks like we might miss the weather. Maybe I read that wrong?

I am just going to enjoy the game really. But if we win I expect some fans here to be talking Super Bowl. And if we lose, I expect a few here to be talking 0-16 and the #1 pick in the draft two years in a row. I don't think that has ever happened before? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s not a must win for the sake of a playoff run but because of franchise implications. The obvious elephant here is Jameis vs. Mariota and our fear that as a generally bad franchise, we did it again and picked the wrong guy. Even though 1 game essentially means nothing in the scale of careers but it’ll be a good sight and motivator to know that we at least picked the right guy for that game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What Fennelly misses is even if da Bucs win, is celebrating a win against a 2-14 team ever appropriate? It’s really at best just a step in the right direction…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“That means we could be 1-15!”Lmfao!! Holy sh1t, thats HALF your win total dude!!!(Smh)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am just going to enjoy the game really. But if we win I expect some fans here to be talking Super Bowl. And if we lose, I expect a few here to be talking 0-16 and the #1 pick in the draft two years in a row. I don't think that has ever happened before?

I'm going to have a good time regardless. And, I agree with everything you're saying.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What Fennelly misses is even if da Bucs win, is celebrating a win against a 2-14 team ever appropriate? It's really at best just a step in the right direction...

Agree. It would set the tone though. But gotta keep it in perspective.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

C’mon guys, get pumped!Lovie said we could be 1- 15!Seriously, no one else finds this hilarious?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I.Hate. Martin.Fennelly.

Lol agreed. He really is an awful writer...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It is a must win on so many levels.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

nudge me when we lose our 8th game........otherwise I'm all in and looking forward to plenty of wins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nudge me when we lose our 8th game........otherwise I'm all in and looking forward to plenty of wins.

See you around week 10-11

Please wait…

• vlagatta

See you around week 10-11

posting for posterity

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

You can't finish this article.I got about halfway through. His staccato writing style just grates. It's hard to follow. Too many incomplete sentences.You can't finish this article.You wish that there was more meat. More substance. Sentences that have a complete roundness to them.He doesn't do that.It's brevity at the sacrifice of wit.You can't finish this article.

Not much makes me LOL, and although I didn't - I definitely got a chuckle out of that.As for Fennelly...  He's right.We can't lose this game.There is no silver lining. No "while we lost, but Jameis looked good".While I'm a firm believer in the old axiom "you are what your record says you are", I do also think last season was somewhat of an anomaly.  Granted, we were no better than a 6-win team, at best, we were in quite a few games last year, and I think our roster had more upside than that of Sundays opponent.Just my opinion.I could be wrong.Go Bucs.

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

C'mon guys, get pumped!Lovie said we could be 1- 15!Seriously, no one else finds this hilarious?

Hey sport...  Think that might have been Lovie's dry attempt at sarcasm?  **eyes tickle my pineal gland as they roll back***

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whats that old sayin? Win the games you are supposed to win? This feels like one of those games to me.

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

Whats that old sayin? Win the games you are supposed to win? This feels like one of those games to me.

We have a winner...

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Must win is to harsh. But with tough games ahead like the Texans and Dallas it would be nice to put this one in the win column.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rah took the team to 10-6. The best record in the past decade, but it was discounted because most of the teams we beat had a losing record. This game, win or lose, will have no cred. Only the final record of the season will and it will depend on whether we beat up on some big dogs or preyed upon the weak.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

C'mon guys, get pumped!Lovie said we could be 1- 15!Seriously, no one else finds this hilarious?

Hey sport...  Think that might have been Lovie's dry attempt at sarcasm?  **eyes tickle my pineal gland as they roll back***

Lovie trying to be funny? Not possible!

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

lose this game and it shows you all that the Bucs picked the wrong guy.  better pray they don’t lose.  so much pressure.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lose this game and it shows you all that the Bucs picked the wrong guy.  better pray they don't lose.  so much pressure.

I'm sure Tebow will have a helluva game today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like last season, there is a lot of hope and excitement leading up to this game. There is, in general I believe, a positive vibe for not only this season but for the fact the Buccaneers are finally conceding they are building for the future. With such a young team with so many rookies at positions there are going to be mistakes. But I believe there will be more patience reflected by the fans because of that fact.But this game in particular is VERY important. This IS a winnable game, a game in which the Buccaneers are actually favored to win at home. They do that and most of us are very pleased and looking forward to playing the Saints a week from today. They bomb and it will not be pretty for Lovie for long.We SHOULD win, I EXPECT we will and we will all be very disappointed if we do not and/or look bad doing so.GAME DAY!! GO BUCS!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I.Hate. Martin.Fennelly.

One of the reasons I no longer subscribe to the Tribune

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.