From the NFL Combine, to college pro days, to private workouts and interviews, come April 30th, the Buccaneers will have spent an equal amount of time with both Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. But according to one NFL Insider, the evaluation process is over and a decision has already been made.
Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported on Friday, “The Bucs brass is increasingly sold on Jameis Winston with the first overall pick.”
While many have speculated the move, there is always the possibility of a smokescreen, however La Canfora is confident that’s not the case. And he’s not the only one.
It seems the closer we get to April, the more experts forecast Winston to be the No. 1 overall selection. Charles Davis recently put the Florida State star at the top of his mock draft after previously being the last person on NFL Network to predict Mariota. Last week, his colleague Daniel Jeremiah said during his “Move the Sticks” podcast, “I don’t think they (Tampa Bay) have a choice. I think they have to take Jameis Winston with the first overall pick.”
Although rare, there have been times when the team with the No. 1 pick has announced their intent prior to the draft – but don’t expect that in 2015. Even if the Buccaneers are indeed sold on Winston and have already moved on to the second round, they’ll likely stick to their secretive approach. Expect the franchise’s most important decision to remain internal until Roger Goodell says, “The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are on the clock.”
Zach is entering his 3rd year covering the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a writer for PewterReport.com. Since 2014, he's handled a large part of the beat reporting responsibilities at PR, attending all media gatherings and publishing and promoting content daily. Zach is a native of Sarasota, FL, and a graduate of the University of Tampa. He has also covered high school football for the Tampa Tribune and the NFL for Pro Player Insiders.
Contact him at: email@example.com