The Bucs’ shortcomings after another 5-11 season have been well documented, but averaging 415 yards of offense per game did bring some success in one aspect – Fantasy Football.
With the overhaul of the Bucs coaching staff and the hiring of Bruce Arians, the Bucs still are believed to have a high valued offense in 2019, both on the field and in Fantasy.
Matthew Berry, a fantasy football expert of ESPN, wrote 100 facts for the upcoming 2019 season and highlighted the Bucs for a number of his topics. He analyzed the play of Jameis Winston, finding that Winston’s deep ball completions of 4.6 per game would have been top of the list in the NFL last season. Winston’s accuracy on deep balls has been the subject of many discussions during his time on the Bucs.
Berry also went on further to breakdown Winston’s fantasy football value in comparison with the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Ben Roethlissberger, Matt Ryan and Jared Goff, explaining that Winston has put up similar in production in passing yards with fewer games.
Another Bucs player that was included in Berry’s 100 facts was tight end O.J. Howard. Even though his season was cut short from an ankle injury, Howard was still a top ten tight end in fantasy production last year, with stats that rivaled Zach Ertz and George Kittle. This opens the door for an even bigger 2019 season, barring if Howard can remain healthy for a full season.
Here is an excerpt from Berry on Winston and Howard.
“26. In his nine starts last season, Jameis Winston averaged 4.6 deep completions and 11.1 deep attempts per game. Both would have led the NFL if he qualified.
27. In those nine starts last season, Winston averaged 294.2 passing yards per game.
28. That would’ve been fourth most among all QBs last season, behind only Roethlisberger, Mahomes and Ryan.
29. Since the start of 2017, Winston has 11 games with at least 300 passing yards (tied for third most).
30. The only three QBs with more such games in that span are Jared Goff (13), Ryan (12) and Roethlisberger (12).
30a. Ryan has started 32 games in that span, Big Ben and Goff 31.
30b. Winston has started just 22!
95. In 2018, O.J. Howard was a top-10 TE in seven of his 10 games played. Only Travis Kelce (81.3%) and Zach Ertz (75%) were better.
96. Howard had at least 50 yards in 80% of his games last season. Only Kelce and George Kittle had higher rates.”